Well I started my Revell 1/32 RF-4C today. Did some work on the cockpit.

Don't think I'll get much time the rest of the week. Kids have 7 regular game and a tournment starts on friday for my son which means 3 or 4 more games. Also going to an airshow on saturday.

Hope to post some pic's later.

Mike

Hi Andy,

The 1/32 RF-4C is based on RoG's 1/32 F-4F. Several of the sprues have been swapped out. You get new front end and cockpit and seat spures. New unslatted wing tips. A differnet fin cap. A sprue with cameras and both the short and long afterburner cans. You also get both the McAir F-15 style and the Royal Jet style centerline drop tanks. I will have to check my kit to see if the stabilizers are slotted or unslotted. I can't remember off the top of my head right now.

Oh and there was also a boxing of the RF-4C by RoG. It had an RF-4C form the Kentucky Air Gaurd in SEA Wrap around camo on the box top.

Here the what it should look like when done. The decals are from AirDoc.

I need to give credit to dmthamade for hooking me up with the decals for free! :thumbsup:

MIke

Edited by P-38 guy

Just as a note on the chronology, the Revell RF-4C is based on the new-tool RoG RF-4E kit, and is just that kit witn a new sprue including instrument panels (the RF-4E kit, surprisingly, just had decals for the IPs and side consoles), and exhausts. The F-4F kit came next, based on the same mold, but with the gun nose, slated wing, and missiles. The F-4E kit was last, being the F-4F with a new sprue with new stabs, a couple of AIM-7s, and finally a correct fin cap.

Thanks for the info guys. Would love to get a hold of this kit, is it readily available?

Just looked at the review link provided by David W, it's been around for a while yet I have not heard of it. Is this kit hard to come by.

Cheers :banana:

Andy G

Edited by Andy Gudbergsson
You're not doing the Birmingham bird????? Heresay! :rolleyes:

Happy modeling,

Jim :thumbsup:

dmthamade had gave me these decals and had used those and I wanted to do something beside the kit decals. I haven't seen a 1/32 model done in these markings so I firgured that would be a good choice.

Mike

• 4 months later...

Well after letting this sit for a long time I have got back to building. Cockpit is done and installed and fuselage half's are together. Had started on making seamless intakes like Pierre had done but decided I wanted to get this finished on time so I'm going on with out them.

Now my question is what color should the inside of the intake be? From the front edge of the intake to back edge of the intake ramp. Most photo's I have seen of RF-4C's in the Hill scheme look like it is gray like the airframe. The instructions say white.

Mike

Still need an answer to my question. What color should the inside of the intake be? From the front edge of the intake to back edge of the intake ramp. Most photo's I have seen of RF-4C's in the Hill scheme look like it is gray like the airframe. The instructions say white. I know further back is white it's just that front area I'm not sure about. I added a picture to help, just the inside area where I circled.

Mike

rf-4c.jpg

Edited by P-38 guy
Mike, the white starts a few feet back on the real aircraft. The gray extends back until it meets the white.

Jake

Mike,

A post on the F-4 Discussion group said the camo extended three feet into the intake. I'll ask again and let you know.

Gene K

Had started on making seamless intakes like Pierre had done

Mike,

Can you point me to where Pierre did his seamless intakes, please?

Thanks,

Gene K

Starts on page 25 of his build.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/index.php?...ic=42471&st=360

Mike

Thanks, Mike, for the link. I came to almost the same solution, but didn't use any "tube" reinforcement. Great idea. I also found that just a round engine face works just as well as the bulkhead approach.

I used .010" plastic in both 1/48 and 1/72, along with Tenex 7 to weld just the edges of the plastic to the inside leading edge of the intake as well as a section of the top and bottom of the kit part. Attaching the wing bottom actually gives a little "lift" to the bottom of the duct - just like in the 1:1 F-4 where duct passes over the spar. Requires a little trimming at the bottom rear of the kit's splitter plate.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don, those decals were great! I owe you one.

Here it is, the rest of the photo's will be on the GB web-site.

Revell 1/32 RF-4C, Verlinden RF-4C update, AirDOC decals. 69-0370, 38th TRS, 26 TFW, USAFE during Desert Storm.

The paint scheme for this aircraft was a little different from the normal Hill scheme.

I'm not the greatest picture taker. The weathering didn't show up in the pictures very well to much flash maybe?

Mike

Edited by P-38 guy