Trumpeter Wyvern

I just bought one (1/72nd), wow! mouldings look great. one problem though, i can't find paint colours for the numbers in instructions! like to know colours of cockpit (including seat), u/c bays & wing fold mech. Also anyone know if on a real Wyvern, if airbrake can be deployed when wings foled?

Cockpit black, apparently the side, angled sections of the instrument panel were brown while the center section was black. Everything else in the cockpit was black. Wheelbays sky (the underside color), gear struts silver paint. Wingfold most likely sky. Note that the wingtips were folded manually on S.4s, on the deck they would be straight, if they were taking the plane below deck where the ceiling space was an issue they would fold the tips by hand.

Inner MLG doors should be closed on the ground, you will need to modify the kit parts. Flaps also appear to have been in the up position most of the time when on the ground, and the speedbrakes closed. I am not sure exactly why Trumpeter chose to mold the speedbrakes as one piece with the flaps so that the flaps are down and the speedbrakes open. That strikes me as a very unusual combination - if the flaps are down you are trying to increase lift, if the speedbrakes are out you are trying to increase drag, and those two conditions are generally not desirable simultaneously. :huh:

Edit: Except as Graham has pointed out below. :wave:

Edited by LanceB

One possible explanation may lie in the poor throttle response of early jet engines (and presumably turboprops too?) On approach to the carrier the flaps will be in landing position, highest lift but high drag. The engine will not be required to be at high revs. Having the airbrakes out will increase the drag, requiring higher throttle setting. So in the event of a rejected landing the aircraft can retract the airbrakes to reduce the drag, whilst at the same time having less throttle lag before reaching climb-away power.

I do not know if this was true for the Wyvern, but similar techniques were in use for carrier approaches, and indeed still may be (though the throttle response is much less of a problem nowadays).

Good response, Graham, hadn't thought of that, but considering the Wyvern's throttle troubles, I would bet landings were carried out just that way. Still, "on the deck" I think that would be an unusual combination. But if someone were doing a diorama of a Wyvern catching the wire...

:cheers: thanks guts. i want to do my model with as much 'open/down' area's as possible, just wondering what was if wings were folded! i have a few pics, but none with folded wings. i've also noticed from a pic i have of a/c codod '278' (one i'm gona do), that the camera port is'nt there, any Wyvern experts out there with answeres? :)

Actually, the wingtips only folded on the very early Wyverns that had the completely clear caopies, not the hardback versions seen in the kit, so pretty much all need to be glued flush.

I am doing my first build with the airbrakes closed and the wings unfolded, I may even put the flaps up. Building the wing unfolded is pretty tricky but can be done, the flaps will need the actuators trimmed to put them up but should look OK.

Parts fit so far is really good and carefull assembly will mean minimal filler. I have the Monochrome boxing from HLJ so at least the decal sheet includes the Suez striping.

Cheers

Tony

Actually, the wingtips only folded on the very early Wyverns that had the completely clear caopies, not the hardback versions seen in the kit, so pretty much all need to be glued flush.

It has been brought up elsewhere that according to the 4+ book, while early Wyverns had powered wingtip folds (they folded automatically when the wingfold lever was actuated), the linkage was disconnected on S.4s so the wingtips would not fold when the main wingfold did. However, the tips remained foldable, they just had to be unlocked and folded manually. On some British carriers of the time ceiling height in the hangar bay was still an issue, although on the newer carriers the Wyvern would fit below decks without folding the wingtips.

Personally, I suspect another factor in the decision to remove the automatic fold mechanism was corrosion prevention. Leaving the wingtips folded on the flight deck is an invitation for water and junk to accumulate in a near-vertical opening. It would have made more sense to leave the wingtips extended in that environment, and fold them only when needed for height clearance.