Best P-40 kit?

Gunpowder,

it depends on the variant you are wanting to make.

P-40B - I think the Trumpter kit is the best but it's not perfect. The P-40E is clearly the Hasegawa kit (it's very nice!). AMT makes a P-40K and mauve(re -released as eduard) makes a nice P-40N..

If you are looking for the best "kit" and don't really care about which variant of the P-40 you are making, the Hasegawa kit is the bomb..

Regards,

--Frank

Best detailed is the Hasegawa , however it was engineered by an idiot .

Eduard /Mauve boxings of the M/N should'nt be ignored, neither should the AMT/AmTech, since the time spent getting the Hasegawa kits sorted , with more inserts than a cheap whore on a Saturday night, could equally be spent on detailing the other Brands. Don't forget the Pro-Modeller kit either.

:cheers:

Anybody built the HobbyCraft 1/48 P-40F kit? I'm interested in building the P-40F that Lt. Col Bates flew. saw the HobbyCraft kit on Ebay, but sounds like the seller is a real jerk from his feedbacks, and bidding restrictions.

Thanks

Don923(flyLo)

And what about P-40's in 1/72 ? Which kits would you guys recommend ?

Prowler,

For the early versions (B/C), I would go with the AML kit (just be aware it's limited run). For the P-40E and P-40N both Hasegawa and Academy make nice kits; although the windscreen and propeller spinner on the Academy kits look wierd to me.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
Best detailed is the Hasegawa , however it was engineered by an idiot .

Eduard /Mauve boxings of the M/N should'nt be ignored, neither should the AMT/AmTech, since the time spent getting the Hasegawa kits sorted , with more inserts than a cheap whore on a Saturday night, could equally be spent on detailing the other Brands. Don't forget the Pro-Modeller kit either.

:lol:

Terry,

the inserts aren't that bad.

If you haven't seen it yet, I am working on one right now.

My Hasegawa P-40E

Edited by FrankC
And what about P-40's in 1/72 ? Which kits would you guys recommend ?

Prowler,

For the early versions (B/C), I would go with the AML kit (just be aware it's limited run). For the P-40E and P-40N both Hasegawa and Academy make nice kits; although the windscreen and propeller spinner on the Academy kits look wierd to me.

Regards,

Murph

Murph,

so the the Academy kit is jacked?

:lol:

Edited by FrankC

I don't have the Academy kit, but from what I've seen the canopy looks too tall and the spinner is to large in diameter. I've got a pile of the old Hasegawa kits..they're very nice, with engraved panel lines, and fit well..although they have no interior to speak of.

As mentioned, there really isn't a good mainstream option for a P-40B/C in 1/72 (I still can't figure out why.) Frog made a passable one back in the 60s, but it was fairly basic. Academy did one in the early 90s, but it's thoroughly forgettable..basically a warmed-over Frog with engraved panel lines and a really awful canopy.

AML and Pavla both make the P-40B/C, but they're limited-run kits, and would require a fair amount of work.

I'm not sure if anybody makes a P-40F in 1/72. I made one years ago by grafting the tail from the Hasegawa "N" onto an "E" and modifying the nose (the chin intake is still the wrong shape, but I'm reasonably happy with it.)

Cheers!

P-40F01.jpg

P-40F02.jpg

Steve

Hi Frank,

I've got 3 Hasegawa E and a couple of N. Point is its the way the Kit is engineered that gets on my wick .I got the kits now as the fit should be better with the early run.I'm going to do cross kitting with them to get a couple of P40 K10 and an R-1. For straight E and M/N I'll use the Amtech/ AMT/ Eduard /Mauve kits I have

:thumbsup:

Frank ,

Just had a look at your model . Certainly the way to deal with it , much as I intend to do . I had a problem with the first Hasegawa Hurricane I did . Subsequent models I attached the nose halves to each fuselage half , avoiding a lot of filling .

And the exact same thing occurs with their Typhoon, the cockpit inserts, if glued together, and inserted later as a plug, will result in the tub being much smaller than the surrounding fusleage. Much better to attach each insert to each fuselage half as Frank demonstrates with his '40, then fill in the middle with thatever medium works for each situation. For the Typhoon fuselage, I used plastic card and a touch of Acryl to fill the inner gap where the inserts meet. :rolleyes:

Hello Mate ,

Yes you're right .That's my biggest complaint about Hasegawa Kits- the way they engineer them to get multiple variants .Thanks for the Typhoon tips

One thing I've noticed in the P40N kit is the wheels appear to be 30" wheels -no 27" alternatives . Though if doing an RAF A/C it isn't an issue, since it was found that the 27" alloys cracked due to higher than designed operating weghts. They were replaced by 30" Steel wheels. I don't know if the USAAF had similar problems.

:rolleyes: