UFO - SF-TV-series

For styrene kits, there aren't many choices.

Bandai did the Interceptor back in the 70s in 1/72 scale, but it is very expensive today due to its collector value. The kit is nice though with the only real shortcoming being the cockpit. Bandai also did a small scale SkyDiver as well and it is even more sought after (and expensive). Bandai also did a UFO and it is the hardest one of the bunch to find (and very expensive as a result).

Imai did two kits. First was a Sky-One and it needs help. It looks like a Sky One, but it has a lot of shape accuracy issues and needs a fair amount of work to look good. They also did a ShadoMobile that looks pretty good and I've seen some nice models done out of the box. Both kits have been discontinued since Imai finally went belly up about 3 years ago. But, they can still be found for reasonable prices. Aoshima has the Imai molds and they did recently reissue the Shado moonbase, but that is more like a toy with some mini-models rather then a serious model. It is a cool toy though. Wave in Japan did a resin/vinyl Skydiver, but it is very tough to find. I've also heard of a resin Shado Moonbase from a Japanese firm.

The Konami stuff is very nice, but they aren't really "kits" like we would understand them, more like prepainted figurines. As for resin, Comet pretty much has that market although I do know of another company that did a nice model of the Lunar Module. Not sure if the module is still available though. In the states, the Comet stuff can be purchased from Federationmodels.com. Product Enterprises also offers diecasts of the Skydiver, Interceptor/UFO combo and is coming out with Shadomobiles as well. In Japan, Aoshima is also offering these in different boxes.

Got the Airfix Snap n Glue kit ( two actually in boxes) of the Angel Interceptor

Terrible dry transfers for the decals, well they are from 1981, SO I am not sure they will transfer.

Let me know if ya might be interested...

That is a nice kit, only problem is it's from Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, not UFO. I love the looks of that fighter though. The UFO Interceptor was a completely different animal with a big honkin missile up front.

The interceptor in question!

William, may be interested in one of those kits :thumbsup:

:lol:

MikeJ

Thanks Mike, Had a Brain Fart there.

Too many G. A. programs in my head at one time,

Just finished watching Thunderbirds are Go again on DVD...

I seem to remember a kit from the 70's for UFO, it had a cargo bay was in glow in the dark plastic and was a submersible..

Hmmm still looking and cant find it anywhere...

I was at a local hobby shop today and saw the UFO Interceptor, as well as an Aoshima Angel, Both a bit too pricey for my taste. the Angel was 60.00...

Some kits at "House of Horrors" are a good buy.. not all of them...

William G :D :wacko:

Edited by William G

The glow in the dark ship you refer to was probably the AMT UFO Mystery Ship. It looked sort of like a submarine with wings and a cargo bay with a scout ship in it. This was originally issued by AMT as the Leif Erikson Galactic Cruiser and it was an attempt by AMT to create a line of ship models that were original and not based on Star Trek. Sales of the kit weren't great though and the model was slightly retooled and eventually reissued as the "UFO Mystery Ship" in glow in the dark plastic sort of as part of their Star Trek kit line. I say "sort of" because the kit box didn't mention Trek in the kit description, but it was done in the same size box as the 18" Enterprise kit and one of the side panels advertised the Trek kits then currently available from AMT.

The ship did get used though in the Niven and Prounelle novel "The Mote in the God's Eye" as the INS MacArthur though. The authors based the ship on the layout of that model.

Edited by Jay Chladek

Well, I have seen a model apparently based concept illustrations that Niven and Prounelle had done for a possible movie adaptation based on their book. The model featured a main hull that looked more spherical. But the Leif Erikson, lineage was still unmistakeable.

The information about their idea to use the AMT kit for MacArthur comes from a 1975 interview with the authors printed in "Galaxy" magazine and even the cover illustration shows the AMT Galactic Cruiser in its INS MacArthur role.

Edited by Jay Chladek

Jay

Thanks for that info, I can not recall ever seeing that kit...

Have you read the book at all....If you have not, I can heartily recommend it!

The Battlecruiser INS MacArthur is described as cylindrical, with blunt bow and stern. Interesting how they use a model to describe a ship which apparently differs in description :)

:D

MikeJ

Edited by madmike

Well, at the time (late 60s, early 70s) AMT didn't have worldwide contracts like they do today and I know Aurora sold AMT Trek kits in Europe and probably to Australia. Considering I have never seen a Leif Erikson or a UFO Mystery Ship in Aurora packaging, maybe they never got sold in Europe or Australia.

BTW, I did manage to find this cool link talking about the kit and its "Mote" connection:

http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~frank/le.html

Edited by Jay Chladek