MkXII retractable

MkXIV retractable

MkXVI retractable

MkXVIII retractable

PRXX1 retractable

F.21 retractable

F.22 retractable

F.24 retractable

Thanks Mungo!! The Peter Moss book I have seems to agree. I have another question ..

The Hasegawa 1/72 pointed wing spite is shown without the broad cord rudder is this correct?

All the pictures I can find of a pointed wing use the broad cord rudder..

I want to depict a MkVII...HF...any advice?

From British Aircraft of WWII

Supermarine Spitfire VII: High-altitude fighter evolved from Supermarine Spitfire VC (Supermarine Type 351) with pressurised cockpit, sliding hood, increased fuel capacity, rectractable tailwheel, two-stage, two-speed 1,565 hp Merlin 61 or 1,710 hp Merlin 64 (in Supermarine Spitfire F Mk VII) or 1,475 hp high-altitude Merlin 71 (Supermarine Spitfire HF Mk VII). Extended wing-tips usually fitted and, later aircraft, broad-chord rudder with extended tip. Prototype conversions of Mk VCs flown second half of 1942; 140 produced by Supermarine, first deliveries September 1942 and operations began same month. One Mk VII to USAAF at Wright Field in April 1943.

Air and Space Museum Spitfire Mk VII

Hiya,

I'm pretty sure that some Mk XIIs had fixed tailwheels and some had a retractable unit. Indeed, a quick look through "Spitfire the History" showed pictures with both types of tailwheel. I shall try to find out why later!

Cheers,

Mark.

Early Mk.VIIs had the early round-top rudder and standard Day Fighter camouflage. Later Mk.VIIs had the pointed, broad chord rudder and the High Altitude scheme. It could well be that earlier aircraft were repainted but I haven't seen such.

The Mk.XII was a bit if an oddball, behind the Griffon being basically a Mk.Vc wing with a revised structure to the rear fuselage. Some had Mk.V tails, some had Mk.VIII, apparently because they were being built when the Supermarine line changed from one type to the other. This lead to the myth of 50 being based on Mk.Vs and 50 on Mk.VIIIs.