2005 Saskatchewan Centennial Airshow preview...

Hey everyone,

I have been a long time reader of ARC and for some reason just discovered the discussion forum (Always went straight to the gallery :thumbsup: ) Anyways, I just thought I would inform you all about our airshow that is coming up in a few weeks here in Moose Jaw. We have put together one of the finest flying display lineups in North America as well as a static display lineup that hasn't been seen in Moose Jaw in over a decade. Our airshow takes place at 15Wing Moose Jaw on July 9 & 10. Here is what is already confirmed:

Flying Display

-431 Air Demonstration Squadron "Snowbirds" CAF (15Wing Moose Jaw)

-CF-18A Hornet Tactical Demonstration CAF (4Wing Cold Lake)

-A-10 Thunderbolt II West Coast Tactical Demonstration US Air Force (Davis Monthan AFB)

-F/A-18F Super Hornet Tactical Demonstration US Navy (VFA-122, NAS Lemoore)

-F-15C Eagle x2 Flypasts US Air Force (Tyndall Air Force Base)

-CP-140 Aurora Maritime Patrol Demonstration (14Wing Greenwood)

-CC-115 Buffalo Search & Rescue Demonstration CAF (19Wing Comox)

-CC-130 Hercules Air to Air Refueling Demonstration CAF (17Wing Winnipeg)(verbal)

-CT-155 Hawk x2 Flypasts NFTC (15Wing Moose Jaw) (Actual training missions)

-CT-156 Harvard II x2 Flypasts NFTC (15Wing Moose Jaw) (Actual training missions)

-Canadian Forces Skyhawks Parachute Team

-CL-215 Waterbomber Demonstration (Northern Air Operations)(Govt of Sask) (verbal)

-Masters of Disaster

-Jim Leroy "Bulldog" Pitts Special

-Jimmy Franklin Jet Powered Waco

-Bobby Younkin Airshows

-Les Shockley "Shockwave" Jet Truck

...more TBA.

Static Display

CAF CP-140 Aurora x2 (19Wing)

CAF CT-142 Dash-8 (17Wing)

CAF CH-146 Griffon Helicopter (Edmonton)

CAF CC-144 Challenger (Ottawa)

CAF CC-138 Twin Otter (Yellowknife)

CAF CH-124 Sea King Helicopter (19Wing)

CAF CT-156 Harvard II (15Wing)

CAF CT-155 Hawk x2 (15Wing)

CAF CC-130 Hercules (17Wing)

CAF CT-114 Tutor - Snowbirds (15Wing)

CAF CF-18B Hornet (4Wing)

UK Army Air Corp Gazelle Helicopter

UH-1 Huey Helicopter (Minot AFB)

C-17 Globemaster (Altus AFB)

C-21 Learjet (Andrews AFB)

F-15D Eagle x2 (Tyndall AFB)

F-16C Viper x3 (Hill AFB)

KC-10 Extender (McGuire AFB)

F-15C Eagle x2 (Tyndall AFB)

F-14 Tomcat (NAS Oceana)

F/A-18F Super Hornet (VX-9 China Lake)

F/A-18F Super Hornet (VFA-122)

AV-8B Harrier II x3 (VX-9 China Lake)

S-3B Viking (NAS North Island)

KC-135R Stratotanker (Calif ANG)

FedEx B727-200

FedEx C208 Caravan

L-39 Albatros

King Air 90A (2CFTTS)

Bell 206 (2CFTTS)

T-28 Trojan

Pilatus PC-12 (RCMP)

Glastar & Seawind

Gyroplane

Ultralight

T- 67C Slingsby

Paraglider

Hope some of you can make it.

Jean-Guy aka James

2005 Saskatchewan Centennial Airshow

15Wing Moose Jaw

July 9 & 10, 2005

http://www.saskatchewanairshow.com

ps:

I too am an avid modeller so if you want to see some of my work then check out this webpage that was put together by a friend. I think it can only be downloaded so many times an hour so if it doesn't work then try again later.

http://ca.geocities.com/guysplanes

Edited by James15Wing

Thanks for the info...I'd love to return to YMJ with my Grummam Alley Cat but the old pension cheque just won't allow it.

I was one of the co-ordinators for the first BIG show in 1971. I looked after and organized the light aircraft fly-in and continued doing it for 5 years until I retired in 1976. Even then I was called on by base personnel for advice on handling the hoards of light aircraft. And I enjoyed every minute of it.

The '71 show started on Friday morning with rain, low clouds and a real mess. The fly-in parking area was in the south-west corner of the airport and when that turned into a swamp, we started using the old closed runway....only to have the tower tell me to move the aircraft parked there...DC-3s, 1 Convair, and about 100 light singles and twins...Yeh Right...Tower sez..General So And So sez move 'em...I sez, tell the General if he wants them moved do it himself.

Ten minutes later a staff car pulls up and the general gets out. I sez, "Sir I've gone through 2 uniforms this morning, I'm cold , wet and pi##ed off...and now you want me to move these planes.

He looked over the situation, got in the car, and drove off,,,only to return a few minutes later with a hot coffee...Here you go Lt...have a good day...and then the big guy in the sky listened to OB Philp ...the skies opened up and we had a terrific show.

Keep up the tradition of the "Best Show In The West"

Barney http://www.barneysairforce.com

Thanks for the info...I'd love to return to YMJ with my Grummam Alley Cat but the old pension cheque just won't allow it.

I was one of the co-ordinators for the first BIG show in 1971. I looked after and organized the light aircraft fly-in and continued doing it for 5 years until I retired in 1976. Even then I was called on by base personnel for advice on handling the hoards of light aircraft. And I enjoyed every minute of it.

The '71 show started on Friday morning with rain, low clouds and a real mess. The fly-in parking area was in the south-west corner of the airport and when that turned into a swamp, we started using the old closed runway....only to have the tower tell me to move the aircraft parked there...DC-3s, 1 Convair, and about 100 light singles and twins...Yeh Right...Tower sez..General So And So sez move 'em...I sez, tell the General if he wants them moved do it himself.

Ten minutes later a staff car pulls up and the general gets out. I sez, "Sir I've gone through 2 uniforms this morning, I'm cold , wet and pi##ed off...and now you want me to move these planes.

He looked over the situation, got in the car, and drove off,,,only to return a few minutes later with a hot coffee...Here you go Lt...have a good day...and then the big guy in the sky listened to OB Philp ...the skies opened up and we had a terrific show.

Keep up the tradition of the "Best Show In The West"

Barney http://www.barneysairforce.com

Hey Barney,

Great story. Too bad you can't make it as the AlleyCat would've been a great addition.

Blue Skies

Jean-Guy aka James

I hope so too!!!! I need more F-15C photos..have NEVER seen an F-15E upclose and want pics of the last Tomcat I ever get to see in person!!!!!

Thanks for the info!

Hey Colin,

The 2 F-15C's from Tyndall AFB will be participating in the flying display both Sat and Sun and will then be towed into the static display area following their performance. Should be great....

Jean-Guy aka James

2005 Saskatchewan Centennial Airshow

15Wing Moose Jaw

July 9 & 10, 2005

www.saskatchewanairshow.com

Do you know where the F-15Es are coming from and which squadron the F-14 is with???  Also, is the Super Hornet Demo team putting an F/A-18F on static???

Man oh man, this is gonna be a sweet air show!!!!!  Is there camping on site this year????

Colin,

Still haven't heard what Squad the F-14 is with but I think there are only 4 squadrons left. And as far as the F-15E's, well I heard the 2 that are coming are from Seymour JOhnson AFB.

Also, check the webpage under "accomodations" for some good campsites. And yes there will me limited amounts of camping space available onsite.

Hope this helps

Edited by James15Wing
Geez...are you guys gonna have enough room if all of this shows up???? Cool....a Viking..now all we need is a Prowler and a Hawkeye and I'm happy!

We got LOTS of room.

Remember the days when there were 100+ Tutors stationed at 15Wing? Man those were the days. :)

Also FYI, the 2 F-16C Vipers that are confirmed for static display are coming from Hill AFB and yes the static Super Hornet is a 3rd jet coming from VFA-122.

And the 1971 Sask Homecoming Airshow paid host to over 100.000 people plus 400+ light aircraft. Those really were the days! Art Scholl, Al Pietch, Joe Hughes and many more provided everyone a wide variety of performances capped with the new Canadian Team, The Snowbirds.

Voodoos, CF-104s, CF-5As, The PFS Tigers in the little Musketeers, the Jet Ranger demo team, the incredible F-111 doing a full FLAME Burst. The Hercules doing a JATO take-off....34 years ago but fresh in this old dogs memory.

Barney

And the 1971 Sask Homecoming Airshow paid host to over 100.000 people plus 400+ light aircraft. Those really were the days! Art Scholl, Al Pietch, Joe Hughes and many more provided everyone a wide variety of performances capped with the new Canadian Team, The Snowbirds.

Voodoos, CF-104s, CF-5As, The PFS Tigers in the little Musketeers, the Jet Ranger demo team, the incredible F-111 doing a full FLAME Burst. The Hercules doing a JATO take-off....34 years ago but fresh in this old dogs memory.

Barney

Wow sounds like we had some great shows back then. The furthest back I can remember is in the 80's when we had lineups of Voodoos, Starfighters, Delta Darts, Phantoms, Thunderchiefs, Skyhawks, etc. Man those were the days.

I remember one time being parked out on the #2 Highway (which lies at the end of 15Wings Parallel runways) and being buzzed without warning by 4 A-7's that couldn't of been 100ft off the ground.

By far my best airshow memory

Here is an updated list of participating aircraft:

Flying Display

-431 Air Demonstration Squadron "Snowbirds" CAF (15Wing Moose Jaw)

-CF-18A Hornet Tactical Demonstration CAF (4Wing Cold Lake)

-A-10 Thunderbolt II West Coast Tactical Demonstration US Air Force (DavisMonthan AFB)

-F/A-18F Super Hornet Tactical Demonstration US Navy (VFA-122, NAS Lemoore)

-F-15C Eagle x2 Flypasts US Air Force (Tyndall Air Force Base) (verbal..awaiting final approval)

-CC-115 Buffalo Search & Rescue Demonstration CAF (19Wing Comox)

-CP-140 Aurora Maritime Patrol Demonstration CAF (19Wing Comox)

-CH-146 Griffon SAR Demonstration CAF (4Wing Cold Lake)

-CT-155 Hawk x2 Flypasts NFTC (15Wing Moose Jaw) (Actual training missions)

-CT-156 Harvard II x2 Flypasts NFTC (15Wing Moose Jaw) (Actual training missions)

-Canadian Forces Skyhawks Parachute Team

-CL-215 Waterbomber Demonstration (Northern Air Operations)(Govt of Sask) (verbal)

-Masters of Disaster

-Jim Leroy "Bulldog" Pitts Special

-Jimmy Franklin Jet Powered Waco

-Bobby Younkin Airshows

-Les Shockley "Shockwave" Jet Truck

...more TBA.

Static Display

CAF CP-140 Aurora (19Wing Comox)

CAF CF-18M Hornet (4Wing Cold Lake)

CAF CT-142 Dash-8 (17Wing Winnipeg)

CAF CH-146 Griffon Helicopter (Edmonton)

CAF CC-144 Challenger (Ottawa)

CAF CC-138 Twin Otter (Yellowknife)

CAF CH-124 Sea King Helicopter (19Wing Comox)

CAF CT-156 Harvard II (15Wing Moose Jaw)

CAF CT-155 Hawk x2 (15Wing Moose Jaw)

CAF CC-130 Hercules (17Wing Winnipeg)

CAF CT-114 Tutor - Snowbirds (15Wing Moose Jaw)

CAF CF-18B Hornet (4Wing Cold Lake)

UH-1 Huey Helicopter (USAF}

C-17 Globemaster (Charleston AFB)

C-21 Learjet (USAF)

F-15E Strike Eagle x2 (USAF)

F-16CG Viper x2 (Hill AFB)

KC-10 Extender (Travis AFB)

F-15C Eagle x2 (Tyndall AFB)

F-14 Tomcat (NAS Oceana)

S-3 Viking (NAS Noth Island)

F/A-18F Super Hornet (NAS Lemoore)

T-45C Goshawk (NAS Meridian)

AV-8B Harrier II x3 (USMC)

F-16A Fighting Falcon x2 (USANG)

KC-135R Stratotanker (USANG)

FedEx B727-200

FedEx C208 Caravan

L-39 Albatros

King Air 90A (2CFTTS)

Bell 206 (2CFTTS)

Warbird T-28 Trojan

Pilatus PC-12 (RCMP)

Grumman Cougar

Glastar & Seawind

Gyroplane

Ultralight

T- 67C Slingsby

Paraglider

Only 11 days till arrivals. Hopefully some of you can make it.

Cheer

James

www.saskatchewanairshow.com

Edited by James15Wing
You can count on me being there. I should be watching all the arrivals with you guys on the Friday. :cheers:

Thanks for keeping everybody posted with the displays. :thumbsup:

Plus this will be a perfect chance to go visit Dog River. :D

Haha...."Dog River." Less than a half hour east of Moose Jaw. :D

So where are you coming from? Looking forward to meeting you.

James

By the way, tell Tilt that I need some tips on my weathering. I am currently building a 1/48th F-18F in VFA-122 decals just like the demo bird this weekend. :thumbsup:

Hey James,

Just blast away with the questions. I'm never too far from my computer these days.

Cheers,

Tilt

By the way, tell Tilt that I need some tips on my weathering.   I am currently building a 1/48th F-18F in VFA-122 decals just like the demo bird this weekend. :crying:

Hey James,

Just blast away with the questions. I'm never too far from my computer these days.

Cheers,

Tilt

Hey Tilt and Colin,

Check out the link at the bottom of the original post in this thread and you can check out some of my work. Love your Hornets Tilt <_<

Jean-Guy aka James

ps I have also modified the original post to let you know where some of the attending aircraft are coming from.

Cheers!

Edited by James15Wing
James, I didnt know you were in Regina!! Have you been out to the Regina Model Club meetings at all???

Also...you had the F-14 Tomcat coming from NAS Lamoore...isnt it coming from Oceana??

Colin, yeah I have been asked to attend the RMC club meetings but I work shift work and I always seem to be working. Those pics on that website are from a display I had last summer at Wascana Rehab Center. And yeah I know most of the boys from Redline but I purchase most of my kits up at Hobbyworld in Stoon as I find they have a larger selection.

And yeah the F-14 is coming from Oceana not Lemoore. Typo....lol

BTW, I'd love to see some of your work

Jean-Guy aka James