2005 Saskatchewan Centennial Airshow preview...

Tilt, I'll make sure to say hi to Buca for ya!!!!!

Sounds good. He's gonna start thinking that I've got friends at every one of his stops. :lol:

Cheers,

Tilt

Only 2 more sleeps 'till the air show!!!!! 3 for me though, but I am ready for Sunday!!!!!

Tilt, I'll make sure to say hi to Buca for ya!!!!!

BRING ON THE AIR SHOW!!!!!!!!

James, I was on the web site today and noticed the F-14 wasnt listed...please say it didnt cancel!!!!!! :lol:

Last I heard it was still coming. But I do know there were some politics being played from an airshow down south that was upset about us getting one and them not. So I guess we can just keep our fingers crossed as its not set in stone one way or the other.....

James

James

Did some of the static planes back out ? The list of the website and your's differ, ? , F-14, KC-135, I am coming from Edmonton tonight anyway and just wondered what to expect. Thanks :thumbsup:

Colin,

That's pretty cool. Hope he doesn't let it go to his head. I don't want to have to make an appointment with his publisyst the next time I go over for BBQ burgers!! :)

Cheers,

Tilt

Colin,

I'll (eventually) be setting up a page on cf-18.com dedicated to Buca's Air Show season. I've already started collecting some images (thanx Trev) to get started.

So try and get some good 'candid' shots of 'Buca' type subject for me.

Cheers,

Tilt

Here is a list of what showed up on Friday. There were some inevitable cancellations that were beyond our control but we also had some nice surprises as well. Here is what came military wise as of 6pm yesterday:

CP-140 from Greenwood

CT-142 from Winnipeg

CF-18 x2 from Cold Lake

CH-146 Griffon from Cold Lake (new Yellow chopper)

CH-146 Griffon from Edmonton

CC-115 Buffalo from Comox

L-39 Albatross from Calgary

C-17 Globemaster from Alltus AFB

KC-10 from McGuire AFB

F-15C Eagle x2 from Tyndall AFB (one of them is the CO's jet)

F-16C Viper x2 from Hill AFB (Diamondbacks)

T-38C Talon from Sheppard AFB

S-3 Viking from North Island

EA-6B Prowler from NAS Whidbey Island (VAQ142) (nice late addition)

F/A-18F Super Hornet from VFA-2 Bounty Hunters

C-21 Learjet from Andrews AFB

T-28 Trojan

...more is coming Fri evening and Sat morning (ie FedEx 727, another Aurora, F-16A's, etc). We had to leave as we had to get out of the sun...lol

...there are also many other civilian owned aircraft too numerous to mention.

Add to that the Super Hornet demo, the CF-18 demo, the A-10 demo (all which were fabulous during their practices) plus the Masters of Disaster (awesome as well) plus the 30C weather made for a very fun day. A great surprise today was NFTC's demo. We had 4 Hawks and 4 Harvard II's do numerous passes in diamond formations with awesome breaks for landing. Great addition to the airshow. Also had a chance to meet some other great airshow fans like BigD, crazy4planes, Bill Gilson, and James Carver. All I can say is look forward to some awesome pics from this weekend.

Hope this helps......Cheers!

James

2005 Saskatchewan Centennial Airshow

15Wing Moose Jaw

July 9 & 10, 2005

www.saskatchewanairshow.com

Edited by James15Wing

Best show I have been to in a very long time.

Highlights for me:

2 F-15C to open the show with high speed passes

Master of Disaster

Rhinos from 3 different Squadrons (VX-9, VFA-2, VFA-122)

3 incredible Tac Demos

Snowbirds

2 hot female pilots with the S-3 Viking

Vipers, Eagles, Hornets, Rhinos, Prowlers, Vikings.......good I love this hobby...lol

Back for a better review tommorrow....

James

Edited by James15Wing
Colin,

I'll (eventually) be setting up a page on cf-18.com dedicated to Buca's Air Show season. I've already started collecting some images (thanx Trev) to get started.

So try and get some good 'candid' shots of 'Buca' type subject for me.

Cheers,

Tilt

No prob Tilt! I'll definately get some more candids at the Brantford show, now that I'm looking out for them.

I wish I was in Saskatchewan right now! I hope you guys have an awesome, fun and safe show, and I can't wait to see pics!

Trev

James, is the VFA-122 Demo Hornet towed onto static afterwards, and are the F-15Cs from Tyndal on static as well???

No Tomcat, huh??? :thumbsup:

So there are TWO F/A-18Fs on static!?!?!?!

I am inbound tommorow!!!!!

Colin,

The backup VFA-122 jet is on the hotramp with the demo jet. But it is close enough to get some great shots. And yeah there are 2 other Super Hornets (VFA-2, VX-9) on static as well. They look like regular Hornets on steroids!!!...lol.

James

Update for everyone, the F-14 wasn't there, but we had two F-15s from Tyndell due to hurricane Dennis. The two Eagles started the show with a tight formation fly by and climb out. They had just come back from doing some ACM in the practice area to the south.

There was also 4 Superhornets, all F models, two on static and two in the flying area. The one of two in static was a VFA-2 Bounty Hunters and the other one I didn't recognize the squadron. There was a Prowler, Viking, T-38, KC-10, C-17, CF-18, Hawks, Harvard IIs, among others in the static display.

The flying displays were great these pilots did not pull any punches today, awesome flying, and a few new things I haven't seen until today. Like a jet engine powered Bi-plane, and the first time I had seen the Superhornet. I have to say though that on Friday in the late afternoon the Superhornet guys did a practice routine in which the did some manuevers that were not in the Saturday show, the pilot actually pulled a mild Cobra manuever (I think that is what it is called?). He was flying along straight a level and then pulled back on the stick until the nose was pointed the opposite direction that he was travelling for a brief second. Then he quickly flipped the jet the back to the normal wings level position with some forward stick. Totally awesome.

Great airshow, they did a great job this year.

So, were the F-15Cs on static after they flew their passes????

Yes the F-15's were parked in static before the show and then parked beside the rope immediately after their display. Awesome! Awesome! And no they did not "really" come because of the hurricane as they have been confirmed to attend for months....that was just Ric Peterson (announcer) adding some of his patented "drama" to the show. Great stuff.

Also, yes Buca's jet was parked very close to the static ramp for photos. Have fun tommorrow!!!

James

Edited by James15Wing
Update for everyone, the F-14 wasn't there, but we had two F-15s from Tyndell due to hurricane Dennis. The two Eagles started the show with a tight formation fly by and climb out. They had just come back from doing some ACM in the practice area to the south.

There was also 4 Superhornets, all F models, two on static and two in the flying area. The one of two in static was a VFA-2 Bounty Hunters and the other one I didn't recognize the squadron. There was a Prowler, Viking, T-38, KC-10, C-17, CF-18, Hawks, Harvard IIs, among others in the static display.

Don't forget about the Vipers!!! :)

This is the worst news ever.

We still dont' know the full details but....I don't really know what to say other than...God Bless Jimmy Franklin....God Bless Bobby Younkin....God Bless their families.....and God Bless the airshow industry.

James

2005 Saskatchewan Centennial Airshow

??????

Wow thats cryptic, and ominous sounding.....whats the deal?

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. Midair collision during the Masters of Disaster routine. Bobby Younkin and Jimmy Franklin involved but it doesn't look good. Nothing official as of yet.

James

Wow I was there on Saturday, and my fiancee was saying of the Masters of Disaster were cutting it close in a few instances. Kyle Franklin was saying 90% of the show was unscripted, maybe this finally caught up to them? They were damn good pilots they will be missed by all the show must go on though.

• 1 year later...