Anakin's Jedi Starfighter

Hi guys,

This is my first foray into Sci-Fi.

I picked up the Anakin Jedi Starfighter model at my local hobby shop after seeing them on the Revell website. I am building it for my brother-in-laws birthday as he is a Star Wars nutcase. I will mount it on a stand to have it "In Flight" as it were.

I must say, although they are basic, they can be made into great little models.

I'm having great fun in weathering it and making it look more realistic than a toy.

I'd like to share my progress with you...

Here is the cockpit OOB with a Tamiya smoke wash and matt cote on:

101416659.jpg

The cockpit fuselage sides after some airbrush work and a panel wash with Tamiya XF24 Dark Grey:

101416655.jpg

The main wings after some airbrush shading /weathering and a panel wash with Tamiya XF24 Dark Grey, the guns are drybrushed with Citadel chainmail :

101416650.jpg

101416646.jpg

101416641.jpg

Any thoughts/comments/critiques welcomed!

:(

Mike

Looking good so far Mike

I intend to strip the paint of the kit I get and start anew. Part of that rebirth will be the use of Jay's decal sheet.

:lol:

MikeJ

if that's what it looks like cleaned up and gone over with some care, then what will it look like rebuilding from bare plastic?

Well done Mike!

:blink:

MikeJ

How is there enough room to fit an R-2 unit in those wings? Unless they're a lot thicker than they look?

If you look at the photo where the model is upside-down, you can see that there's a squarish chunk sticking down underneath each wing, just forward of the cockpit. One is for the R2 unit, the other is presumably some kind of instrumentation bay. Or maybe a cooler for space beers.

Yes, the big bay is big enough to allow the R2 unit to fit that way. Hasbro did something similar for their toy as you can remove the R2 unit plug and stick in a standard R2 droid figure in the socket. But, there was a little bit of cheating in the film as a couple times the R2 units looked like they were mounted flush in the bay and other times they looked raised up. My theory on that was the Jedi fighter utilizes a Star Trek warp bubble to get a portion of the interior to be bigger then the exterior. Another explaination is that some technicians at the Gallofrey ship yards worked similar magic to what they did with Time Lord TARDIS ships (see Doctor Who for explaination). :)

BTW, very nice looking buildup there Mike. It is a great kit.

Edited by Jay Chladek

I must admit I'm enjoying the fun I can have with the Starfighter.

I cleaned up the seams, added a few strips of plastic, and the odd bit of card and rod. It'll be probably a ramp-launched fighter of somebody or other.

Possibly Luft '46 or USMC.

The book with the cutaway views shows a retractable u/c that could be fabricated, but I've gone for underfuselage "riders" to fit a scratch-built ramp.

These kits are FUN.

They fit reasonably, glue's essential in one or two places, and with a bit of imagination, they'll fit 1/35th scale figures, etc..

Great fun :thumbsup:

I tried ordering one from Hannants last month but they are out of stock on it. All I could get was Obi-Wan's :cheers:

Well, at least I got the republis Star Destroyer.

Now if i could only find an easy kit of Anakin's Jedi Starfighter......

hint hint anyone that may have an extra they want to sell..............

Jeff

Same kit I believe, just different colouring.

It's nice though.

Have you tried Hannants again? They might be in stock now.

Also, try elsewhere online.

I've looked in my local shop and all they've got are Clone Fighters and AT-RTs.

Doing an AT-RT as an Israeli Scout.

;) :D

Obi-Wan's version has *slightly* different folding panels/wings. More engraved detail than Anakin's.

I've stripped mine with PollyScale Easy Lift Off, and am planning to do one Mace Windu's (Purple instead or Red or Yellow)

Edited by calculon

Take Jean-Luc Picard's head from the PL Scorpion kit and graft it onto Anakin's body. Darken skin tone to match. Both kits and figures are the same scale.

I can't take credit for the ingenuity. I can't exactly remember who's idea it was, (picked it up on SM's boards) but it's a pretty damn good one.