ok gents, bring it down a level for me... I have pics on my hard drive. I want to post them in a thread. how in God's name do I do that? (I told you I was dense)

First step - Open Windows Explorer and check the file sizes.

The file Capture_12.jpg on my machine cannot be attached as it is too big

The file Capture_13.jpg on my machine can be attached as it is 80Kb

Note: The max file size has now been upped to 100KB since this post was made

Capture_16.jpg

Edited by Andy Mullen

Second step - Write your message in the enter your post then in the File attachments section (just above the add reply button) click the browse button, select your picture file, click OK then hit add reply. NOTE If you hit preview the file is not uploaded and you will have to browse and reattach the image.

Capture_8.jpg

Edited by Andy Mullen
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
First step - Open Windows Explorer and check the file sizes.

The file Capture_12.jpg on my machine cannot be attached as it is too big

The file Capture_13.jpg on my machine can be attached as it is 80Kb

Note: The max file size has now been upped to 100KB since this post was made

Ok, is there a simple way to reduce pictures on a hard drive to 100kb? (and I do mean simple :lol: )

Col. firstly download and install this freebie graphic tool - IrfanView

In this example I will downsize a picture taken directly from my camera. The intial picture is 1600 x 1200 and about 1012KB in size (I have already resized to 800 x 600 for this example)

Chalk_Wash_002b.jpg

Edited by Andy Mullen

Obviously this is too big, so open it up in IrfanView.

Now either press "Ctrl R" or select Image/Resize/Resample from the menu...

Capture_20.jpg

Change the resolution from 300 DPI to 72DPI (Monitors only display at ~72DPI), and for this example I clicked on the Half Button to change the resolution to 800 x 600.

Next choose File/Save As from the menu (or press S) and save as new file. It is still 316KB in size, so change the compression ratio to 85%

Capture_21.jpg

Edited by Andy Mullen

Stupid question, I'm sure, but something I am curious about. Are the pictures stored on the posters hard drive, or are they actually uploaded onto a central server?

I'm curious to know if I can remove any pics I eventually post (if I can get the nerve to post pics of my work) from my hard drive and move them to a CD without messing up a thread i post in.

Thanks.

Brian

Edited by Bucky Katt

Brian, if you follow the instructions given and attach the pictures they are stored on the ARC Forums server. You can then back up your originals on to CD/DVD.

If you add the pics using the image button (the tree icon), then they will appear as long as the server hosting the pics, is online.

HTH

Hi all, another green newbie here.

need help with the following.

the pic. I uploaded to appear next to my screen name (left side) does appear in my "profile options" screen, but it doesn't appear when I've posted stuff. Which of the problems discussed above does this problem relate to? oversized graphics, or previewing postings?

thanks.

• 1 month later...