"New" 103rd FW A-10 Markings

Although not entirely new - the Wing is still undergoing the change from the old tail and nose marking to the new style.

I didn't think I'd like it, but it sorta grows on you - I do like it now, and I think it's more striking than the older (although still in use blue and yellow stripe with black lightning bolt version).

The new markings come from the 80th Anniversary scheme, which reflects the Units WW2 heritage as the 118th Tactical Recon Squadron (TRS), attached to the 23rd Fighter Wing in China - the Flying Tigers, flying the P-51 Mustang.

So here are some shots of the Hogs, hope they help you folks with the new design.

Mike

Nice shots! I especially like the takeoff shot. I have always wanted to take a picture of the shimmery air behind a jet engine, but they have never come out. Do I need to use a slower shutter speed or something?

Thanks, Trev

Nice shots! I especially like the takeoff shot. I have always wanted to take a picture of the shimmery air behind a jet engine, but they have never come out. Do I need to use a slower shutter speed or something?

Thanks, Trev

Thanks Trev!

Not sure, just the right place at the right time I guess.

I'm using a Nikon D70 with a 400mm lens for this shot, so perhaps with

the extreme magnification it shows up better.

Ken took a great shot that day also, showing the tail heat with a couple of

the ground crew walking behind.

Ken, you may want to re-post that pic here or the link, for Trev to see -

it's really quite a shot :huh:

Thanks agin Trev!

Mike

Hey, what's that bump behind the cockpit??? :huh: Is this an A-10C model? I only saw such antenna on the A-10C "prototype".

Serelle

Edited by Serelle
Hey, what's that bump behind the cockpit??? :huh: Is this an A-10C model? I only saw such antenna on the A-10C "prototype".

Serelle

Hello Serelle,

That's the GPS Dome, part of the EGI System, standard on most A-10's now.

It's not actually part of the A-10C upgrade package.

Here's a closer pic.

Mike

Hey, what's that bump behind the cockpit???  B)  Is this an A-10C model? I only saw such antenna on the A-10C "prototype".

Serelle

Hello Serelle,

That's the GPS Dome, part of the EGI System, standard on most A-10's now.

It's not actually part of the A-10C upgrade package.

Here's a closer pic.

Mike

Thanks Mike!! I didn't know that! :blink:

Thanks for sharing this pics also!

Serelle