squadron sanding sticks

I've stopped buying Squadrons sanding sticks. They are very expensive here in Sweden. I buy sanding sticks intended for nails. Twice the size at about a third of the price. They seem to be made of the same material as Squadron's and work just as well.

Anders

I don't care for the Squadron sanding sticks for some of the same reasons already mentioned (over-priced, cheaply made, load up too fast, don't last very long etc etc). . .

For considerably less $$$ I get good mileage and value out of sanding sticks sold at beauty-supply places.

The Creations Unlimited Flex Pads are also (IMHO) much better than the Squadron ones; they certainly seem to last a lot longer and are worth what you pay for them.

:rofl:

Old Blind Dog

I go to the Health and Beauty Aids section of Wal Mart and buy several different nail polishing sticks. They are a lot cheaper and work just as well if not better than the ones from Squadron. :rofl:

Darwin

I echo what is said about the nail sanding/polishing sticks.They are relatively cheap, last a good long time ,easy to clean with a sanding stick cleaner (a block of crepe rubber,also good for cleaning Flexi-File sanding strips) and the nail sticks come in a multitude of grits.

What more could you asl for. :rofl:

I also cut them into smaller sticks and shapes,as dictated by the task at hand.

Paul T

I've been using two-grit emery boards for thirty years. Never bought a sanding stick, never saw the need, and from what I've read there doesn't seem to be lot of reason to run right out and buy some.

You can get nail polishing boards with up to four grades of grit. Spied my sister using one, asked her if I could have it. She said it was a buck, or so, and told me to get my own.

BJ

When you guys say they are pricey, just how must do you mean? They are listed at $1.66 each on their website, and I can pick them up at my LHS for slightly more...

Actually I like using the Squadron sanding sticks - they give me a level of consistency, AND my wife gets to keep all her emery boards (she's quite a perfectionist about her fingernails :wave: ).

Keith

Packet of 5 three stage sticks for AU$2 at the local Priceline store and with 2 teenage daughters and my lady wife to buy them for me, it is a good deal.

I have never seen sanding sticks at my LHS.

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

I use Squadron sanding sticks mainly because of the ultra fine side that is excellent for polishing canopies, especially the ones that have a molding line down the middle. 1500 grit to get rid if the line, then polish with a Squadron stick, a coat of future and voila.

But like Old Blind Dog said, load up too fast and don't last very long, especially the ultre fine side, but that's the only stick that can polish scratches out of canopies,..or is there a nail polishing board that can do that?

Cheers ;)

Andy G

Andy

3 stage ladies nail polisher. Cheap as chips and easy to get a hold of.

The last stage is very fine indeed and after a final polish with Novus, the clear part is ready for a Future bath.

;)

MikeJ

Sanding materials come in a variety of grits and forms. You can get the "sticks" with up to four different grits on them. There's also pads and sponges. Shop in the beauty section of your local drugstore or major retailer if you don't have a beauty supply store around; you'll be amazed what's available.

hth

I use Squadron sanding sticks mainly because of the ultra fine side that is excellent for polishing canopies, especially the ones that have a molding line down the middle. 1500 grit to get rid if the line, then polish with a Squadron stick, a coat of future and voila.

But like Old Blind Dog said, load up too fast and don't last very long, especially the ultre fine side, but that's the only stick that can polish scratches out of canopies,..or is there a nail polishing board that can do that?

Cheers ;)

Andy G

Andy,

For polishing canopies and other clear-plastic bits, I use the Creations Unlimited Triple Grit Polisher (flex-pad), which (IMHO) is far superior to the Squadron fine or X-fine sticks. . .(certainly better made, and they last much longer than the Squadron)

I've also used the 3-in-1 ultra-fine grit sticks from the beauty supply places. . .but, in this instance, I like the CU sticks better (maybe it's because the CU sticks are a "more friendly" ergonomic size).

I also use graduated abrasive cloths (like LGB or Detail Master) in conjunction with the Triple Grit polisher; together these are unbeatable for restoring glass (after removing those pesky seams)

:cheers:

Old Blind Dog

Andy

3 stage ladies nail polisher. Cheap as chips and easy to get a hold of.

The last stage is very fine indeed and after a final polish with Novus, the clear part is ready for a Future bath.

MikeJ

Thanks Mike, I'll try to get a hold of some of that Three stage ladies nail polisher. Perhaps Gail knows about that stuff :P

BTW what is that Novus you mentioned.

Cheers :rofl:

Andy G

Novus is plastic polish. It is not available in Australia, but I picked up some bottles when I was in the US in 2001. I use the 1st and 2nd stage bottles for polishing.

MikeJ

Cheers :thumbsup:

Andy G

Andy,

For polishing canopies and other clear-plastic bits, I use the Creations Unlimited Triple Grit Polisher (flex-pad), which (IMHO) is far superior to the Squadron fine or X-fine sticks. . .(certainly better made, and they last much longer than the Squadron)

I've also used the 3-in-1 ultra-fine grit sticks from the beauty supply places. . .but, in this instance, I like the CU sticks better (maybe it's because the CU sticks are a "more friendly" ergonomic size).

I also use graduated abrasive cloths (like LGB or Detail Master) in conjunction with the Triple Grit polisher; together these are unbeatable for restoring glass (after removing those pesky seams)

Old Blind Dog

Hey Old Blind Dog, where can I get this Creations Unlimited Triple Grit Polisher. I would be willing to try that out as well.

Cheers :P

Andy G

Novus is plastic polish. It is not available in Australia, but I picked up some bottles when I was in the US in 2001. I use the 1st and 2nd stage bottles for polishing.

MikeJ

Thanks Mike, I'll see about getting some of that also, if it is available here in Havasu. I'll ask around.

Thanks mate and cheers :rofl:

Andy G

Cheers :thumbsup:

Andy G

Andy,

Old Blind Dog

Hey Old Blind Dog, where can I get this Creations Unlimited Triple Grit Polisher. I would be willing to try that out as well.

Cheers :P

Andy G

Andy,

I got mine through Roll Models. . .Micro Mark also sells them.

:D

Old Blind Dog

The best sanding stick I had (still have :D ) is a pink one that came free on the front cover of FSM magazine ages ago, I don't know what make it is but I wish I could get more - it still works fine after years.

I've got nail sanding sticks, but I find that even these vary on quality, the best ones of these that I found were from Boots ( UK Chemist chain store ) Others that I have used have not been so good.

I also find that Halfords auto emery paper is excelent, it comes in lots of diferent grades from very coarse to very fine for polishing.

Karl

Hobby Lobby also sells a very reasonably priced package of very narrow (about 1/4" wide) sanding sticks that are awesome for getting into those very hard-to-reach spots. These are flexible and you get a wide range of "grits".....but, you don't get a polishing grit. There are 12 to 15 sticks in each pack. My local store has trouble keeping them in stock due to high demand. Worth a test/try.

Bails-In-Minnesota