This "stain" on the Superbug

HEy Guys, just curious...

I thought this "stain" was exclusive for Legacy Hornets, but I've seen it in more and more pics of SuperHornets. What is it made of?? Oil?? It seems to start off from the Small vents behind the LG Doors.... APU exhaust, perhaps???

Link to Pic of Hornet with Brownish Stains

TIA

Take Care

Edited by MaRiO FDZ
Nope..APU is further back and is on the centerline of the aircraft.  Those brownish stains could be hydralic fluid leaking from somewhere...gear door actuators or something...cant say for certain, but definately not the APU exhaust.

Or maybe it just cr*pped on itself the last time a Viper rolled in on it's 6. :D :worship:

What, rolled in on its six, overshot and became the lawn dart it was born to be?

That stain is hydraulic fluid. Amazing how a little will go a long way on a jet and there is a multitude it can vent or leak from in the wheel wells. I am only an ex-fixer of F-18A's and B's but I remember they allways had hyd oil marks there.

Cheers

Tony

It is oil coming from the oil acess doors. Everytime you open the doors oil comes dripping out. You have to be careful when checking the sight-gage as well as the delta-p's because oil will drip in your eyes, hair. I had it get all over my back yesterday. The older lot C models somtimes have hyd. fluid coming from the same area. HTH

-Lance

It is oil coming from the oil acess doors. Everytime you open the doors oil comes dripping out. You have to be careful when checking the sight-gage as well as the delta-p's because oil will drip in your eyes, hair. I had it get all over my back yesterday. The older lot C models somtimes have hyd. fluid coming from the same area. HTH

-Lance

Stuff like this and from other cool posters here is one reason why I like dropping by. The cool stuff you learn here even if at times trival from others who know or have real world experience is great. The ability to comfortably share info with others is also cool.

I enjoy my av books and magazines, and searching other stuff on the web. I like av shows on t.v. But the spontaneous responses to the many varied questions from people here is great. Be you a well informed aviation fan and hobbiest and of course all those here who are in the forces, comercial and the industry.

Edited by Phileas Fogg

-Lance

hmmm so if you get oil in your face if you open it on ground - the sain goes all the way back - tho they open this door to release the Excess Oil in the engine??

TAke Care

It is also known throughout the USMC and Navy that if the bird aint leaking it isnt working.

-Lance

Exactly, I've heard EVERY airframe leaks ... it's just a matter of HOWMUCH it leaks that comes into question ...

Gregg

A Super Hornet leaking fluid...........NO WAY!

B)

Dont make me go digging for pictures of Turkeys with Kiddypools under there tails. :cheers: