3. Neither do I think intelligent life has either visited, or been brough post-crash/post-mortem to a certain unnamed dry lakebed somewhere between Las Vegas and Reno.

4. If anyone saw history channel's "UFO Files" episode about the supposed Area 51 scientist who then told his story to a local TV station - here's my personal bet (no, not insider information - I'm not cleard THAT high):

a) Yes, he worked, or is still currently working for, the government.

b. No, I don't think for a minute that he worked on extraterrestial craft.

c) yes, I think he's getting paid well SOMEHOWt to SAY that he worked on extraterresital craft.

d) why? so people have an explanation for the weirdassed things they may or may not see in the skies thereabouts. Other than the truth. And no, I have no idea what that might be - other than the fact that I have no business knowing what it is.

e) I will bet anyone a night of adult beverages (which, if you can keep up with me, is not an insignificant sum) that 80%+ of supposed UFOs in the areas north of Las Vegas from mid-70s to 1990ish can be ascribed to one entity - F-117.

So is that the original source for the slogan "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas"? :huh:

• 7 months later...

I had a fairly reliable contact on project Blue Book. From what I can put together throug direct and indirect information from him is that he concluded several UFO reports of the 70s and 80s were Russinan spyplanes that we persued and or shot at- even shot down. UFO explanations by the public were highly encouraged as a scapegoat!

Yes- intelligent life elswhere

UFOs- why not. No one can prove the DON'T exist after all!

I believe in UFOs. Whole-heartedly. Without question, UFOs exist!

However, all "UFO" means is something that hasn't been identified and does not mean it's something extraterrestrial. If I believe that we are being visited by aliens from far off space... Nope.

(I only read the first 1/2-page of msgs, so no sure anyone else pointed this out.)

I know I'm going to regret this and I know many won't believe me and get some comments going but I have had a sighting at a base that I was assigned to while in the AiR Force in Late 1971 or early 1972. I was assigned to the 635th Security Police Squadron during Vietnam and one night a couple hours after starting a mid shift a call came over my radio to switch to the common frequency we used with the other larger flight (Tiger Flight) during attacks or other emergencies. Afer I changed over I started listening to Security Control telling the personnel on the other side of the base to just watch the object and not to fire on it until it did something hostile. At the same time the armored vehicles from he adjoining sectors were ordered to the edge of their assigned sectors adn told to stand by and observe. I was some distance from that side of the base, maybe 7-10 miles or so. I turned to look in htat direction and saw a glow comming from a large fog that was just hanging over the B-52 parking area. This went on for some minutes as it just sat there over the bombers. Security Control came back on the radio and announced that they had received a message from the control tower that a couple fighters had been diverted to investigate. Just before they arrived the fog shifted and hung over the bomb dump for a minute or two and then started to head out toward the ocean. Just after it started moving two fighters approached at very low altitude down the length of the runway and went into full afterburner. They were low enough to be silhouetted against the flight line illumination and be identified as F-105s. The last I saw of any of them was the ABs on the Thuds receding in the distance in pursuit.

There were plenty of witnesses, my flight had about 15 people, Tiger flight had about three hundred or so because of the max posting they had to do at night. Throw in the control tower, ground approach radar, fire deptartment, and all the maintennance personnel and whatever flight crews were out and there were a whole lot of witnesses to this event.

The odd thing was that in a day or two nobody hardly ever talked about it much as the war operations got back to normal.

If I thought of it in time I would have gone over to Alternate Security Control and tried to get a copy of the transmission tape recordings.