C-5 Emergency Landing at Westover

From what I understand, they break a lot. When I flew out of Iraq, I caught a ride on a C-5. On the way out of Bagdad, one of the thrust reveres opened up. They took it to Greece, where we sat for a day while they wired it closed. Got it to Spain where it broke down again (it was supposed to go to Dover). On the second leg, I sat up with the cockpit with the pilots and they told me the issues they have with them. The upgrades are supposd to help.

the C-5s do have a rough maintenance record, no surprise on their size and load they carry

Not to mention age of some of the airframes. Wright-Patterson is getting them later this year, and NOONE I've spoken to is looking forward to it.

Jake

Gents:

From a nameless C-5 maintainer I heard the following:

If you have two C-5's sitting on jacks and one parked next to them do you know what it means?

They ran out of jacks!

Mark

From what I understand, they break a lot. When I flew out of Iraq, I caught a ride on a C-5. On the way out of Bagdad, one of the thrust reveres opened up.

That's (allegedly) why the C5 crashed at Ramstein in October 1990. It just got off the ground then went in about 200 yards off the end of the runway. It was being ferried to Rhein-Main, about 15 flying minutes away to get fixed, but never made it. 7 people actially walked away from it.

Phil

Strange how we have to remind ourselves how old some of these planes are getting, which only seem to have entered service recently....

I mean, really...my first impression with this C-5 post was, "but the B's only came out last decade...no, WAIT....it's really been nearly 20 years!!!" :thumbsup: It's a wakeup call when that hits you.