F-15 version differences?

I was wondering, could someone tell me what, if any, external visual differences there are between the Alpha and Charlie versions of the F-15 Eagle? I saw several at Tinker Air Force Base here in Oklahoma City this past Independence Day weekend, but couldn't tell which version they were. (Didn't even have any stenciling to that effect that I could see, or serial numbers.) Any info anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

I was wondering, could someone tell me what, if any, external visual differences there are between the Alpha and Charlie versions of the F-15 Eagle? I saw several at Tinker Air Force Base here in Oklahoma City this past Independence Day weekend, but couldn't tell which version they were. (Didn't even have any stenciling to that effect that I could see, or serial numbers.) Any info anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

the main outside difference are the wheels but,,,,,many As have C wheels through the MSIP program. The internal differences are mostly not visible but the weapons panel on the MSIP C is different than the A along with a CRT screen on the instrument panel.

HTH

Mike

the main outside difference are the wheels but,,,,,many As have C wheels through the MSIP program. The internal differences are mostly not visible but the weapons panel on the MSIP C is different than the A along with a CRT screen on the instrument panel.

HTH

Mike

Thing is, I don't know the differences between Alpha and Charlie wheels, and I couldn't get a look at the cockpit (ladders were retracted and the canopies were closed). Both aircraft had a 'Foxtrot Foxtrot' tailcode, if that helps at all.

Chris, those were Langley jets - C models.

Serial numbers for C start with 78+

The A/Bs have C/D wheels now, and Cs have the antennae off the right rear boom next to the exhaust nozzle.

The left, rear fuselage slime light on As is also split, and the Cs are not

It is hard to tell the differences now.

Are you talking real world differences or modeling differences? In either case you would have to distinguish between pre and post MSIP for both jets. Pre-MSIP, The C moldel could carry CFT's, had much better electronics, and had different wheels. Post MSIP the A model became almost identical to the C model electronically (with some exceptions), while for modeling purposes the C had an antenna mounted on the right tail boom, which the A didn't and the A was never modified (in U.S. service) to carry CFT's. In addition there were numerous programs that were not part of MSIP that could either bring the two closer together (like the wheels) or differentiate the two (ALE-58 and the antennas on the radome) over the years. Bottom line now, when the A and C are MSIP, you can look at the tail number (C models have 78 or later tail mumbers) or look for the antennaes on the right tail boom or at the base of the radome.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
Serial numbers for C start with 78+

My turn to be pedantic... :woot.gif:

The last F-15A was 77-0153, and the first F-15C was 78-0468

The last F-15B was 77-0168, and the first F-15D was 78-0561

These are for USAF Eagles, not sure if any export A/Bs exceed this range.

There appears to be a differance in the way the air brake is faired into the fuselage. On the last block of A models and all the C models this area was more streamlined and on the earlier A's it was more of a wedge. Several early references show the differences. You can also look at the Mono 1/48 F15 (any of them, they didn't change the molds when they released the kit as a C) and the Hasa 1/48 F-15. The wheels on the Mono F-15 is also the early A wheels where as the Hasa kit has the C wheels.

Edited by Yamatosam

Just remember anything dealing with accuracy between A/B and C/D models all depends on timeframe you are modeling, pre MISIP, etc.... The wheels are a major item ( but pre or post MISIP) as is the speedbrake fairing which changed to a more scalloped look on the C's in comparison to all A models with the wedge shape except pre production types and first jets with the first style of speedbrake (short one) and lets not forget wing tips changing from the earley earley A models to the C. The panels changed as well in configuration between A and C models, plus take a look at referances between F-15's and you will find that the rudders changed as well. I could keep on going but not any of this is needed in model form, just the ramblings of an old F-15 Crew Dawg.

Cheers Dave

:cheers: F-15 Crew Chief/ Engines/ Hydraulics/ Crash Recovery on F-15A/B/C/D/E/I/J and the S models, retired but still sane. ;)

• 1 month later...