Hope this hasn't been posted here already... did a quick check and I dunna think so...

If you follow the international warbird scene at all you may be familiar with 'Red 7', the Bf 109G-4 (actually a converted Buchon) which was restored to airworthy condition fairly recently. If you haven't seen this beauty, here she is...

Red7001b.jpg

Image source/credit: unknown web

Unfortunately, she crashed yesterday... pilot is okay...

Bruchlandung der alten 'Me 109' (Crash landing of the old ' ME 109 ')

30.000 Arbeitstunden Restauration in Trümmern (30,000 work hours of restoration in rubble)

If you don't know German you can use an online translator such as Babel Fish to read the article.

Fade to Black...

Edited by BlackWolf3945

Ooooohhhh, B) that's very sad news.

I last see him flying in France, on the La Ferté Airshow, the 15th of may.

Glad i took some nice pic's of it, i hope it will not turn up the same way like the BF-109G2, G-USTV, but i doubt it iff they gonna put again so much work in it and money.

Greetz

Davamoplanes :cheers:

Ouch. This will undoubtedly bring up the old topic of "too rare to fly"

Yup, maybe they are too rare to fly, but da^^it! they are too beautiful to just sit there! I would be as giddy as a schoolgirl to see and hear one flying low overhead at full power.

you may be familiar with 'Red 7', the Bf 109G-4 (actually a converted Buchon)

If it was an original 109G then I would be one of the ones that would be in the "too rare to fly" crowd... but considering it was a converted Buchon, it's not such a painful loss. At least there's a good many of the Buchons still around... whereas Black 6 had a wartime history that would've been lost forever had it been totally destroyed.

I may be wrong, but the photos of this one don't look that bad... at least with enough time & money it looks like it could be put back in the air. Finding original pieces for it may be tough though... unless somebody finally started re-producing a lot of the original 109 specific parts. Wonder if the DB is damaged beyond re-build/re-use?

It's not that it was a converted Buchon that made it special, but the fact that it was the only flying Me-109 with a true DB-605A engine. I think they parted out like 11 engines to make the one.

Jeff

MBB in Germany have two converted Buchons, D-FMBB and D-FEHD. Not certain of there current status but both were regular flyers within the last few years. Ed Russell in Canada has a genuine '109E that flies with a DB, and Paul Allen has a genuine DB powered '109E that is very close to flying and may have already flown. Regards, Chad Veich.

Only the sound of the DB605, when the BF109G makes a low pas at high speed, i'll find very special.

I hope there is no curse on me, because, when i saw the Black 6, G-USTV flying back in the 90's, a couple off month's later it made a crashlanding.

Now again, i saw the Red 7 flying at the La Ferté airshow in may, and......yes a few months later it makes a crashlanding......ooohhhhhh :beer4:

I'll hope it fly's again soon. :huh:

Greetz

Davamoplanes ;)

Last saw it at Zeltweg in Austria last month. The pilot that flew it at that show had over 20000 hours on various types and was still an Airbus pilot but he wasn't the pilot this time as he was in his 40's and this one was 69 years old. Not sure if I would let a 69 year old fly my rare old warbird to be honnest!

Koen

The guy that crashed it, was one of the owners. Wouldn't you want to fly with it if you had one of these? He may be experienced, but this is not a plane with an opposed Lycoming engine.

He bounced on landing and tried to take off again. But it seems he forgot what happens when you push the throttle to the firewall with a DB605A.

Their pilot for airshows does indeed have a lot of flight time in the 109. He also flies the MBB owned aircraft.