NASA tent at Dayton Airshow

And if you stand in line with five-year-olds for a bit, they'll take a snapshot of your face and photoshop it into this.

To clarify: It's the people who run the NASA tent who took the photograph, not the five-year olds.

Hey, thanks for the pics. Always nice to see real space craft models. Question though, I wonder if they'll ever complete the ISS? Or has Bush side tracked NASA to going back to the moon and eventually Mars? My opinion is the ISS should have priority. There's more to be learnt in Earth orbit and the ISS is the best tool to draw that information out.

Randy

Hey, thanks for the pics. Always nice to see real space craft models. Question though, I wonder if they'll ever complete the ISS?

Most of the parts are all built and sitting in storage at KSC; the problem is getting them up in the finite number of flights before the Shuttle retires in 2010. Some elements were cancelled, but as far as I know the plan is to more-or-less finish it.

Of course, if it were up to me, we'd put the money into a "big dumb booster" that we could use to do the whole thing quicker and cheaper. The ISS' total mass was supposed to be 370 tonnes. So we could have built the equivalent of the entire ISS with 3-4 launches of a Saturn-V or similar booster, rather than dozens of Shuttle and Proton flights. I'm no expert but I have to believe this would have been easier and cheaper.

Ah well... It's easy to criticize after the fact. (That's what makes it so much fun.)