Enough to make me cry... :cheers::crying::angry:

web_050719-N-5345W-037.jpg

One of the final F-14B Tomcats to launch from the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) receives an impromptu send-off from Sailors assigned to VF-32.

web_050719-N-5345W-039.jpg

A squadron final checker holds his position while giving a thumbs up signal as one of the last F-14B Tomcats launches from the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75).

web_050719-N-5345W-069.jpg

web_050719-N-5345W-070.jpg

Four F-14B Tomcats, assigned to the "Swordsmen" of Fighter Squadron Three Two (VF-32), perform a diamond formation fly-by at the conclusion of Carrier Air Wing Three (CVW-3) fly-off aboard the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75). The current underway-period marks the final time the F-14 Tomcat will take part in flight operations while embarked aboard Truman. VF-32 will shortly begin the process of transitioning to the newer F/A-18F Super Hornet.

A point of pride for Tomcat folks. My adopted son is a Marine Major who normally flies HH-53E helicopters. He just completed a tour in Iraq as an ALO, Air Liaison Officer with a Marine Force Recon company in extreme western Iraq. He spent a good portion of each day calling in air strikes on the bad guys and his number one preference for speed, accuracy and general "get the job done right" was ALWAYS the F-14D Bomb Cat drivers. They were better than USAF Strike Eagles, Vipers and Warthogs, better than Marine CAS with Hornets or Harriers and far superior to USA Apaches, who rarely do CAS.

Darwin

ya, it broke my heart to write those captions and post them on the navy website! :cheers: but then again, when was the last time we had that many Tomcat pics posted on the navys website, made me feel good for once <_< sick of those hornets hehe

<_< So that´s it :cheers: I will never ever see an operational Tomcat in my life.

You guys can´t imagine what it is like to love that aircraft and not having the chance to see one.

István

<_< So that´s it :cheers: I will never ever see an operational Tomcat in my life.

You guys can´t imagine what it is like to love that aircraft and not having the chance to see one.

István

Come vist us here in Wichita, Kansas... Istvan! I'll drive you down to Tulsa and you can see the one in our air museum! (can even sit inside it if you'd like!) or We can go up to Topeka and see Darren's :cheers:

Edited by Skull Leader

Thanks for the offer, I´ll see what I can do to make his happen! :cheers:

When I visit the USA, I will have to travel a lot: friends in Chicago, Family in Tennessee, New Jersey, Oregon, North Dakota, would like to see some folks in California-> this is going to be expensive and will sure take me 3 months and another 3 to regenerate <_<

István

Sad to see! I suppose Tom Cruise will have to requal on the Rhino!!

Merv

Actually, Tom Cruise is 2 inches too small to be a fighter pilot :rolleyes:

István

Edited by I.Illes
:rolleyes: So that´s it :banana: I will never ever see an operational Tomcat in my life.

István

i've seen them, smelled them, tasted them (they leak alot) and been physically hurt by them...

they are like the most wonderfully sexy and dangerous woman you have ever seen...

i guess theyre kinda like Angelina Jolie (or YOUR personal favorite female) when shes all pi$$ed off and $ex sweaty all at the same time...

hard to explain... they just 'are'...

my most favorite aircraft in all the world

Merv

He never took a ride. Everyone else from "Top Gun" that was offered a ride in a Tomcat took it. He, however, did not. Heard from a guy that was there that he was a total jerk. :wave:

John :huh:

Merv

He never took a ride. Everyone else from "Top Gun" that was offered a ride in a Tomcat took it. He, however, did not. Heard from a guy that was there that he was a total jerk. :wave:

John :huh:

yeah, I think you have your wires crossed. It was Val Kilmer who was too scared to take an actual hop. There is footage on the new Top Gun DVD of Tom Cruise actually in the RIOs seat up in the air.

Guest mr. tomcat

VF-32 will play host to their 60TH anniversary/reunion during this year's Oceana Air Show. You better believe there will be at least one Swordsman Tomcat left. Most likely painted in a special scheme too.

SUPER RHINOS WILL RULE THE SKY ONLY AFTER THE LAST TOMCAT LANDS AT THE BONEYARD TO DIE!

Guest mr. tomcat

I know they're not fighters but they are aerodynamic and there is an airplane in the background.

:thumbsup:

Edited by mr. tomcat

It's a sad day to see the venerable 'Cat going out to pasture. The Rhino can't hold a candle to the F-14 - no how, no way. Think of this too, this ends a long tradition of Grumman build fighters in front line service with the navy. Except for that slight interuption back in the 60's with that thing call, er, uh a "Phantom" its been Grumman products since the 1930's. How's does that old saying go... "The name Grumman on an aircraft is like the name Sterling on silver." They really don't come any finer. And there's really nothing "Grumman-like" in the pipe for the Navy any time soon.

Randy

Well, there is one way to still see Tomcats in operational service, but you have to go to Iran to do it (kind of difficult to do). Its rather ironic that the final operator of the Tomcat will be a country that we regretted selling them to after the Shah government fell in the late 1970s. The Iraqis also regretted that we sold the Iranians those cats as well because they got their butts whipped by the Ali Cats in combat. The political leaders of Iran may be not so nice, but at least their military got their money's worth out of Grumman's big cat.