Hasegawa F-18 Intakes

One of the problem areas on the 1/48 Hasegawa F-18 model (A,B,C or D) is the fit of the intake pieces (assembly number 5 in the instructions). Some of you may know that I've built this kit more than a few times. I tried something slightly different on the latest kit I'm working on.

Before, I'd always fight with sandpaper and files to correct the intakes. This was always difficult as the previous assembly section in the instructions (4) calls for the top half of the model to be fixed to the bottom half. Getting under the wing and leading edge extension to fix the intakes always presented a challenge.

On my latest project, I decided (after much dry-fitting and examination) to skip the assembly number 4. I left the top half off and went on to install the intakes in number 5. Once the pieces were in place, I did some dry-fitting of the top and bottom halves to make sure I didn't just ruin an $85 model. I haven't glued the top to the bottom yet, but I have found that it won't be real difficult to do this now. The gluing of the top half to the bottom will have to be done in stages, but it can be done after the intakes (including parts B6 and B7) have been intalled.

Back to the intakes. After installing the intakes, I found it MUCH easier to correct the poor fit. Without the upper half in place, the intakes can be made to look like a continuous part of the fuse, rather than an 85% corrected flaw. Doing it the old way, I was never able to completely fix the top portion of the intake. Now I've conquered that problem spot.

So, if you're building this kit and you've forseen this problem area, try this method and you may be happy with the results.

Cheers,

Tilt

Hi Tilt,

That is how I build all my Hasegawa Hornets. I have told many people to deviate from the instructions. I find the fit is far superior this way. I only built my first one as per the instructions.

I build the bottom half first. I put on the fuselage side panels and align the intake up at that time. I do all my sanding at this step too. I think this is step four. At any rate, you explained exactly what I do.

The other area I deviate from is the flaps. I install the hinges first. That way I get the proper angle and no gaps.

Scooby,

I'm the same with the flaps!!

Yes, the intakes were much easier to do this go around. Not exactly sure why it took me 12 models to figure this one out. :( :cheers::thumbsup:

However, I will say this. I do remember my first few cracks at this kit. The flaws that exist now were not present in the earlier runs. It's only been in the last few years that the intakes are so bad (as well as other parts). It has to be bad molds.

Cheers,

Tilt

What a coincidence, I tried this last night with a Hasegawa Hornet. :(

Tilt's right on the money. Gluing the intake side on before stick the top part on really does help take care of the nasty fit quibble. If you glue the top and bottom fuselage together and then put the intake side in it might set a little inwards thus throwing off the fit.

Gluing the intake side onto the bottom intake allows you to bend it around a bit so you can make the intake lip blend in better with the fuselage.

Thanks for the tip Tilt! You've just saved us some money on putty. :cheers:

Sorry Sean!!! :(

But then again...I'm still coming up with better methods each model. And I'm only on my 12th Hornet.

What...me slow??!!

:cheers:

James,

I'm glad I was able to help you. This was my intention.

Cheers,

Tilt

I see now that you put the step # in your post. When I wrote the reply I couldn't read your post.

I have told so many people to do it that way I remember the steps and the part numbers. Pretty sad ?

I always though it was a cruddy fit. I built my first Hasegawa Hornet 10 years ago. I've lost track of how many I've built. I have about 10 unbuilt (A's one B and D's).

I got a D free once and I paid as low as $25.00 Cdn for the Hase F-18A twice. The free one was for brokering a deal to a well known Hyperscaler that bought a box of 1/48 D's from my local shop. The owner shipped them prior to payment and was subsequently ripped off. No payment was ever made and the guy got 23 F-18D's for free.