Why do Navy and Air Force jets sound different?

Living in Hampton Roads I hear both Navy and Air Force jets everything from Tomcats and Hornets to Eagles and Raptors, and even a few Falcons. I have made a major observation on sound though, Air Force jets sound hollow. Navy jets have a more full sounding roar when they go past you. Is there any particular reason behind this outside of just different engines?

- Chris

F-16's and F-15's used the same engines originally...the venerable Pratt & Whitney F-100.

Later, the F-16 started using the GE-101. It gave about 5k lbs more thrust and was larger in diameter....thus pretty much making it unsuitable for the F-15 (I was told...but may be wrong)

A lot of the sound signature has to do with intake design as well.

Usually, though, different engines yeild different sounds. Like Boom175 said

especially when the engine in question is an almost 50 year old design turbojet orginally meant for cruise missiles.

You never have to look to know a Prowler is in the break :beer4:

F-16's and F-15's used the same engines originally...the venerable Pratt & Whitney F-100.

Later, the F-16 started using the GE-101. It gave about 5k lbs more thrust and was larger in diameter....thus pretty much making it unsuitable for the F-15 (I was told...but may be wrong)

Only one F-16 was fitted with the F101-GE (GE-101) engine, and then only temporarily. Production Vipers use either F100-PW or F110-GE engines.

The F110-GE engine is also used in production F-15Ks.

Later, the F-16 started using the GE-101.  It gave about 5k lbs more thrust and was larger in diameter....thus pretty much making it unsuitable for the F-15 (I was told...but may be wrong)

Usually, though, different engines yeild different sounds.  Like Boom175 said

especially when the engine in question is an almost 50 year old design turbojet orginally meant for cruise missiles.

You never have to look to know a Prowler is in the break :lol:

or on the cat for that matter...

Well, F-111s and P&W powered Tomcats tend to sound the same when shooting approaches because they use pretty much the same engines. That powerplant is just a whiney engine regardless of the inlet design. But, nothing sounds as awsome as a GE powered F-14B or D model. Those things roared like crazy at power.

Later, the F-16 started using the GE-101.  It gave about 5k lbs more thrust and was larger in diameter....thus pretty much making it unsuitable for the F-15 (I was told...but may be wrong)

Usually, though, different engines yeild different sounds.  Like Boom175 said

You never have to look to know a Prowler is in the break :cheers:

or a Tornado.

Matt :huh:

Uh let's see.

Navy jets twins Lower , Slower,Shorter :worship:

Air force jets Singles Higher, Faster, Farther :worship:

(ya ever notice it usually take 2 guys to fly a Navy jet but only 1 to fly and Airforce jet? :worship: )

Main Entry: 2pilot

Function: transitive verb

1 : to act as a guide to : lead or conduct over a usually difficult course

Main Entry: avi·a·tor

Pronunciation: 'A-vE-"A-t&r, 'a-

Function: noun

: the operator or pilot of an aircraft and especially an airplane

Seems like being an "Aviator" is pretty Technical :worship:

This is my dumb answer, navy jets probably sound different becaue they need to take off in those short distances(carriers). I'd guess they need the extra power, hence louder sound??? Bigger engine? :wacko:

But I am for the airforce "pilots" too, bacause they......"live alone"! :worship:

"We live in fame or go down in flame, nothing will stop the U.S. Air Force!!!!!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship::D

-Nate :woo:

Trying to kick this thread back to some semblance of reality...

Honestly, one of the reasons many people think Navy and AF jets sound different in the pattern stems from a fundamental difference in USN and USAF pattern ops.

Once established in a pattern, the USN jets leave their gear down. Closed patterns, outside container, etc. Doesn't matter, the gear stay down once established.

USAF pattern ops mean you put the gear down once on final, base, or prior to rolling off the perch on inside downwind. When flying outside downwind, up initial, or crosswind, our landing gear are up. End result? We're carrying much less power in the pattern, and the engines are not NEARLY as loud.

Not saying I'm right, but I know that I've been told how much quieter USAF pattern ops are compared to USN.

-Waco

and that reminds me of the F-15E pilot who let me fly a bit in the closed "container" - that's where I was reminded about ANOTHER difference in pattern work... lets just say I forgot about the squared corners.... :rofl: