Space Shuttle question

• 2 months later...

In my opinion, best image representations to date of Columbia come from the Space In Miniature book #3 on the shuttle:

http://www.spaceinminiature.com/

It has line diagrams of Columbia as it looked until about 1992 and except for the addition of the drag chute housing at the base of the tail (the reference for Endeavour shows the tail modification needed) and the changing of the elevon hinge flipper doors from black Inconnel X material to white (along with the addition of NASA Meatball markings to the wings and fuselage), it remained in that configuration more or less. A couple payload bay vent doors were deleted here and there, but things pretty much remained the same.

The TPS drawings in the Dennis Jenkins books (or original images from the NASA websites) will also work well enough, but at least the SIM #3 book gives good color references from a model building standpoint. They are what I used for my Columbia STS-107 stack back in 2004.

Hi Jay,

the book Space Shuttle by Dennis R. Jenkins I've bought me just and the SIM #3 book I have ordered. Do you know, whether there is a similar book, technical documentation or report about the MLP with photos and drawings? I'm looking for such a source for my MLP build. :rolleyes:

Thanks

Manfred

:wave:

• 5 months later...

I am obsessed with models of the Shuttle Orbiter as well since I saw it flying by my house atop a 747 back in 1983 returning from the Paris Air Show. First, I made the Monogram 1/72 Model but it was too detailed that I went nuts trying to do it. It's very long as well.Also, I lost the large cargo bay doors which hinge open and closed so I had to re-purchase the kit just to get those doors! The painting of the nose was a nightmare since it is black and the black paint ran into the white of the spacecraft. I masked the part to stay white, but the paint ran anyway. I should have used flat grey coat. The model is nice but takes up lots of space. I also built the Shuttle atop the launch pad in a 1/288 scale. The black stripes on the tail were impossible to paint so I left it white. Recently, I got the Shuttle atop the 747 combo for about $55. After 2 weeks of work, I finally finished but beware it comes with very thin plastic struts which do NOT keep the Shuttle atop the 747. The Shuttle keeps falling-off the 747 and glue won't help. The model otherwise is lovely; very detailed with over 80 decals to attach. It was fun until attaching the Shuttle.

• 5 months later...

If I recall, good pics of the AFRSI on 80's and 90's orbiters are in Mike Mackowski's excellent "Space in Miniature" book on the shuttles. The books are now available for download on his website: Space in Miniature

David Hanners built at least one model of a 1/144 shuttle orbiter using some type of medical tape cut into squares to simulate the texture of the AFRSI blankets. I've always wanted to try it when I can find the time to rebuild my Revell 1/144 Discovery! The effect looked very convincing.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know what it says in the yellow boxes on this external feature of the space shuttle?

It is located on the right side just above the very front of the right wing on the orbiter. It looks like another purge valve like the other ones so I have an idea of what it says but I can't find any pictures of that area on the shuttle that are up close enough to read it. I have made this preliminary sketch of the shapes and colors of it based on pictures but I just need the text that goes in the boxes. I want to make it a decal for a custom space shuttle decal sheet I'm working on.

Screenshot2014-02-04at122037AM_zpsef9bd7ec.png

The top box has "F/C PURGE PORT" and the bottom box says "TO REMAIN CLEAR AND OPEN" at the top and "AT ALL TIMES" on the bottom. BTW, if you're interested in a little time savings, I have a decal sheet drawn up I can send you in a scalable .pdf or Adobe Illustrator format. You may want to make some changes but it might help you a little. If you want the file just PM me with your e-mail and I'll send it right out to you.

Bill

Thanks niart17, so this is another FC purge port, I wasn't sure if it was another FC purge port or if all the purge ports say the same thing. The other two FC purge ports say the same thing in but just look different.

Yes, I would like to use the decal sheet you have made, thanks for sharing it. I'll PM you with my email.

Alex

The top box has "F/C PURGE PORT" and the bottom box says "TO REMAIN CLEAR AND OPEN" at the top and "AT ALL TIMES" on the bottom. BTW, if you're interested in a little time savings, I have a decal sheet drawn up I can send you in a scalable .pdf or Adobe Illustrator format. You may want to make some changes but it might help you a little. If you want the file just PM me with your e-mail and I'll send it right out to you.

Bill

Thanks niart17, so this is another FC purge port, I wasn't sure if it was another FC purge port or if all the purge ports say the same thing. The other two FC purge ports say the same thing in but just look different.

Yes, I would like to use the decal sheet you have made, thanks for sharing it. I'll PM you with my email.

Alex

I'm about 95% sure that's what it says. I haven't found a really clear shot of that side, but on the clearest shots I could find of it, it appears the same as the left side. I also seem to recall seeing a marking schematic for the whole shuttle and seeing that it was the same. I'll keep looking to confirm that though. Of course at 1/200 scale I doubt it will be legible. Hope they help you out.

Bill

• 10 months later...

High resolution 360 degree zoomable panorama photos of Space Shuttle Discovery from several different views. The website includes areas such as the Flight Deck, Mid Deck, Underside, Payload Bay and the SSME aft mounts.

The website says these pictures were taken while Discovery was in the OPF at KSC being prepared for STS-133. Very cool pictures and could also be a useful Space Shuttle model reference resource.

Enjoy !

360vr Discovery

• 4 years later...

With the 50th anniversary of the moon landing generation a renewed interest in the space program do you think they will reissue the 1/72nd Shuttle with the ET and SRB's??? Saw some on ebay but whew...very pricey! I would like one to go with my 72nd Saturn V and Saturn 1B. I did score an Airfix 1/144 scale shuttle stack...the later boxed version off of ebay.  

Cheers....Ron