How to Build Aircraft Dioramas

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh man, John, I've been following your thread since I first joined ARC; now I can't see any pictures! Will you be able to fix it? Your post is one that I always check on my irregular visit to the forum and has thought me so much. It is a bummer. If you can't fix it at least please share the link to your photobucket stream because I know for sure a lot of people watch your thread and learn from it, even though there aren't many replies, people watch it. Just like a good movie, you don't want to interrupt the action... at least in my case. Keep up the good work and don't give up.

ARC admins, please keep this thread alive as it is an invaluable source of information and a huge help for our hobby. I am sure you know that already.

Best regards,

Chris

• 3 years later...

Hi guys! back again.Been away, busy with commissions.now I back doing this stuff for fun.Being 77 now there are a few things that I would like to do before I head off to the happy hunting ground.Cheers ! John.

Been away so long that I am back to a newby  because I had to re-register  using a different email.Oh well ,so be it.

I will try to replace most of the photos from my own computer this time instead of facebook

Edited by John W Reid

This diorama is 95% wood built mostly with coffee stir sticks and tongue depressors readily available anywhere.
Now on permanent display at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa Canada.Appraised value by Shep Paine twenty-five thousand U.S. dollars.
I am very proud of this and am not bragging here but stating a "Mission Accomplished" fact.I first picked up Shep's book back in the early 70's and promised myself that one day I would this too.Over the years I often leafed through it but I was too busy woodcarving at the time.
At age 60 in the year 2000 I finally got the chance to dedicate myself to dioramas.One thing led to another and I needed an appraiser for my work for the museum.I figured ah what the hell I might as well go to the top and ask Shep all he can do is say no.
Well, he didn't but what really surprised me is that he appraised my work at the same level as what he was getting for his famous Box Dioramas.Just before he retired he had asked that others take up the from where he had left. off.I am very proud that I took up this challenge.I am so happy and especially at an art level that he appreciated my work.The last evaluation that he did for me was only a few days before his death.Thanks to Shep my mission was accomplished.

Thank you guys for saving this thread.I had forgotten. about all the stuff that it contains.I think that I am reaching the end of my diorama building (I am 77) days and I really should start thinking of putting all this stuff together before I get too much longer in the tooth.Once I get all the next together, initially by just taking the text off the screen with my camera(the cheapest way I think) then I could edit it to have it all together in one place and maybe someday turn it all into a book or How to...Manual.I still have access to all my pics on Facebook and stored in my camera.Although all the pics that I have posted are gone from here it shouldn't be too hard to match up the text with the pics.

WOW! thank you for restoring my posts.It means a lot to this old guy.I am out of Facebook entirely now due to my age and I only follow one aircraft forum and one ship forum and that is enough.You know it is a funny thing about aging, things like Facebook become too confusing and your body may fall apart but your creativity seems to go on.Cheers! John. 

• 2 weeks later...