How to Build Aircraft Dioramas

This is close to the final composition.The aircraft wings are inside the outer modules for easy access.The aircraft is slightly off any 45 deg angle and the pilot figure is also off to one side.

Thank you to whoever it was that suggested this arrangement to me a long time ago, of using this backyard for the airplane instead of the other.Sometimes when you look at something for a long time you can't see the forest for the trees.

This is close to the final composition.The aircraft wings are inside the outer modules for easy access.The aircraft is slightly off any 45 deg angle and the pilot figure is also off to one side.

Thank you to whoever it was that suggested this arrangement to me a long time ago, of using this backyard for the airplane instead of the other.Sometimes when you look at something for a long time you can't see the forest for the trees.

IMPRESSIVE.....BEAUTIFULLY built... :worship::worship::worship:

When chipping away at the landscaping trying to dig a hole for the wheel/grass areas ,I came to realize just how strong this sand/glue or earth/ glue mix really is.

Anything that you would want to build for strength or that you would want to look like real cement ,such as sidewalks,cement blocks etc..this technique would be worthwhile experimenting with.

For example ,when making a cement block you would make a simple form,it could be wood or something else and then insulate the form and the cement from one another using wax paper or other water impervious material so the two will not be glued together and the block could later easily be removed.The properties and color etc..of your materials can be chosen to represent real thing.(Landscaping suppliers have lots of choices)Fancier molds could also be made for miniature statues etc..

Check your piece that you want to represent for color ,texture etc..(sand and real earth are available in different textures and colors) and then mix up a batch as follows.

It is a good idea to sterilize anything that you take from nature so heat it up in the oven or BBQ until hot to kill any possible critters laying about.The longer you heat it in a BBQ and depending on the temperature you heat it to, the sand/earth can be made to vary in color from natural to black.

Cool and then take your baked earth/sand and mix it with alcohol (75%) until it is the consistency that you require or you could pour the dry material into the mold and then use an eye dropper to apply the alcohol until it is thoroughly damp.Take another dispenser,(I use a small plastic squeeze bottle for this) and then drip by drip thoroughly wet down your sand/earth/alcohol mix until it is wet with another mix of 75% water and 25% white carpenters glue.This mix could also be colored using water based acrylics.Let dry,remove it from the form and you will have imitation cement.Have fun!

Please note:

The title of this piece has been changed to better reflect the real storyline line.I now call it "The Road Taken".

The poem written by Robert Frost "The Road Not Taken." was the inspiration for this piece.It is an old story told many times before, in many different ways ,about how we make changes in our lives,sometimes on the spur of the moment,that continue to affect us way down the road .

Our young aviator ,in my diorama,is standing at the crossroads,the same crossroads that he stood upon years earlier.He is now reflecting upon how that decision he made way back then is affecting his life now and how it will continue to affect his life in the future.

The underlying theme here is one of loss,loss of the innocence of our young aviator but also the loss of innocence of aviation itself.

At the end of one of his choices of roads to take, sits his homes garage.The sign could of been put up by his kids or his mom or even his dad.I wanted the sign to be really subtle as if someone took some glue and cardboard or paper and just pasted it there.I don't want it to be too obvious, more to catch the views eye on maybe the second pass over the scene.A kind of " Oh Look " moment.

Please note: the unusual shape of this garage door is because it used to have an arched doorway to a stable for horses.The addition of the later siding squared it off to unusual proportions.

At the end of the other "Road Taken" lies a "Dead End" quite literally one of loss and destruction, represented here by the old burned out car and all the dead leaves.The sign represents the folly of misplaced patriotism by the public and the pressure that was put on the young to get involved in giving up their lives for nothing.

On a personal note : My view is that WW1 and most other wars are a waste of good lives on both sides. WW2 on the other hand was unfortunately necessary to rid humanity of a great evil.

At the end of the other "Road Taken" lies a "Dead End" quite literally one of loss and destruction, represented here by the old burned out car and all the dead leaves.The sign represents the folly of misplaced patriotism by the public and the pressure that was put on the young to get involved in giving up their lives for nothing.

On a personal note : My view is that WW1 and most other wars are a waste of good lives on both sides. WW2 on the other hand was unfortunately necessary to rid humanity of a great evil.

John

I agree with you....Even now lives are lost and that is sad.. :salute:

and the garage door and the burnt out old vehicle is a masterpiece...I have enjoyed every single thing about this thread of yours and when it is done I will MISS IT.

HOLMES

I like to make my views known through my dioramas.We can't all be John Lennon's or Bob Dylan's but it is my way. Thank you Holmes, you have been with me with your encouraging words since the beginning.It means a lot to me.Cheers! John.

:salute:

John,

THANK YOU

.... ...But it is your tenacious fortitude for this this thread which has made ME

come back again and again to view it, and admire it, and learn from it albeit I will never probably ever build such a

SUPERB, STUNNING diorama as yours {or for that matter anything that will be as good and FANTASTIC as your work Sir, :salute: }

I do not think that I have ever heard you complain about any obstacles that camne your way but instead found a

logical, innovative inventive ideas and ways to make it happen.Then go and build it...

Each new thing has excited MY mind and made ME aware of newer things that can and are used in constructing a " STORY DIORAMA ".

THE Jenny Diorama , the backyard flyer JUST OUTSTANDING ...EVERYTHING is PERFECTION...BEAUTIFULLY detailed in every aspect whether the mechanics of the build are exposed and can be seen or not...

Is this going to be recorded on paper besides this thread, and OR sent to say CAM for everyone to be able to see it...

I applaud your generosity in answering MY sometimes stupid questions and allowing ME to tag along like a hungry animal.

I am in TOTAL AWE of yur Diorama...

KUDOS JOHN :worship::worship:

Humbled by your work,HOLMES

:smiley-whacky084:

Hi Holmes ! Yes all four dioramas will be on display at the museum.The fourth "The Road Taken" I will hold back for awhile as a backdrop for my own picture taking purposes using classic cars and RR cars but it should be there before the new year.

Thanks for asking ! Cheers John.

Edited by JohnReid

Why Keep Posting ?

You may be asking yourself,why does he keep posting this stuff when there is so little active response to his posts?

Number one is, to fulfill a promise that I made to myself 12 years ago to spread the word about dioramas as far and as wide as I possibly could,simply because I love dioramas.

Number two is, how do I know anybody is tuning in ? well in only one year I have got almost a million hits on my photobucket site. Yes,I can't believe it either.Most are repeats but still a million hits is very encouraging to keep on going with this stuff.

On occasion someone will tell me how they have been following my stuff for a long time ,sometimes on another site.

Number three is the amount of hits that I get on some websites that I post to.You guys may not always respond but I know that you are following along.

I want to thank all you guys and gals who have supported me now and in the past.You will never know how much your support means to this old guy. Cheers ! John.

Edited by JohnReid

:salute:John

I am glad that you keep postng because for ME it means that you have either updated it with a new technique or you have something exciting and informative to say...either way I am pleased that you post regardless...... your ADVICE IS VERY GOOD ON TECHNIQUES Sir. :worship:

A lifetime of modeling does not happen over night and you, Sir, are a GENIUS.. :worship:

I have and will enjoy this build....this should be pinned for future reference and patented with your techniques....as you have techniques on how to paint figures, make bricks, roof tiles etc etc....rusted vehicles....etc ....I do not think that any other person has done more for HOW TO .BUILD DIORAMAS than you { with respect to MR Shepard too}.... :worship::worship:

Yes I have been to your photobucket many many times as it FASCINATES ME....Happy Modeling and keep on spreading the Diorama build word

John also may I say that you are humble about your work and that is so refreshing. :worship:

HOLMES

edit:spelling mistake. :rolleyes:

Edited by HOLMES

A large scale diorama can be built for taking pictures of all types of models.They can be built expressly for that purpose or as in my case as a temporary backdrop before I ship it off.This backdrop was originally made for my airplane diorama "The Road Taken".The airplane has been temporary stored in my home and can be re-installed back in the diorama in as little as five minutes.Actually I have more fun taking pictures than the actual modeling and in some cases I like the pictures better than the model or diorama.Storyboarding using your own pictures is also a lot of fun too when using them in a picture book or album.In my case the storyboard albums will be for members of my family and friends because the real thing will be gone to a better home.

This thread is about ideas not a specific type or genre of modeling.Website owners please feel free to move it or delete it at your own discretion if you feel that it does not meet the standards of your site.I don't mind,honest !