How to Build Aircraft Dioramas

John, good luck and keep posting any updates of that beautiful work!

Btw.: the story about the boy was great, only a few people have a sense for things like that nowadays. Good to see! :lol:

István

You know I am really torn between the idea of the museum and something a lot simpler.

The whole storyline of the Wright Flyer will be the sense of wonderment that the boy and his grandfather share when looking up at the airplane.Do I really need all the extras(besidesI am getting fed up building buildings and not airplanes.)The museum idea would be just another complicated build.Maybe this time I should go with the KISS principal and the windtunnel idea that I had originally planned.

I am a woodcarver,so I was thinking maybe I should carve a windtunnel out of walnut or whatever and place the airplane and figures in there.(obviously the windtunnel would not be running)Maybe the grandfather is an aerospace engineer bringing his grandson to show him where he works.The ideas are really two extremes of complication but the simpler one would still tell the story and in the end maybe even more powerful for the viewer if not too many other things are going on.Artistically it is also nice to have the contrast between the simplicity of the windtunnel, in natural wood, and the realism of the complicated airplane. Hmmmmm........Cheers! John. :thumbsup:

Diorama Update:

(Yes,I have created my own little world but it is a far better place than any other world that I see out there.)

As most of you guys know by now,I really love dioramas.dioramas of all kinds aircraft,ships,cars etc... it really doesnt matter as long as it tells a story.Because of this love and in the interest of giving back to a hobby that has given me so much joy, I am trying to promote dioramas in any way I can.In addition to this thread i run another one as well on aircraft,two threads on ships and one on autos.

I have noticed a few differences in all three groups.The auto guys seem to be much more diorama orientated.I put this down to a lot of them being current or ex railroad guys who are use to building scenic type dioramas.But there is not a lot of the storyline diorama there.

The ship guys are sort of into telling stories but their work seems to often miss the human element.How many fully-rigged ship models have I seen sailing through rough seas with no hands on deck? Curious.

The aircraft guys are mostly looking for nice display bases for their aircraft, which is great but it is not a diorama.There are a few masters of the simple diorama,Stephen Lawson,is a good example of this.An airplane, a figure or two arranged in a creative composition ,and instant magic.

I tend to do long complicated dioramas but I am no expert .I have only done four dioramas in 35 years,one ship and three aircraft.But that is just my nature.Maybe I just like big impressive things or it may be the challange of the long term build.

Please dont think that all dioramas have to be like this.Anything that works to tell a story is what is important ,even if you use diecasts.Your viewer often does not even know the difference anyway.But,if you connect with him or her in an emotional way they will never be able to get your image of their mind.When they think model airplane your diorama will more than likely come up,especially if they can relate to your storyline(whether subtle or obvious)

I know that this is what got me into dioramas,a few images that I just couldnt get out of my mind.I simply built on what I saw,changed a few things,added or subtracted this or that and what do you know,I discovered some of the magic.And what the hell it is so much more fun than just a nice aircraft on a base or a ship missing its crew or a scenic railroad layout that requires a moving train to bring it to life.

Cheers! John. :bandhead2:

Edited by JohnReid

> Planning A Diorama:

> This is the most important but often overlooked part of diorama making.Designing a diorama is really not that hard but before you start you will have to evaluate the practicality of your ideas.

> Where do ideas come from? It could be an image that you saw in nature,in a book or even at a model show.Good dioramists often find underdeveloped but great ideas at the novice tables.There is nothing wrong with building on someone elses idea as long as it is not a direct copy.

> What do you want to show or tell or display in your diorama?Maybe something unusual ,something beauitful,something interesting?

> With this in mind,how do I go about developing my idea?Is it practical?Will your viewer get it? What audience are you trying to appeal to? Is your diorama destined for a museum of specific interest or is it to appeal to as large an audience as possible?

> Will it contain figures?What will the figures be doing?Do you want to keep things simple? or complex?

> Knowing your own personality, are you good for the long haul or are you the type of person who likes to keep it short and to the point?

> How can you catch your viewers eye? and keep him interested?

>

> These are just some of the questions that we must ask ourselves before we reach for the glue.It is not always easy but it is fun and isnt that what this is all about? to be cont.......... Cheers! John.

>

> (A painting is never finished--it simply stops in interesting places.Paul Gardener.)

Edited by JohnReid

Today I started a thread on our various paths from modelmakers to dioramists.Here is my story, I hope you find it interesting .

It all began about 35 years ago when I passed a hobby store window and I saw a wooden model of HMS Victory.I had attempted a wooden model about 5 years earlier of the ship Bluenose,which I built and put aside and eventually threw out.But their was something about this encounter with Victory that turned me on.I immediately knew that I just had to make one of those.

The stores owner seemed to have some knowledge about ship models so I took his advice and built a Santa Maria and a Bounty before I finally started on my beloved Victory.

Well I was in for quite a surprise when I opened the kit up.The instructions were unreadable,the plans were a mess and I was extremely disappointed.After giving it some consideration I knew right there that the first thing that I needed was a good nautical dictionary.The kit was supposed to be 1/78 scale but there seemed to be various scales contained in the box.Right there I decided that I would remake everything that was necessary to 1/72 scale(very lucky decision as I will explain later).My whole background had been in aviation up until that point so I had to set out on trying to become a shipwright. to be cont.......

Cheers! John.

(Every child is an artist.The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.

Pablo Picasso)

--------------------

My goal in life is to be the kind of person that my dog already thinks I am.

So far I had no idea of the dioramist brewing in me.I was happy just building the model.I was aware of Shep"s work and I had his book but always thought that was beyond me.

Then a funny thing happened.I was reading a book about the Royal Navy and I came across something called the "Drumming Daybreak Ceremony".I had always thought that a model with all its guns run out and no activity on deck ,looked a little strange.There was something else that the Royal Navy always did while their ships were in harbour overnite, and vulnerable to enemy ships sneaking up under cover of darkness and attacking at first light.They ran out all their guns ready for action.When dawn broke the all clear signal was given and the ships routine continued.

Now this would make a great diorama! And solve the deserted ship look.

This all happened at just the right time before all the rigging got in the way.Problem was though, I had no experience with making dioramas and the numerous figures that would be involved.That is where my earlier decision to build in 1/72 scale really came in handy.

I picked up Shep's book again but this time I reall y got into it.I had remembered him saying that you could adapt plastic or resin figures

by preforming major surgery on them.I began searching for 1/72 figures but the closest I could come was a few British and French infanty solders.I modified these to become Royal Marines,Officers and men of the Royal Navy,painted them with acrylics and stationed them in action poses and viola ,a diorama was born. to be cont..........Cheers! John.

(Do not fear mistakes--there are none. Miles Davis)

This post has been edited by JohnReid on 31 Aug 2005, 08:40:48 AM

--------------------

Now this made for a somewhat strange looking diorama.Above the waterline things are as realistic looking as I could make them but below the waterline it is a combination of realism and total fantasy.The ship sits on a couple of carved cherrywood dolphins and the sea is left to your imagination.I dont know if this is a good thing or not but it sure is different.

If you would like to see the results of my labor and a short story on her building please go to:

http://www.hyperscale.com see Feature Articles,Armour/Maritme 2003-04 and scroll down to H.M.S. Victory.

or

http://www.modelingmadness.com see Kit Reviews,Ships.

Cheers! John.

This post has been edited by JohnReid on 31 Aug 2005, 09:00:57 AM

--------------------

HMS Victory,but does it work as a diorama?

I would say yes and no.It works as a scenic diorama as there is lots to see, but does it work as a storyline diorama?The overall storyline is obscure exept to those in the know ,so to speak.A naval history buff or seaman may know whats going on but what about the average viewer? probably not.There are sort of mini-dioramas going on, within the overall story to keep it interesting ,but the real story is hard to find.If you have to explain it ,then that is a sign of a weak diorama,in my opinion.So, you can see that I am not totally satisfied with this piece, as a storyline diorama.And I dont know if I would repeat the fantasy base idea.The artist in me likes it,the dioramist doesn't.

So overall I would say its a mixed bag,but you have to admit it sure is different!

Cheers! John.

My next step from modeler to dioramist was to more familiar territory,aviation.Most of my life has been spent around aircraft doing everything from sweeping hangar floors to flying instructor.

What caught my eye was a kit that featured a 1/16th model of an open structure WW1 german aircraft ,the Albatros DvA.I decided because 1/16th figues were available this would make a nice diorama, if I was to scratchbuild the hangar an furnishings.German hangars close to the front in those days were somewhat flimsy affairs, designed to be moved.The look of the exterior is well documented but for the interior I used my imagination and a youth mostly miss spend hanging around airports.

In general, I am happy with this my 1st effort in aircraft dioramas.It was mostly a learning process.The storyline is a little weak though,two pilots looking at an aircraft undergoing a re-build while a mechanic wipes down an engine.The appeal of this diorama is mostly in the lighting that sets a certain mood.

If you would like to see pics of this diorama and a short description of how I built it go to:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com click on Articles,The golden age,and scroll down to 1/16th Albatros.

Cheers! John.

:rolleyes:

Edited by JohnReid

Aircraft Diorama #2,The American Nieuport 28

It was with this diorama that I really began to feel more confident as a dioramist.It all came about in an instant when I came across a pointing figure by Tamiya.It was of a WW2 infantry guy but that could easily be changed with an x-acto.The important thing is that he was pointing,all the action would center around this fact ,to create my diorama.It is also my 1st diorama to contain a car and a sub-storyline.And I think it works! I was beginning to feel more confident.

This 2nd aircraft diorama may be seen at the same LSP website,just scroll down this time to 1/16th Nieuport diorama.

Cheers,John.

--------------------

:rolleyes:

Edited by JohnReid

My present diorama "Memories of Flight School" ,the JN4 "Jenny"

I am about 2/3rds of the way through this diorama now.I hope to have it finished by spring.It will contain 2 airplanes the JN4 D & the JN4 "Canuck",a car,2 motorcycles and a trailer.There will be a complete workshop and about 7-8 figures all in 1/16th scale.

I am just now in the final stages of completing the hangar doors and windows.The 2nd airplane I will build this coming Winter.If you would like to read an online,ongoing build article,please go to :

http://www.wwi-models.org go to Model Galleries,My name,click on Jenny barnstormer.

Well that 's my story as a dioramist so far.I have a car diorama also underway ,and I am researching a Wright Flyer in a windtunnel that I would like to do sometime in the future, if this old body holds out.I hope you enjoyed this trip down one mans path to becoming a dioramist.Cheers! John

My present diorama "Memories of Flight School" ,the JN4 "Jenny"

I am about 2/3rds of the way through this diorama now.I hope to have it finished by spring.It will contain 2 airplanes the JN4 D & the JN4 "Canuck",a car,2 motorcycles and a trailer.There will be a complete workshop and about 7-8 figures all in 1/16th scale.

I am just now in the final stages of completing the hangar doors and windows.The 2nd airplane I will build this coming Winter.If you would like to read an online,ongoing build article,please go to :

http://www.wwi-models.org go to Model Galleries,My name,click on Jenny barnstormer.

Well that 's my story as a dioramist so far.I have a car diorama also underway ,and I am researching a Wright Flyer in a windtunnel that I would like to do sometime in the future, if this old body holds out.I hope you enjoyed this trip down one mans path to becoming a dioramist.Cheers! John

double posted by mistake :rolleyes::worship::worship:

Edited by JohnReid

A major change in my Jenny diorama.

I have to build structures on each side of the hangars side walls to accomodate the doors.I think that it will look kind of odd soooo...... I have decided in a major shift in direction.I will be increasing the size of the diorama by at least 6 inches all around(maybe more)This will be my first attempt at an indoor/outdoor enviroment.

Well this means that I can create an auto/airplane diorama.I want to make a parking lot with 1/16th cars of the 1910-25 era.Here is my request ,do you guys know of any 1/16th scale cars available of this era, either kits or diecast. I have tracked down a couple of Ford 1913 Model T diecast delivery trucks by Gearbox.One is a Texaco truck and the other a NYC police van.These can be modified for my purposes.Can you guys think of any others?

Cheers! John

Edited by JohnReid

This whole hangar door assembly has given new life to the diorama.Somehow when I added the extensions on either side it made the whole piece more interesting.It also made it a lot larger looking.The challenge is to make the whole assembly removable so that the roof and walls can still be taken apart for ease of future maintenience.I used a couple of homemade clips situated in inconsipuous areas to accomplish this.I have had to build a shingled overhang along the length of the hangar doortrack to protect it from rain.(in real life of course)The hangar doors themselves are in 2 groups of 3, made from foamboard and glued together as 1 unit.I think that I will finish them with maple veneer to give some contrast to all the barnsiding.They will be painted green and will look better cared for than the building.I am not sure but I would think that due to the cost of paint most of the exterior would have been whitewashed and only certain things like doors and windows actually painted. to be cont.....

Cheers! John.

As some of you guys know,I have been running an online build of a diorama that I have been doing for the last year or so over on the aerodrome.com.In the interests of helping to get this diorama forum off the ground I will be running a copy of pertinent articles on ARC.My wife,the family computer expert ,just recently learned how to do this.If you would like to pick up the story of this build till now ,grab a favorite brew,put your feet up,as there are 56 pages to read over on http://www.theaerodrome.com Cheers! John. :wave:

Edited by JohnReid

Well with all these recent changes in direction of the Jenny diorama,I am again faced with this old familiar problem.Is this diorama getting out of hand?Is it just too big,with too many things going on?Am I reaching a point where there is just too much in this piece?Will the viewer find it just too confusing?Should I confine the diorama within the hangar walls?

I don't have to make a final decision on this for a while yet but it does bother me.I like the idea of adding an outdoor enviroment and I can see many possibilities in trying something new but...... Even now I am well beyond the KISS principal and would adding more just weaken the whole composition?

If I decide to do more,where will I stop?How will I make the transition from the diorama to the base?Will it all be just too damn square looking? I thought of doing a kind of fantasy transition using long S type lines along the outside perimeter of the diorama between what would be concrete or paving around the building and a walnut wood veneer base.And yet there is something nice about just looking in through the doors and windows into the interior with no outside distractions.I somehow think that it is more believable using the door or window as the transition point between realiity and the miniature world inside. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions on this from you guys. Thanks! Cheers! John.

You know the more I think about it ,the more I come to realize that there maybe a compromise solution.

I think that I will lose a lot of the magic by building a complicated outside enviroment .I was thinking ,like when I was a kid, with my nose pressed up against the department store window at Christmas time ,and watching that little minature world before me.Although the window was a barrier to that world,it also served as a window to another world and I was really not aware or distracted by, the outside surroundings.I think that the strength of my style of diorama,a sort of a five sided shadow box,would be lost somehow.As much as the artist in me would like to embellish the scene,the dioramist in me thinks that it would be a mistake.

Therefore ,I think that I will compromise and in order to breakup the boxiness of the whole thing ,I will build just a couple of simple structures to add some outside interest.The hangar door housings(which started this whole

digression)will remain as is, as it is a necessary part of the hangar itself.Where the garage door is, I will build a small structure to frame the door.At the rear of the hangar I will build just a simple lean to type structure, with a window and a door, to keep those cold GWN winds out.

I think that this will add just enough outside interest ,along with a few signs, that it may just work.

All of the above was decided while walking the dog today.More oxygen to the brain I guess.Cheers! John.

Please,I would still like your comments or opinions though.Thanks,John.

Oh! I forgot ,you can now deduct about 6 months from this project.

Guide my hand in your work today.JWRR My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Last edited by JohnReid : 11 September 2005 at 07:31 PM.

Edited by JohnReid

With the completion of the hangar door assembly in a day or two all the large components of this diorama will be built.So I am right on schedule with what I wanted to get done outside this summer in the GWN.This fall and coming winter I want to build the other doors and finish the windows,the 2nd JN4, and the rest of the furniture,workbenches etc..

I am looking forward to the day that I can actually install something permanently,knowing I wont be taking it out again to be worked on.Because I have decided to drop the outside enviroment idea,I am back to the problem of limited space and maintaining good viewer sight lines, through the various doors and windows and of course the large viewing hole in the roof.The real advantage here is the fact that the main subject,the aircraft, is a skeleton and does not block much of the view.The Mercedes showcar is a large item and I had thought of placing it in a structure to be built around the garage door.This would save me floor space but would cut down considerably on the view through the garage door.The airshow trailer sign is also quite large.

The 2nd aircraft will be wingless and the fuselage will be set upon blocks instead of the undercarriage.The wings will have to be stored in racks up against the backwall,along with the tail planes.Then there are the figures to consider.I have finished 5 figures but there is a possibility of as many as 6 or 7.Exactly where or how they are to be placed has not been decided yet, that is why I left the heads and bodies seperate until I know exactly how they will be interacting with each other.Why do I mention all this? Well,its in order to give you guys a sense of how fluid diorama composition can be right up until nearly the end of the project.I have a rough idea going in but nothing is written in stone.I enjoy the freedom of leaving my options open as long as possible.I dont even know what it will look like until its finished.That is the fun for me and it helps to keep my interest up until the end.

I spend a lot of time positioning and re-positioning things as I go along . It is one of the most important aspects of diorama making ,especially in a large, complicated diorama such as this.I want to have a central focus to my story but at this same time have a little sub-storyline going on, if I can fit it in without it being a obvious distraction.Sort of like the viewer ,after he has caught the main story saying ,"Oh now look at this!" to be cont.....

Cheers! John.

The world of reality has its limits;the world of imagination is boundless.

Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Guide my hand in your work today.JWRR My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Last edited by JohnReid : Today at 03:32 AM.

JohnReid is online now Edit/Delete Message

I can sense an exciting new trend in diorama making, that of photographic composition and digital art.In other words taking a 3D object and making it 2D.

Fred Shammas's work is a terrific example of what can be done with a staged setting using various models.He is a master of combining his models,a stage and the great outdoors into wonderful compositions.In fact in many ways I prefer the pictures to the real dioramas ,including my own.It is just as creative as any permanent diorama and in many ways even more challenging.(all you guys who claim lack of space as a deterrent to making dioramas,get your cameras out)With the convenience of digital cameras and instant gratification the possibilities are endless.Multiple pics can now be taken and instantly saved or rejected.Sort of like a director saying "take one " or "take two".If your not happy you can arrange or rearrange things as you like.Nothing is written in stone.This is a very exciting new era in diorama making.

Another area that I would love to get into is this whole idea of using your own 3D models in a digital art composition.Imagine taking your own hand built model and placing it in some historical context or future fantasy composition.Here again the possibilites are endless .For those of us who are frustrated producers,directors,set disigners,stage directors,authors or just the plain creative individuals amoung us, this is a wonderful time with so many tools available to us.

Everybody worries about the future of our hobby and the younger generation.I say that we have nothing to worry about if we are open to this new world of artistic endeavor.If we lead the way and show just how adaptable we are to the future.With the creative use of all these new tools available to us I only wish I was 30 years younger.

Cheers! John.

You know one of the biggest deterents out there to diorama making ,is the lack of figures and scale support equipment, available to the dioramist.I contribute to 5 aircraft,2 ship and 1 auto modelers site ,in their diorama forums, and this has always been an ongoing complaint in all of them and a big reason for not getting involved in this growing trend of diorama making amoung modelers .

I think that the model manufactures are really missing the boat on this one, especially when it comes to the popular aviation scales.Their excuse is probably, that there is not a big enough market.Maybe they are right, but I know from what I see the potential market is there, especially in 1/48 scale.

Do any of you guys know how to make them aware of this trend? Do their marketing guys monitor our websites for trends in the market? Do they care? I don't know but we modelers are their life blood.How can we make our needs known?Even generic figures that could be adapted would be very useful and would appeal to an even wider market.Is anybody listening???

Cheers! John.

I just found a Franklin Mint 1/16th scale model T Ford diecast (a little damaged) for sale and I am very tempted to add it to my Jenny diorama.It looks to be an early one from somewhere in the teens.The diorama ,as you know is of the mid to late 20s.I know that the Model T went well into the 30s before the new fangled Model A came out to replace it.I am debating whether it may look out of place in my diorama or how I can modernize it to the 20s.Of course it will get the full weathering treatment.

I plan to put it in a small structure that I plan to build over the garage door.Sort of half in and half out the door with a tire being changed(it is missing a tire anyway)If I use it ,I think that I will cut off the large roof to help maintain the view into the hangar through the garage door.

Presently I am finishing to weather the L/H side of the roof which I recently discovered that I had forgot to do.It is somewhat of a boring job ,that as you can see ,I am trying to avoid.Each nail requires a little dot of gesso ,then a little dot of paint to cover,then a little pastel for weathering.Then the checkerboard squares have to be shaded and weathered with the toothbrush flicking method When that is over most of the boring,repetitious jobs will be done and I can go on to the interesting stuff.

Cheers! John.

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time. Andre Gide.

Its too late to turn back now ,I just ordered the Model T.I like the idea of being able to tell the secondary story without it getting in the way of the main storyline.The tire changing will not be in direct view,you will have to discover it .I hope it works as the broken car was not cheap.Franklin mint doesnt seem to give their stuff away ,even the broken stuff.

Cheers! John.

Taking a break from the nails.Besides it gives me too much time to think of things like the following.I am now thinking about building 4 modular units to go around the hangar walls.The perimeter of the diorama will still be the building but I will add an office,the garage,the lean to wind break at the rear and a 7" ramp area in the front.Other than the modular units there will not be anything added to the outside.That way I can add more interest to the whole thing and get away from any boxiness.The viewer can then easily seperate what is diorama from the rest and the outside and it will not overpower the main subject ,which is the inside of the hangar.Problem solved.Add 6 months.Cheers! John.

Rather than heavily weathering such a nice diecast as the Franklin model T,I think that I will use it almost as is, with only some slight weathering.The idea is that it will be a nice shiny parade car that has brought the dignitaries to the airport, but is undergoing emergency tire repair.This fits into the storyline of the old Jenny in the hangar being virewed by the ex airmen who happen to find it being restored into a barnstormer.In fact it improves the storyline to a chance encounter made possible by the flat tire.Its funny how things evolve as you go along if you remain open to change.Cheers! John.