28-07-05

Why are Sky One showing those stupid trailers as if the Star Trek franchise has gone forever??

Enterprise is over, but there'll be a new show in a year or so, won't there?

Anybody hear any rumours?

Liam

28-07-05

Hey Rusty.

I wasn't that sure about Enterprise, but I did think it was a good idea. I think Bakula had the right ruggedness about him, but he wasn't allowed to be tough-enough and rough'n'tumble enough, y'know? Still too nice, too counsellors-in-space.

I think the show really only got going when Manny Coto ( of the excellent and sorely missed Oddessy 5) came on board and you could tell as the stories got grittier (Archer about to throw the bad guy out the airlock comes to mind).

But there wasn't enough of that. And I think it's main problem was that the studio itself lost faith in it and science-fiction in general. Let's not forget the directive that came down from the top that the budget had to be slashed on the FX side...which is basically suicide for a science-fiction show set in the future on a space -ship.

Networks today seems more into the likes of Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me and so on, or Stargate.

Jolene was never my favourite either, again because she wasn't allowed to act. All the Vulcan/Romulan/Andorian stuff should have come earlier too.

Also, I understand Enterprise was the "prototype" and all, but it was, I feel, far too long before we saw another warp 5 capable ship out there with them.

(Just give me a night with Sato..hubba-hubba)

Where to now? Back to the future, I guess. I remember there being talk of a movie or series based on Riker getting his own command called the Titan and they head off exploring or doing Federation stuff.

This could be made interesting by mixing in various crew form DS9, Next Gen and Voyager....like 7 of 9, Kira, Worf, Dax, The Doctor, Riker, Trip as his own great, great grandson, you get the idea.

Although I believe that Andromeda was originally meant to have been set in the Star Trek universe but the powers that be shied away fearing the "original" concept (the Federation has fallen etc etc) would scare people away.

Personally, I feel it would have been a blast......

Anyways, they'll be back...2 or 3 years....

Still, there's like in the old girl yet...as long as Manny Coto is there and Berman and Brannon are not.

Liam

I'm told that there are no plans to air another incarnation of the Star Trek franchise.

Not sure how to feel about that. I grew up with the show, it was always on the air somewhere, and when ST:TNG came along I supposed that it'd probably be around effectively forever.

On the other hand, it'll probably live on in syndication until I die. I'd rather have that than another show with the name Star Trek attached to it, bearing none of the originality or charm of TOS, TNG or DS9.

BJ

Networks today seems more into the likes of Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me and so on, or Stargate.

Dead Like me also got killed off for marketing reasons. I did enjoy the show and its dark and quirky sense of humor. Stargate SG-1 seems pretty interesting with the new additions (all veterans of the Sci-Fi genre).

Dead Like me also got killed off for marketing reasons. I did enjoy the show and its dark and quirky sense of humor. Stargate SG-1 seems pretty interesting with the new additions (all veterans of the Sci-Fi genre).

Stargate SG1 and Atlantis are good shows!

:cheers:

MikeJ

I've heard/seen talk that one idea for a future ST series would star George Takei as Captain of Excelsior. I've seen Takei mention on several ocassions that he would be open to such an idea. Obviously this would be in the vein/era of the TOS movies.

Aside from the Federation and assorted aliens, there really isn't too much that ties the various incarnations together, each one could be a seperate Sci-Fi series. Take all the plot lines/stories from Voyager, but exclude the STAR TREK connection and it would be little different. Therefore, another ST series would/should be able to stand (Or fall) on its own merits . . . or lack there of.

01-08-05

Hey MadMike:

Sorry, I should have made that clearer. I enjoy Stargate and SG/Atlantis. But they are very much based in the "now" reality...it could be happening as we speak, y'know? Beliveavble sci-fi, not the 300 hundred years into the future stuff.

The networks seem to want stuff based in the "now"...take a look at the new line-up of shows on the way...90 per cent are set now...all X-File / Second Wave stuff.

And I do wish we had Oddessy 5 still around....it was really starting to go places just as they cut it off at the knees!!

Oh well.... :rofl:

Liam

Hey MadMike:

Sorry, I should have made that clearer. I enjoy Stargate and SG/Atlantis. But they are very much based in the "now" reality...it could be happening as we speak, y'know? Beliveavble sci-fi, not the 300 hundred years into the future stuff.

retched Tau'ri!! ...er..er.... I mean yea thats true! :blink:, maby with the exeption of galactia.....btu then again, the seme to be similar tech wise too.

tis' a pity bout trek, i blame berman & braga. the storys became so cliched and pasturised, that the characters/plot etc became really bland and uninteresting.

Still, i can hold out hope! Maby JMS shoudl do the next serries :cheers:

regards

Raymond

01-08-05

Hey MadMike:

The networks seem to want stuff based in the "now"...take a look at the new line-up of shows on the way...90 per cent are set now...all X-File / Second Wave stuff.

And I do wish we had Oddessy 5 still around....it was really starting to go places just as they cut it off at the knees!!

Oh well.... :worship:

Liam

Liam

no worries mate, The "now" SF sells well. I love Babylon 5 and have all the DVD season sets. Wish they did some more in that series. Pity JMS has had so much ill luck getting a new series of the ground.

Andromeda had promise but degenerated till season 5 eps were actually painful to watch!

I agree with Raymond about ST, Braga and Berman single handedly destroyed Star Trek, so much so that Enterprise was doomed before it ever aired.

:worship:

MikeJ

Maby JMS shoudl do the next serries

Only if he can do better than he did with Crusade.

Harlan Ellison was billed as the Conceptual Consultant for B5. I suspect that he was actually doing a lot of the writing; note that HE is not listed in the credits for Crusade. Note how fast Crusade disappeared from the small screen.

BJ

You guys actually have time to watch TV? I spend maybe half an hour watching TV wile eating. If I kept watching TV, I would never get any models built, not to mention all the other hobbies and chores to attend to!

I loved all things trek until Roddenberry died. Braga and Berman ruined the whole franchise.

I tried to watch voyager and enterprise but I just got bored. I still love TOS, TNG, and parts of DS9, but the other series' didn't impress.

Sad to see it go, but I really believe it died a long time ago.

Hiya, some thoughts

DS9: i felt the dominion war had promise...but came overall lame to me, they had a chance to really take apart the sterile geeky trek universe and make things 'wrong' darker and interesting, coudl have fractured, adn broken up the federation even (leaving a great stage for spin off serries) but alas no.....

(one of my highlights of B5 was how earth decended into darkness, and erupted into civil war whle alligning with the shadows......)

Voyager: got bored avter the 6th? EP. i liked the one where the dinky lil fed ship poped up, i thought they were goign to open an interesting plot line with that....had serious potential to make something from it, alas no....... its goign to take more than sterile dialog and 7's boobs to keep me watching :lol:

Enterprise: i diddnt get past the opening credits :rofl:

Though, when they get it right, its great. I remember being blown away when first contact came out....the 'decent of picard' if u will, and some fun action...althought ive seen it a 1000 times, and it shows its age a lil, First contact is definaly up there in my 'highlights of trek'

TOS was great, is great, and forever will be great!!!!!! :worship:

Though im going to be honist: shows likeB5 & battlestar galactica (remake) are really settign the standard for what I want to see out of Sci-fi Characterisation and Writing.

I hope the next Serries Will be up to par with these shows, because Trek absolutly has the potential. I jsut fear that B&B have tainted the genre too much :(

I loved all things trek until Roddenberry died. Braga and Berman ruined the whole franchise.

Well, from what I've read, Roddenberry had little or nothing to do with Trek after the second season of TOS. He carted off his stuff to a trailer on a side lot at Paramount and was working on Police Story.

He was only modestly involved with TNG from a PR standpoint. But your point about Voyager, Deep Six 9 and Enterprise holds water with me. Seems the novelty kinda went piffle and there was lots of time travel for filler. Some eppies held my interest, but those that allowed actors to "expand" their characters sometimes were more inspired than they were actually interesting.

Still, a fresh new, technically accurate, thought-provoking series would be great, as long as they had hotties in the cast.

Spot on Rusty. During the second season, the Great Bird of the Galaxy had gotten pretty fed up the toils of making the series, butting heads with the studio and their "Ahh Gene, don't make the viewers think, just figure out a way to get Kirk into a fistfight" mentality and lack of support, and 16 hour days. Third season he was a non-entity on the set and was probably consulted once every couple of weeks or so about Trek. The series faultered badly by season three, although there were still some good episodes.

I think he was pretty much just a figurehead for TNG, brought in to make a more serious connection to TOS. It took me quite a while to get into TNG as the first season or two were pretty bad and I didn't take to the "Kinder, gentler Federation" approach. Once Picard got over his abhorance to using force and decided to pop off a few phaser shots, I enjoyed it much more. No matter the series, seven seasons is a pretty long run and storylines start getting repetitive and less original. About season three through five were probably its best efforts and there were some outstanding episodes over the entire run (CAUSE AND EFFECT being one of my favs).

Took me even longer to get into DS9, again once the action picked up but I wasn't able to view many episodes. I'm catching up thanks to Blockbuster's mail-order service.

On one of the movie DVDs, there are comments by George Takei expressing his willingness to take on STAR TREK again, that has my interest.

Good thin about TOS was the willingness of Star Fleet to make the hard calls and stouch it out with the "bad guys"

STTNG , Voy and to some extends DS9 sterilised the whole Trek universe and made the whole damn thing worse with endless technobabble and made up words...

"Captain, the warp plasma reverse inductor manifold is de-stabilising...."

"Employ a phase variance omni pulse technocrapion wave, that should reverse the de-stabilisation, then fire a type 1 subspace tetrion beam at the approaching Borg cube"

:rofl:

All that said and done, it is a good show to watch while busy in the hobbyroom....

:worship:

MikeJ

"......argh! its no gud captain! syndication drive is failing......we need to eject the cliche assembly!...."

"dont worry, we can rehash the story matrix and insert silicon membranes into the cast matrix, tbat will stabilise the ratings, then well get out of this trap"

"sir! signal comign in!@"

"........We are the berman and Braga, we will add ur inperfections to our own, your focus will adapt to serve us, creativity is futile......."

"sir! signal comign in!@"

"........We are the berman and Braga, we will add ur inperfections to our own, your focus will adapt to serve us, creativity is futile......."

:D

:lol:

Nice one Ray!

MikeJ

Coming late to the part as usual ..

Crusage , and its early demise was due almost exclusivly tothe heavy hand of the studio, attempting to change the format , add more "glamour", action and sex... their incesant medelling can be seen with the change in uniforms part way through the season.

I used to hang out over on the B5- Moderated news goup that JMS actually posts on from time to time, and his frustration with the studion during the aborted run of crusage was painful to watch...

As for Trek, agreed the 2 b's screwed the pooch big time, over the last 15 years draining the life and creativity out of the Trek universe, ironically the best thing they ever did was to bring in Manny Cotto to oversee the final series, and the leap in quality was plain to see, compare any of the 2 & 3 parters Cotto had a hand in , with the finale of Enterprise that the 2 B's wrote - Ugh ... night and day .....

There were a number of Trek senarios that floated about for years , that never were picked up, a Sulu commanded ship for one , a Star Trke Bootneck's type down and dirty special forces type show , showing the federation as a real military force , perhaps tied into the dominion war and the ever popular Starfleet Academy pitch, (Harry Potter with a warp core..... :thumbsup: )

Let the Trek universe rest for a couple of years , then exile the 2 B's to altair 5, and let either JMS or Cotto loose on the universe.....

"Captain, the warp plasma reverse inductor manifold is de-stabilising...."

"Employ a phase variance omni pulse technocrapion wave, that should reverse the de-stabilisation, then fire a type 1 subspace tetrion beam at the approaching Borg cube"

Something that always cracked me up was how the intrepid crew was always able to change the settings on their gear to suit a situation . . . "Captain, I think I can adjust our waveform induction feedback anti-matter stream modulation inverters so that the parallel quasi-plasmic core emitters will override the spacial influx dampening interference created by the Bragosian's kleptertron particle difuser!" . . . "Make it so!" It's like, if it's that darn easy to tweak the highly sophisticated ship's equipment, why the heck can't it do it the first place!?!?!?!? Makes you think that the designers of the Galaxy-Class Starship couldn't walk and chew Alderian gum at the same time!

Another point . . . why have manual overrides if they never worked?!?!?!?! Oh they did one time, in FIRST CONTACT. Thank goodness a way to manually eject the deflector dish was built into the ship!