Halifax Its bomber night

if you ever close the fuselage you'll need to install tiny fiberoptic cameras inside so we can continue to marvel at your masterful work !

your work makes my 1/72 Airfix Halifax (still unbuilt) look like the slightly retarded older brother. :o

:bandhead2::thumbsup: :blink:

Ralph

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Admiration- joined this forum purely to see your work - recomended by a friend! I intend following slowly in your footsteps with a 1:48 scale model - I have a fair bit on the Halifax - however you clearly have access to the interior throughout - can you please give me a clue (not too complicted) as top where I can look. Most grateful.

Admiration- joined this forum purely to see your work - recomended by a friend! I intend following slowly in your footsteps with a 1:48 scale model - I have a fair bit on the Halifax - however you clearly have access to the interior throughout - can you please give me a clue (not too complicted) as to where I can look. Most grateful.

Hi

Nearly all of my stuff sourced off the web. Thanks to many people including Cees and Turretboy. I just stick it up on a photo bucket account. Interested in anything you want to share. Should be more pics of the finnished interior of NA 337 soon. Anything from Yorks air museum Halifax verses NA337 go with 337.

Model pics here

http://photobucket.com/albums/y149/HalibagPhil/

Reference here

http://photobucket.com/albums/y149/Halibag...ference%20pics/

Couldn't resist a pic or two

Cheers all

Phil

Thank you ... lots there for me to consider .. your model is of course superb...but (I clearly have missd something) what scale is it please? I have a pic or two of the nose section (interior) of the one at the imperial war museum - not brilliant as it is a "walk thro" and of course space is limited - not something I truly realised until researching things - rather imagined loads of room - must have been very difficult!

Hi

Don't get me started on the FM Kit. I think its a piece of cr*p and a great dissappointment but plenty others seem to be ok with it and I am sure some great models will come from them after lots of work. Its a bit of a dilema as if you have the skills to finnish this kit to a high standard you will have scratchbuilt quite a bit of it and so could have scatched the lot. Take a look in the box and decide if its worth the £60 I think they are going for and then you makes your mind up. Remembering to add on the cost of a Paragon hercules engine set, Canopy/ glazings if they become available and a set of decals. Myself if starting again would go the vac route. Did consider doing some upgrades but would have ended up a full kit! Some other FM kits look really quite nice though and full marks to those who struggle through.

I must admit that there is a certain ammount of sour grapes at the kit coming out 3 years into my build but how many times do you think I am going to hear " That FM kit looks good" or "see you can make the FM kit look ok"

PS have a trawl through some of the older posts for others opinions

Arse, Feck, Drink, Girrrrls

Cheers

Phil

Now come on Mike - I know you are a bit daunted by the Stirling - and I have to say (awaiting the Hali offering from Gerald) I am wondering if I have done the right thing with my intentions with a Merlin engined Halifax - but this is modelling for you. I have not seen a good or even mildly complimentry review of the Fonderie kit - commercial or "private" and it very expensive for what it seems to be. Phils' masterpieces has however been an inspiration so I am going to imitate as best I can. You may find that you have bought a £60.00 vac form kit?

Edited by miduppergunner

Oh dear - sorry Mike - my observation was intended as sympathy - not rebuke - I did not know about the canopy which is rather more unforgivable than the wings ..perhaps? I suppose I regarded the kit (still awaited) as purely a base on which to work - but if some parts are fundementally useless - not simply requiring work then I shall be displeased to say the least. The last I heard from Gerald a week or so ago was he was searching for new premises or house or something and thus not as attentive as otherwise. He might even have to shut down for a while! Hope this is the reason - sure it is.

Once again my apologies...not a good start - particularly as it was you who thoughtfully directed me to Phils' work

Hi

I think the "sour grapes" part of my previous post is were it was coming from after looking at it again. I seem to become more like my avtar every day. I just wish I had his rakish good looks and grace. :) Another observation is how easy it is to go off on one. Not wound up just running off at the mouth, I believe the phrase is. :cheers:

Why not make some masters for the whole thing for a Dynevector style kit. There are people here with the skills and equipment to make it happen. Considering Whitley myself. ;)

I make canopy masters by building it up from platicard formers, filling with milliput, sanding to shape and then casting a resin. This is then polished down, finishing with a jewellers cloth. Totaly smooth the framing from decalstrip/foil goes on later.

The reason its taken the time it has is down to my bone idleness and thinking too much rather than doing. Hell they have restored the real thing from a very large pile of scrap to beautiful aircraft quicker than me. :)

Oh you posted while I was writing this Mike. Its ok these things take on a life of their own as they go on. I am looking forward to the tamiya Albermarle group build though. It just takes a little faith :D

Oh dear Lord it sounds like time for a group hug.

I have made myself say 200 Hail Mary's and will do 3 laps of the Island in only my lycra cycling shorts to make up for my sins. :D

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Halibag-Phil

Hi

you think that's scarey you should see me in my pole dancing outfit. I can make the nipple tassels go in different directions. Grrrrrr. :rofl: Us priests don't get paid much so it helps ends meet. Father Maguire says he has been practicing a trick with a table tennis ball but I am not so sure I want to see it :wave:

Jaguar is looking nice

Cheers

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Good to be back.

Thanks to the team for the many hours work involved.

Pictures of the completed radio opps area though a bit hard to see. When all together most of it will be invisable anyway.

I have a question about the colours in the nose. The navigators table is shown in the Canadian halifax pics as being green whilst every thing else is blacked out in the later colour scheme. Quite prepared to accept that this is right but why was this done when it negates to some extent the reason for blacking out the nose area. Have spayed mine black but think I will go with green as it adds a little colour to the black hole. In saying black of course I mean night a very very dark grey. The way that I paint I start with black and drybrush heavily with a grey. This is later picked out with a lighter grey and finally small scatches and chipping with aluminium + brown.

Three pics to follow

76.jpg

Cheers

Phil

Ok problem here on trying to post second pic its telling me I have only 34kb left of 100. They are two separate posts so why the limit??????

Sound of head being scratched

Cheers

Phil

My subsequent post have shown up in this post even though I left this post back to the front page of the forum. Very confused.

Hi

whats going on

Edited by Halibag-Phil

Hi

Ta very much.

I use Lead wire for tieing fly's, copper wire, solder, rolled miliput. The lead is the easiest to use and allong with the miliput ( Hardest to use) are what I use most.

Oh its not a kit. That would be far to sensible. Started of like this ,solid resin castings,2-3 years ago now

0791ca8c.jpg

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Halibag-Phil