Halifax Its bomber night

Were your ears burning recently? I was walking through the Halifax fuse at the Imperial War Museum in London last week and told my wife that this was the bomber that crazy guy on ARC was scratchbuilding. She looked at the cockpit and agreed that you MUST be crazy indeed. :blink: I think it reassures her that I'm only a low-level nutbag in the world of modelling. Maybe someday I'll be as daft as you- but that's going to take a lot of catching up. This looks better and better- cheers!

Guest RC-Nostalgic

Hi

I am just sitting here behind my lap top, I have no words for all the beautiful detailing.

Just one point: will you really close the fuselage and hide all that work?

No words, I said it ealier. Regards and " chapeau" Rob Coenen

• 2 months later...

Hi

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement.

Ian you say “put it in a museum.†I think that I will be too afraid to move it should it ever get finished :-)

First off a few pics that I forgot to post of it mocked up with the wings.

sm3.jpg

sm6.jpg

sm7.jpg

Now back to the wings

The wheel wells are done and painted but being black are hard to get good pics of. There are still a couple of braces and of course the u/c itself and the doors to do.

hhytyt.jpg

hyuii.jpg

ngg.jpg

Edited by Halibag-Phil

The wings have had the flap and aileron lines scored in with a scalpel blade to give the right shape groove. Fuel dumps have been added and the wing tip lights formed from a small chip from a block of Perspex that cost 50p and will last a lifetime.

qw.jpg

ujhh.jpg

nbbb.jpg

fhfhf.jpg

The plan is to foil and rivet the entire surface but the prospect of it fills me with dread. The flap linkages and shrouds have also been fitted. It took ages to work out what they looked like. Many hours was spent with photoshop trying to zoom in and brighten pictures of the underneath of a black aircraft. You modelers doing natural metal or light coloured subjects wouldn't understand :-) I made a tiny mould and cast the six required.

kloo.jpg

Next were the oil coolers. Inner and outer are different of course just to keep the workload up. From a master a vac forming was made and then the detailed faces added inside and any gaps sealed. With the mounting plate added to the bottom one is finished and the other three are well on the way.

iool.jpg

frtt.jpg

Well that's all for now folks. Work will continue on the various wing and engine items over the next few weeks/months/years :-)

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Halibag-Phil

Magnificent!

I just got to see a real Halifax for the first time a couple of weeks ago, at the RCAF Museum in Trenton, ON. It really is a massive aircraft, and the museum has done an incredible job turning a mangled wreck into a masterpeice of the restorer's art.

SN

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks.

Steve: The Canadian Halifax is stunning. Thanks to the kind Canadians who have posted great pics of it during its restoration.

Tonight's update is just a bunch of pics

Wing shots

gdgdgdebgddg.jpg

fghhhkil.jpg

Landing lights

drttryyhjj.jpg

dgdgdgddgd.jpg

Undercarriage doors

dghfhfhfjjj.jpg

gttuiyii.jpg

First foiled attempt

dgghdfhhfh.jpg

Cheers

Phil

• 10 months later...

Amazing detail work! B):worship:

With some pics, I had to keep reminding myself it was a model! :wub:

I shall be following this thread - Definitely one to watch! Well done, Sir!!

• 3 years later...