Tamiya primer spray cans

What's the difference between the spray cans:

Metal primer (for undercoating metal parts)

&

Surface primer for plastic & metal ?

(Yeah, please don't tell me that the last one is also for plastic) :blink:

Are they both the same for metal parts, cause i've used the first one for undercoating metal landing gear !

(2 days, and then i 've 3 wks summer vacation) :blink:

Tamiya makes acrylic and enamel paints. They're AS series appears to be laquer/cellulose. You could probably go to Tamiya.com and search the different paint lines for an answer. My best guess is the metal primer is probably a laquer while the surface primer is probably an enamel. If I could smell it I'd be able to tell you but most of the Tamiya line isn't available here.

hth

I'm just finishing up painting on my first kit I've used the Tamiya primer on. I paint mostly with Modelmaster Acrylics..... I pulled all the tape off the kit without a single area pulling up on me.. I used to have two or three good areas that I would have to go back over and touch up.

Wish I would have known sooner.

Nothing beats Tamiya primer.And now it comes in square jars,so I don't have to decan it from spray cans.Way to go Tamiya!!!!!! ;)

Could you please tell me the product number? I haven't found it in germany yet.

Can't speak for Tamiya's metal primer (never used it), but Tamiya's Surface Primer for Plastic & Metal is absolutely one of the best primers out there for plastic, but doesn't stick worth a darn to metal! So it's great for plastic but sucks on metal!

YMMV

-------Bob

• 3 years later...