Last Operational Mossie

I am putting together the old matchbox kit to produce, with the aid of aeroclub canopies and "bomb" bay, the PR34A Mossie, RG314.

I have read in various magazines that I need to include enlarged wingtips, enlarged tail surfaces, redesigned cockpit etc. Is this true and if so, how do I go about it?

Does anyone know whether the Aviation News Mossie plans cover the PR34A variant?

Thanks

James

The PR.34 certainly didn't have anything special in the way of wingtips or tail surfaces: what you may have to do to correct the Matchbox kit is another matter, but I'd start with replacement engine cowlings rather than anywhere else. Fortunately Paragon are back in business, so their alternatives are/will be available, though I think there are others to be had - Pavla?

Sorry I can't be more precise but I threw my Matchbox Mossies away soon after buying them. You would be better off with Airfix, Tamiya or even Hasegawa as a base for your conversions. (Hasegawa loses out because of its nose to belly errors, but this might be shrouded by the bulged bombbay - don't think so.)

Like agboak suggested, a far better basis for your PR34 would be the Tamiya PR/BIV kit. You will still need the bulged bombay and possibly a canopy depending on the bumps you need.

Pavla have a resin set of 2-stage Merlins fitted to the Tamiya. I tried to photograph a dry run fitting of one, but the image was horrid :wacko: so decided not to inflict it upon anyone. The finer details in the Pavla molding are a little fuzzy, but it does fit the Tamiya wing. Paragon has said a 1/72 engine for the Tamiya kit is coming, but I have no idea when. I shall get a Paragon set if/when they become available, but in the meantime can do a BIX using the Pavla set.