Simply, nope. Never stateside maybe in overseas wartime, situations and that would be up to base commanders's approval, and then only if it was appropriate. Sadly, yet another victim of political correctness

Oops... back it up there mates. Aircraft nose art is still in vogue to this day. However you won't find it to the degree of nudity as back in WWII. Today it's mostly patriotic, some fantasy stuff. I saw a neat photo of a B1-B where the ground crew duplicated the bomber's nose art on the service carts.

Anyways, check-out these air show photos...

Randy

http://edwards.airshowjournal.com/2003/

First,

Well, not in the fighter world, My unit still has the 'let's roll' sticker if that is considered nose (intake) art. The last time I saw regualr nose art on fighters other than wartime was in USAFE back in 88. The base commander got special permission from USAFE to apply but all designs had to be higher-headquarters approved. And that was before 'pc' was prevalent.

Actually, it is - at least for the USAF. B-1s & B-52s, and tankers almost always have nose-art, and it's very permanent. Fighters have had a lot of nose-art while they are deployed, but is quickly removed when coming home. Just take a look at some of the Twobobs F-15E & F-16 sheets of OIF & OEF jets. The artwork is pretty toned down from the old days, I don't think naked ladies are allowed, but there were a few girlies on some F-15Es from SJ.

Shawn

Nose art allowance all depends on the situtation and condition. I remember seeing a VF-32 bird that had the modex of 107 was and was signed on the nose by the some of the fine folks from STS 107 (The last mission of Columbia). After the accident, the corrosion folks boxed those signatures and put a bunch of NASA and Shuttle designs on the nose.

I have also seen on the side of the last 500 for VA-165 when they went on thier last cruise in 1997. They painted a green dragon raining death from above a cloud and called it "Puff the Magic Dragon" since that was the skippers favorite design.

Nose art is allowed however, by rules the design and approval has to go all the way up to the in ,the navy at least, to the Type Commander. So that would be sending design approval all the way up the chain to Commander Naval Air Forces. The hassle that it is involved with that usually leads to little designs back from the nose and usually along the fueslage or epenage of the aircraft were only the Commander of the Air Wing and the Base commander or Wing Commander has the approve. I think that the last time I saw the instructions from the navy it was something like 15 pages on what was considered acceptable nose art and what wasn't and it was written in typical bureacratiease.

I remember seeing a VF-32 bird that had the modex of 107 was and was signed on the nose by the some of the fine folks from STS 107 (The last mission of Columbia). After the accident, the corrosion folks boxed those signatures and put a bunch of NASA and Shuttle designs on the nose.

Not to take over the thread here, but is there decals for this particular Tomcat???

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

some may not cosider this nose art, but the 104th FW A-10s all have the state logo on the right side of the nose along with "Town/City of..."

Here

and their Patriot's jet with a bit different nose art

And it seems VT's F-16s now have intake art

here

and

here

and an F-14B from VF-32 in 2003

here

and a KC-135 (I think from Kansas?) in 2003

here

So, there is actually a lot of it around.

Edited by Ken Middleton

There was a spell where US bombers were carrying 'historic' art - copies of WW2 nose art.

In the RAF, art tends to be on deployment to an actual combat zone, and usually removed pretty quickly afterwards (except when they paint regular paint over ARTF then bake it, like Desert Storm Buccanners)

Sheesh!

Thank God the Marine Corps isn't as anal as the air force or navy on noseart.........

Gotta love this stuff:

:wave:

OOH-RAH! ;)

Matt :cheers:

Edited by Matt_S

I think the polices about nose art are ridiculous, at least in the USAF. I just got my copy of the Shock and Awe book and a lot of the fighter nose art in that book does not survive today. Not even mission marks seem to last long after jets return from the AOR. I think every jet should have nose art, just as they did in WWII.

That is all I'm gonna say before this turns into a rant.

Chappie

I think of nose art as allowing the pilot to paint whatever they want on the jet; that ain't happening. The quasi "nose art" that appears is by exception and officially sanctioned, and often short lived.

Regards,

Murph

Some things still survive in spite of the "policies".

Ken mentioned the 104th Hogs (among others).

Here's a couple of shots (sorry the first isn't great quality), of the 103rd's

A-10 "Black Lightning" before and after the 80th Anniversary markings were

removed from the engine nacelles.

The hog survives in it's present paint scheme as the "Wing King", the personal

aircraft of the 103rd's Wing Commander.

In talking with him regarding 621, he said every year, they have to put in a formal request for continuation of the color scheme.

And although he didn't outright say it, the implications was, that they will maintain

621 in it's present color scheme for some time to come.

Yet, you rarely see the aircraft at "local" events.

The first shot was taken on base sortly after roll-out, and the second shot was taken

at the CT Army Guard Air Wing Open House - but for some reason, it was not on display at the recent Space and Aviation Day/Open House at the base.

Mike

Edited by Mike Stephens
In talking with him regarding 621, he said every year, they have to put in a formal request for continuation of the color scheme.

That is exactly the kind of crap that I'm talking about!!

Chappie

Simply, nope. Never stateside..................

Several ANG units have noseart on their Vipers. Ohio (Springfield) & South Dakota jump immediately to mind.

Here's one of Springfield's I'd posted here on ARC about a year ago.

Jake

Jake,

Here's a couple of close shots of the VTANG Vipers.

Not as clear as I'd like, but then I didn't use the originals for

enlargement purposes.

A shot of 150

Another shot of 136 - as with Ken's post.

And 403

Didn't see any "nose art" as such, but certainly modest applications near the intake.

And of course that beautiful tail art!

Mike

Edited by Mike Stephens

Mike, if you're interested, I can send you close ups of the artwork on the Vermont jets. I shot walkarounds of several of them a year or so ago for a decal-maker.

Jake