NATO Shelters

Gents:

Back in '81 I started to build the shelter area diorama shown in the following pictures. I have yet to add all of the doors and detail the shelters. It's done on a 4 x 8 sheet of particle board. Beyond it is an apron with F-16's though I did about 3 years ago. I rather display my aircraft in this setting than on shelves.

Mark

scalephantomphixer:

Everything is in 1/72 scale. The open revetment is Verlinden and yes it's too small for an A-10. The shelters are scratch built using rolled sheet metal, balsa, corrugated paper and hardboard.

Mark

John:

I'll get right on it! Is tough to find time to model let alone do the diorama. Hopefully I'll wrap-it-up this fall. Yep, 1981, back when I was a young pup.

Great forum by the way. I'll post when I have my layout design complete for my WW II diorama.

Mark

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

ThunderGrunt:

Found a pic in one of the military aircraft magazines. If you search thru pics posted by JMEL in the forums here you'll find several styles of sunshades. The one's I built were in a mideastern country. I used evergreen plastic tubes, shapes, bars, rods and flat stock. Just pick a picture and go with it. I have found so many different styles that anything goes. When I have time I'll do a handy-dandy "rules of thumb" for building sunshades based on real world structural design.

Jeff Stoermer:

Basement to myself. As a youngster I had a train board that evolved into a large aircraft diorama. Hope to have completed other hangers etc. this winter.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I forgot about this post

Mark

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh my goodness, you did it earlier than me. I have been planning to make such large scale airbase and my desire is shoot for the 1/48 ascale. I have been seeking many ground equipment, crews, but I am lacking the shelters for the 1/48 jets. Unfortunately, I do not have such large space to complete my dream. You are luckier than me and most of us. keep on and if you want any asisstance, contact me at dbang1988@yahoo.com. I am willing to help anyone have the same dream as me. In fact, I am only 17 years old. I still need a lot of advice from you and other jet fans. Thank you and I am glad to meet you.

Bang Nhan