Aircraft Types and Color Questions

Hi,

Here is a list of aircraft which took part in the Battle of Britain and qualify for this Group Build.

Allies

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.II (Selected Sq's only)

Hawker Hurricane Mk.I

Hawker Sea Hurricane

Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.I

Supermarine Stranrear Mk.I

Supermarine Walrus

Avro Anson Mk.I

Gloster Gladiator Mk.II

Bristol Beaufort

Bristol Blenheim

Miles Magister

Vickers Wellington

Handley-Page Hampden

Armstrong-Whitworth Whitley

Axis

Messerschmitt BF-109 E1

Messerschmitt BF-109 E3

Messerschmitt BF-109 E4

Messerschmitt BF-110 C

Heinkel He-59

Heinkel He-111

Heinkel He-113

Heinkel He-115

Dornier Do-17

Dornier Do-18

Dornier Do-24

Dornier Do-215

Focke Wulf FW-200

Junkers Ju-87

Junkers Ju-88

Arado Ar-196

Fiat G-50

Fiat Cr-42

Fiat Br-20

North American NA-57

My knowledge of this battle is slim and if you think of any more types or have questions regarding what you propose entering please post here :-

Cheers

Doc

Edited by Dr Fester

Hi!

First off, let me say that I think you all have done a wonderful job bringing things to this point and I'm really looking forward to participating in this.

Neither of the two planes I'm planning to build are on your list; the Fiat BR.20 bomber which operated out of Belgium and made a number of... ehem... "less than fully successful"... :rolleyes: strikes and the Miles Magister which not only served as a trainer but also as a liason aircraft.

The Fiat defintely belongs since it was an operational combat aircraft participating in the battle during the time period specified, but perhaps the Maggie is too far afield?

Before I get too involved in this, could I have a ruling on the Maggie? I did privately contact one of the sponsors of the build who thought it was "legit" but perhaps not?

No offense would be taken by me if the Maggie doesn't make the cut, but if it doesn't then there is a whole realm of similar aircraft that would have to be excluded as well and it would be best to get that nailed down quickly.

Again, I'm not upset, just want to make sure I'm on solid ground befor proceding.

Thanks!

:blink:

Hey Mike, the Br 20 is ok...thats what the Italians few for the bomber missions...the Maggie we can find out...thats one of the reasons we did this section of the forum.....so we could ask others about support aircraft

Hey Mike, the Br 20 is ok...thats what the Italians few for the bomber missions...the Maggie we can find out...thats one of the reasons we did this section of the forum.....so we could ask others about support aircraft

Thanks, Don;

That's why I'm raising the question now since it has broader impact than just the one specific aircraft. Would a BF-108 or BU.138 used as liason aircraft in occupied Europe be considered a participant? Or Avro Ansons or Airspeed Envoys on the British side?

I have absolutely no problem if the sponsor team decided to restrict participation to actual combat type aircraft or specific examples of other types that through circumstance wound up in combat, just thought we should nail this jello to the tree :cop:

I think we settled on all support aircraft that flew in the time frame...since training pilots for the RAF was crucial it seems right for those to be included...same with the Germans...and it gives us a wider berth for guys who might want to build something other than a 109 or Spitfire :cop:...

I see the Supermarine Stranraer is mentioned, presumably in the ASR role. I was planning on building a Supermarine Walrus ASR as they did pull a lot of pilots out of the drink. FAA 808 also used the Fairey Fulmar as a fighter during the period.

Ruling on these aircraft please.

My thoughts on the 'coms' aircraft.

Airspeed, Avro, Miles, Percival etal aircraft that were used in great numbers moving flying crew around the country, returning delivery pilots to factory assembly areas should be permitted to 'join' the build. Lysander too.

G

The Miles Magister was used by Heinz Schnabel in his attempt to escape the British. He and Harry Wappler - a He111 pilot from KG 27 - managed to get into a RAF base with Magisters and Tiger Moths, and actually managed to take-off in one of the Magisters, but lack of fuel forced them to land. This, however, was on 23 November 1941, although Schnabel had been shot down on 5 September 1940 (i.e. during the BoB).

Regards,

My thoughts on the 'coms' aircraft.

Airspeed, Avro, Miles, Percival etal aircraft that were used in great numbers moving flying crew around the country, returning delivery pilots to factory assembly areas should be permitted to 'join' the build. Lysander too.

Not forgetting the lovely de Havilland aircraft that would have been used for the same purposes. I quite fancy doing yet another Dragon Rapide/Domnie!

Cheers,

Mark.

ps what about the Westland Whirlwind, Bristol Beaufighter Mk If, A.W. Whitley, Vickers Wellington Mk Ic, H.P. Hampden, Fairey Battle, Blackburn Botha, Short Sunderland, Saro Lerwick, H.P. Harrow/Sparrow and Lockheed Hudson? All of these types were operated by the RAF during the allotted time-frame. Not that I'd be doing a Lerwick or Botha for some time (I don't even have any!)

Edited by lasermonkey
Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't the Luftwaffe use the Ju-88A-1 but the only 1/48 Ju88 is the A-4? Any conversions available?

Yep you are correct. The JU-88 A-1 was the type used in the BoB and I don't believe that the A-4 version came out until 1941. So as is, the available 1/48 kits out there would need to be converted/backdated to A-1 standards from the boxed A-4 (although there were some different sub-types to the A-1 that were used, but how they match up with the A-4 version I have no clue...sorry).

There is this coversion set out there:

http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/productpag...ruction/CV48019

I thought about it for this GB, but then decided on the Monogram HE-111. I am not sure how hard the conversion would be to do it yourself :cheers: . The wings need to be shortened, the canopy needs to have the A-4 bulges removed from the back area and new clear panels formed, the engine nacelles did not have the fairings on the lower part of the cowl (I also think the exhausts were different in some way?), the tail was shorter I think, and the fuselage "gondola" was shaped differently. Well I suppose that is quite a bit of hacking :P .

Good luck with the project if you decide to go with it :banana: .

HTH

Regards,

Don :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't the Luftwaffe use the Ju-88A-1 but the only 1/48 Ju88 is the A-4?

Hi there. I did some fast reading and it seems that there were some JU-88 A-5's used in the BoB. Now there would still be some conversions needed to the A-4 kit, but not as many. On the plus side, the A-5 had the same canopy as the A-4, and it had the same wing length :P . But (there always has to be that "but" huh :P ), the engines on the A-5 were the same as the A-1 (so the lower cowl bulge has to be removed), and the tail/rudder has to be converted to A-1 standards. I am not sure about the "gondola" :unsure: . So an A-5 could be made easier then an A-1. As far as BoB markings go...sorry but I have no clue :( . I am sure a quick search on the internet or flip through a good book on the BoB, or JU-88 would yield some positive results.

Again, I hope this helps and sorry for the two posts.

Regards,

Don :)

Are Wellingtons, Hampdens or Whitleys allowed?

Pete

Hey Pete,

I just asked Doc, we're taking the stand that if it flew over the Channel from June to December 1940 its good...the object is to get guys building models...go for it :worship:

Are Wellingtons, Hampdens or Whitleys allowed?

Pete

Hey Pete,

I just asked Doc, we're taking the stand that if it flew over the Channel from June to December 1940 its good...the object is to get guys building models...go for it :worship:

And as soon as I can remember who made those I'll add them to the list...unless Doc beats me too it...I'm having a brain fart on them right now!! :worship:

Hurricane Mk II'a (8 wing MG's) started coming into service toward the end of Sept 1940, the 12 gun Mk II'bs right at the end of our time frame...Mk II'c not untill 1941....

http://www.chuckhawks.com/hawker_hurricane.htm

http://www.battleofbritain.net/0010.html

Edited by crazydon

I have a Fujimi Bf110D on the way and was wondering if that would qualify. I know most of the 110s were C models, but I've read some unclear references that seem to indicate that D models were used towards the end of the BoB. If the D isn't ok, what changes are needed to backdate it to a C model?

I have a Fujimi Bf110D on the way and was wondering if that would qualify. I know most of the 110s were C models, but I've read some unclear references that seem to indicate that D models were used towards the end of the BoB. If the D isn't ok, what changes are needed to backdate it to a C model?

If thats the 1/48th scale kit I think the parts are there for both the C and the D...don't have one handy but thats how I remember Fujimi packing the kit...