1/48 Korean War F4u-4 from Hasegawa...

I thought I had scored a nice deal when I bought the 1/48 F4u4 Korena war 1951 corsair for 20 bucks Canadian. Til I saw the raised panel lines! This is just an old reboxing isn't it? I'm p/o'd :rofl: . It has the newer type artwork on the box. Are all of their Corsairs this way? What about Tamiya corsairs?

The -4 is an older kit, originally a Mania kit IIRC. The only other 1/48 -4 Corsair out there is the Academy kit, which does have recessed panel lines but that's not a good reason to buy the kit as Academy hosed the fuselage contours. The Hasegawa is about dead-on in shape, it just has raised panel lines. But if you want a halfway accurate -4, that's the price you gotta pay.

Tamiya's Corsairs have recessed panel lines, but they release the -1, -2, -1A and -1D. WWII Corsairs. Hasegawa also has a -5N, -7 and AU-1, all with recessed panel lines, the -5N and AU-1 are appropriate for Korea if that's the era you are interested in.

If youre not too far along you might be able to swap somebody for the HVARS and

zero length rocket stubs from the Tamiya F4U-1D/Moto Tug kit.

Seems in photos, most Korean era F4U-4's had the rocket stubs weather or

not the rockets were loaded. Rockets make the Corsair look "extra menacing"

If you're only interested in the stubs I think you can find those in Tamiya's

-1A or -1D kit with no tractor. Regardless, have fun with your bent wing

bird! :stooges:

Thanks for your input guys. At least the kit fits real good together.

Indeed it does. I enjoyed building mine, despite the raised panel lines. By the time it has a coat or two of GSB they make little difference - but then they don't particularly bother me anyway.

I used the HVARs and mountings from a Hasegawa P-51, only real issue is working out exactly where they go.

Look forward to seeing some pix of yours finished, enjoy the rest of it.

The -4 is an older kit, originally a Mania kit IIRC. The only other 1/48 -4 Corsair out there is the Academy kit, which does have recessed panel lines but that's not a good reason to buy the kit as Academy hosed the fuselage contours. The Hasegawa is about dead-on in shape, it just has raised panel lines. But if you want a halfway accurate -4, that's the price you gotta pay.

Tamiya's Corsairs have recessed panel lines, but they release the -1, -2, -1A and -1D. WWII Corsairs. Hasegawa also has a -5N, -7 and AU-1, all with recessed panel lines, the -5N and AU-1 are appropriate for Korea if that's the era you are interested in.

I scribed my Hasegawa -4 fuselage and used the wing and horizontal stabs from the Academy kit. With a bit of work the wing does work. But it isn't a drop dead fit.

HI, Kind of halfway working on this kit right now also. One thing that needs changing, is the gear case on the front of the engine. The proper gear case can be found in the Monogram Pro Mod P-47N, and in the AMT / Ertl F-7-F Tigercat. The F-7-F part fits the Hasegawa cylinder banks quite well., with little edjustment.`Attached pic shows my -4 engine. wiring is stretched sprue. brgds, Hal

The F4U-4 is the only one of the 1/48 Corsairs that have not been done or retooled to modern standards. Tamiya did the F4U-1, F4U-1A, and F4U-1D kits, all recessed panel line kits. Similarly, Hasegawa tooled the F4U-5/5N, AU-1, and F4U-7 kits, again all recessed panel lines.

The F4U-4 seems odd man out. There is only the old raised panel line Hasegawa kit and the Minicraft copy, which was rescribed with recessed panel lines, but has some shape problems on the fuselage, from what I understand.

Another option is the CMK F4U-4 conversion for the Tamiya Corsair.

That engine's insane Hal! Wish mine was as sweet as that... I'll try and post pics of mine - got to figure out how to do so first.

Buyer beware: The True details F4u-4cockpit will fit after much reshaping! On the cover of the package, it says that it fits Hasegawa, but on the inside, it says it fits minicraft and has to be "modified" for Hase. No kidding! I had to slice quite a bit to get it to fit because the minicraft fuselage is quite a bit bigger than the hase.