Like many shows it took a couple of seasons to find it's feet.I think it started to get really good from the beginning of season 3 onwards.I didn't care for Deep Space Nine when it started but I ended up enjoying it more than TNG but again it only really got going from season 3 when The Dominion threat appeared.

Stephen

Yep, TNG was definitely crude at the start. The characters still had to be sorted out, and half of the sets were not created yet. The first shuttle interior seen during the 1st season looked like a quickly-built wall propped up behind the seated actor.

Good thing the show had a large, nostalgia-driven fan base to begin with!

I tend to agree with you about Encounter At Farpoint, it wasn't their best show, not by a long shot. The writing was amatuerish, the acting wooden (except for John DeLancie, IMHO), the special effects subpar, I recall being very disappointed when it first aired.

What it did do correctly, though-

Introduced all the major charactors, with a bit of backstory on most.

Gave you a tour of the ship.

Explained the mission (exploratory vs. military).

Introduced Q, my personal favorite ST charactor. ;)

And last but not least, got them started on the right foot by violating the old Prime Directive (non-interferance with cultures)! :lol:

And you are 100% correct-over time, it turned into a very fine series, in my opinion the best ST series of all (sorry, TOS fans, that's a close second IMO). Episodes like Yesterday's Enterprise, Best Of Both Worlds, Family, The Measure Of A Man and All Good Things... stand out as not only good ST episodes, but as fine examples of what can be done with sci-fi on television.

Other opinions are strongly encouraged. :cheers: Debate is healthy.

Felinoid

I believe the main reason why TNG did manage to survive until it got better had to do with it being a syndicated show. If it was network, it would have been quite different initially and probably would have gotten the axe anyway after 6 or 12 episodes, regardless of the fan base. But, it was given the chance to grow and get better. IMHO though, TNG was starting to show some signs of getting good in the late first season with "Conspiracy," "Datalore," "The Battle," and "Heart of Glory". In Season two, things were getting even better yet as Q's character really got a backbone in "Q Who" which also introduced the Borg and the other characters generally improved as well. By season three, no wonder it really hit its stride.

I can't really say for sure which Trek was the best as each Trek series had its good and bad points. I do think though that Trek as we know it really got fleshed out quite a bit with TNG and DS9 since TOS seemed much too brief. Voyager and Enterprise just don't quite fit into the Trek mold although they did have their moments.

Do'n get me wrong, I love Star Trek (read - Original series fan here) but all the incessant technobabble ruined the franchise for me.

I still enjoy Voyager and am planning to start watching NG again.

:cheers:

MikeJ

EFP was bad; as noted things got better and by the time they knew what they were doing they turned out some ripping good stuff.

Again as mentioned, some of the best science-fiction TV has turned out in the last twenty years.

BJ

and his college undergraduate cynicism toward humans always made me laugh.

Oh, sure, go ahead and spread some more teen/post-teen stereotypes would you? :thumbsup::cheers: ;) :D :worship:

Yo, skater-boy, dude...

Well, sorry if I sent the wrong message...I meant to say..."yuppie, moron-like, psuedo-adult attitude"

Izzat any better?

LOL

:P

Much better :lol:

10-09-05

Awwwwww, Voyager had some pretty decent eps as well. Not being able to rememeber all the episode names, "The Year in Hell" was terrific, the Borg Queen triology worked well, and there was that remarkable episode where they got trapped in orbit around a planet on which time moved so much faster than on Voyager.

I hated the Kazon, but liked the race with the Phage disease. 7 of Nine was cute and I loved the episode where they found the Old Earth Astronaut and 7 read through his mission logs.

There were others, ( the one with the message getting through the wormhole only for it to be recieved by a Romulan ship in the past was pretty imaginative too.)

It weren't all bad.

(but I really liked Avery Brooks in DS9). He had attitude!!

Liam

11-09-05

Exactly, MadMike!!

Given that the Borg are meant ot be a hive culture, and every hive has a Queen bee, it is reasonable to assume that each Borg ship has a "queen" aboard that may or may not be controlled or linked by a Mama-Queen elsewhere within borg space.

That's how I see it anyways.

I miss the show, but it needs a rest for a bit. The Captain Sulu idea needs to be put away in a drawer somewhere but I like the idea of Captain Riker...older, fatter and in pocession of a nice new, big ship to go! Mix the crew up a bit, twist things around a wee bit ( the Romulans are now somewhat friendly after the last movie..so lets see what the Romulan Empire looks like, then???

Anyways, looking forward to the new run of Stargate, or as someone put it, the new season of Farscape. Mind you, Claudia Black looks yummy in that figure-hugging balck number, yes??

Liam

Claudia Black is in Stargate SG-1 (this season) for a few episodes. As soon as Amanda Tapping was back from maternity leave, Lt. Col. Carter "rejoined" Stargate Command. Lots of Sci-Fi veterans are to be seen on Sci-Fi Channel's series': X-files' smoking man plays a bad guy in SG-1, Lexa Doig is the new Dr. in SG-1, Mitch Pileggi is in Stragate Atlantis, Lucy Lawless seems likely to become a regular in Battlestar Galactica, etc.

Claudia Black is in Stargate SG-1 (this season) for a few episodes. As soon as Amanda Tapping was back from maternity leave, Lt. Col. Carter "rejoined" Stargate Command. Lots of Sci-Fi veterans are to be seen on Sci-Fi Channel's series': X-files' smoking man plays a bad guy in SG-1, Lexa Doig is the new Dr. in SG-1, Mitch Pileggi is in Stragate Atlantis, Lucy Lawless seems likely to become a regular in Battlestar Galactica, etc.

Sweet, all the more reason to watch now!

Though I kinda wish they put Lexa Doig in BSG!