Bf-109 G-14 with standard canopy /markings

Hi Stef, the Erla-Haube was standard on the G-14 so finding examples without it will be difficult.

Mike

a

b

e

n

...good luck.

Jep i know,

but i think the Italians had some.

In fact i was looking for some ref about the Sky models decalsn° 32045

I think there is one G-14 on that sheet who has the standard framed canopy instead of the erla haube. I only have a pic of the sheet, not of ac on that decal sheet so i one could help me out, would be very welcome.

TIA

Stef H

Oh, and there's this well known one, which even has the large tyre bulges on the wings!

Again I believe current thinking veers towards it being a G-6, and that it was from a training unit with a yellow tail band, and a possibly oversprayed RVD band.

Sorry, can't find the original photo.

Nick

Was it this one? This is from the recent ANR Camouflage and Markings book by D'Amico and Valentini, and is in fact a G-6 with a tall tail. There are also a couple of other similar a/c profiled, but I can't find my Sky decal sheet!

Nick

Hello Nick

No it isnt that one. I think the one i'm talking about is on page 3 of the decal leaflet (below right)

i only have a svery small pic of the decal set + instructions. I can read its a G-14 but its not clear enough to see of wich stormo gruppo it belongs to.

Greets Stef H

Stef, the good news is that I've found my Sky sheet and now know what you're talking about. The bad news is that Sky don't know what they're talking about!

The a/c at the bottom of page 3 with the wonky chevron (stbd. side only), was a G-14 flown by Magg. Carlo Miani of II G.C., but it was fitted with an Erla Haube canopy.

As you know, G-14s with old style canopies are rarer than rocking horse poo, but there are several tall-tailed G-6s on the Sky sheet: "+>" on page 6, (chevron should be in blue -Azzurro 11- or possibly RLM 25, and has scribble camo on the stbd. wing); page 7: Black 12 and Yellow 10 (which needs the Gigi Tre Osei emblem on the nose.) The markings of the G-10 Black 7, on page 3, were also carried on a G-6/U-4 used by the same pilot , Capt. Ugo Drago. This a/c had the flying geese emblem, and also a yellow undercowl and wingtips.

I've got photos and profiles of all these machines, and it's not a particularly long or arduous trip from G-6 to G-14, so if you need any further details, contact me off-board.

Nick

Edited by bilkeau
Stef, the good news is that I've found my Sky sheet and now know what you're talking about. The bad news is that Sky don't know what they're talking about!

The a/c at the bottom of page 3 with the wonky chevron (stbd. side only), was a G-14 flown by Magg. Carlo Miani of II G.C., but it was fitted with an Erla Haube canopy.

You say its was fittrd with the erla haube.. So the drawing on the instructions is wrong.

so it has to be an erla haube on the drawings , not the standard framed. :monkeydance:

Btw can you tell me if i can make a late G6 with the tall tail out of the Hasegawa 1/32 G-14 kit. I heard its possible ...

Stef H

Easiest conversion in the world mate:

1) Build kit

2)Decide on which subject you wish to model, and complete

3)Lean back with a justifiable smile of satisfaction playing about your lips, and award yourself a cold one

4)Tell anyone who's interested it's a G-6 with a tall tail

I'm being glib of course, but the truth is it's impossible to tell late G6s from G-14s without the werknummer. There are certain features which are exclusive to each sub-type, but which...errr... appear on both of them! Detail differences include rudder design, length of tailwheel, installation of MW50, gun troughs and aerial placement."The modeller is strongly recommended to study his references"!

To illustrate the confusion, I've found that Yellow 20 article. Go here:http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/index1024.htm ,click on "articles", and read "JG7 Bf109?" And this guy's an expert!

Nick :cheers:

Edited by bilkeau