what's this?

Michael Moore's lunchbox? :)

It's Dick Cheney pacemaker.... ;)

Seriously speaking, that item raised some debate on few other forums as well... Two possibilities had been brought up

1. Firefighting bomb

2. Anti-personnel cluster munition

Z.S.

Ok, ok, if anyone is still interested in what it really is, I got two separate confirmations that its an experimental firefighting device ASP-500. 5kg of HE and 240l of water create fine water mist that combined with shockwave can extinguish fires. Russian TV even aired demonstrations.

More here, in Russian though... if somebody's desperate to read - let me know

pojar1.gif

pojar2.gif

pojar3.gif

pojar4.gif

Z.S.

Edited by Zmey Smirnoff

Zmey, thanks for posting that link. Very interesting article, but it needs to be taken in context. The assertion that the assending convection column above the fire screens the water and affects the accuracy may be true if the drop is from a significant height. However, aerial attack methods on wildfires (at least here in Canada), are usually by creating a fireline with retardant in front of the head of the fire, or with a mixture of water and fire foam to increase the penetration and effectiveness for lower intensity fires. I cannot see how this small water bomb would be effective in suppressing a wildfire in a forested stand, and if used against a fire in an open area (e.g. a grass fire) would probably only succeed in increasing the spread of the fire.

Delivering water 50 gallons at a time with bombs from military airplanes, compared with the thousands that an airtanker will hold seems cost prohibitive also, not to mention somewhat dangerous.

Keith

Edited by Backfire
Cynically, one could argue that it is an effective means of delivering liquid agents OTHER than water...

Hmmm... that'd be one hell of a way to celebrate winning a Bowl Game. Coach probably won't care too much for it but the fans will love it!

Cynically, one could argue that it is an effective means of delivering liquid agents OTHER than water...

dont worry, Russia has far more efficiant delivery systems for its chemical arsnel :wave: :lol:

Not sure I'd like to be on one of the ground fire crews working in the area where they let that thing fly. (remember that one of Murphy's Rules Of Combat states, "Close air support is accurate to plus or minus one klick")

There are 5 different "weapons" in that picture. The front one with the radar dish looking thingie on the nose could be a guidance pod of some kind or a guided weapon in itself. The other 4 look somewhat more like bombs and could be variations of one weapon. :thumbsup:

Darwin