Are the Decals for F-14A VF-1 1975?????

Hello Simon,

Do you have the Hasegawa kit with reference number "P20"? That one is called Wolfpack on the box. It obviously has VF-1 decals for a grey over white early tomcat. I am not 100% sure these are for 1975, but they can not be very different. Maybe only the names would be different.

Even if someone weres able to tell us that there were other names on the canopy rails for the 1975 cruise, I would advise you get P20. In that kit, you get the early Tomcat tails without the external stiffeners. And instructions to build an early Tomcat.

Cheers, Stefan.

Hello Simon,

Do you have the Hasegawa kit with reference number "P20"? That one is called Wolfpack on the box. It obviously has VF-1 decals for a grey over white early tomcat. I am not 100% sure these are for 1975, but they can not be very different. Maybe only the names would be different.

Even if someone weres able to tell us that there were other names on the canopy rails for the 1975 cruise, I would advise you get P20. In that kit, you get the early Tomcat tails without the external stiffeners. And instructions to build an early Tomcat.

Cheers, Stefan.

I have the PT19 kit as it was at the time the only kit i could get.

Simon

Microscale 48-56 has morkings for VF-1. I think I saw a sheet on ebay recently. I don't know of anyone else who produces them.

After studying the markings that come with the Hasegawa VF-1 "P-20" I would say the Hasegawa decals are more accurate than the Micro sheet, IMO.

JC

CAM Decals has markings for VF-1 aboard the USS Enterprise. Sheet number is 48029. I found it on Hannants. There is also a sheet for VF-2 circa 1974. If I'm not mistaken VF-2 was aboard Big E during Frequent Wind.

Chappie

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Simon,

This may not be all good news to you.

If you really want to make an accurate model of a "Frequent Wind" F-14, you should really get P20.

It has parts to make an early Tomcat. Some things I would not worry about personally (like the early instrument panels), but items like the early gun gas vents and the early boat tail are what I would want for a "Frequent Wind" Tomcat.

The Hasegawa decal sheet is quite nice (I think): you even get little wolfhead insignia for the pilots hemets.

There is a webpage where you can find which parts are in the Hasegawa kits.

www.modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48d.htm

For a "Frequent Wind" F-14, I would not use the beautiful Hasegawa droptanks. I guess they are the best Tomcat droptanks in any 1/48 kit, but I suspect that in 1975 an earlier F-14 droptank (with fins) was still in use. I am not 100% sure about that, so comments from real Tomcat experts would be welcome.

From looking at photographs, I think the Frequent Wind F-14's often flew without droptanks (but with the pylons installed) anyway.

Finally, you could use your P19 kit to practice building a Hasegawa 1/48 Tomcat, before you begin your ultimate "Frequent Wind" F-14A.

Best regards, Stefan.