Tamiya 1/32 F-15 Windshield Defects

I just bought the Tamiya 1/32 F-15E with Bunker Buster and noticed the windshield, while still on the sprue, has two very noticable scratches and/or cracks in it. They both run from the trailing edge, about 2/3 of the way to the leading edge - would be about the 11:00 and 2:00 positions as viewed from the pilot's seat.

I checked the other three Tamiya F-15 kits I have (original E, the C and the J) and they all have the exact same defects in the same locations.

Has anyone else seen this?

If so, and you have built the kit, are they surface flaws that will polish out (scratches) or are they within the plastic itself (cracks)?

If they are scratches, are they on the inner or outer surface?

Surprised to see this type of thing on this type of quality kit.

Matt Fay

IPMS #36085

I didn't have these on my Tamiya F-15E.

Look at the "cracks" under a magnifier. It might reveal something about them.

My first inclination would be to try a dip in Future. It might help and it can't hurt. Failing that, I guess it is time to get acquainted with Tamiya's spare parts dept.

Rick in Maine

No issues with my windsheild either, although one of windsheilds was broken upon arrival. Good thing the 'Bunker Buster' release comes with two sets of clear parts.

Are they both scratched like this?

Edited by smithery
Good thing the 'Bunker Buster' release comes with two sets of clear parts.

mine did'nt :worship:

Simon

Should have. Tamiya only added one clear seeker head for each of the GBU-28, GBU-15, and AGM-130 on the clear sprue. They had to add a second complete clear sprue just to give you enough parts to make two of each weapon.

I looked at three of my Tamiya F-15 kits, and only saw something like what you described in one. If they are what I think, you may not be able to do anything about it, except hope it goes away after a dip in Future. I think it may be a plastic flow line, which is actually in the plastic. When you have multiple sprue points, the molten plastic flows from each of those points and these plastic streams meet in the middle of the part. Sometimes I've seen in clear parts that this boundary remains visible. If this is the case, you can't do much about it as it's not a surface defect, it's actually in the plastic.

Edited by Dave Williams

Would be a good idea to get some plastic polish, from Bare Metal Foil company, and then clean well. Dip the glass in future and cover with an upturned glass to protect from dust. That will cure your issue.

HTH

Hi madmatt81 :worship:

The first set I got was detached from the sprue but still in the bag. Both windscreen and canopy had tiny micro-fractures around the stress point where they had been attached :cheers: but no major defects. Still decided not to use them as the tiny fractures were visible from certain angles.

The Hobby company supplied me with new sprues which arrived perfectly intact. :rolleyes:

:worship:

Should have. Tamiya only added one clear seeker head for each of the GBU-28, GBU-15, and AGM-130 on the clear sprue. They had to add a second complete clear sprue just to give you enough parts to make two of each weapon.

I just check and nope :blink: :(

Simon

Future had absolutely no effect. The lines I refer to are denoted by the green lines in the attached photo.

Matt I posted this to your item on HS 8 Sept.

"At first glance it appears to be a crack right thro' the canopy, but when you view from a shallow angle it is as if it is scratched inside and out ie it appears mirrored. I have seen this on both Tamiya and Trumpeter canopies.

I could not tell whether it was inside, outside or both. So I treated both surfaces with 1200 then 2000W&D, toothpaste and finally Bare-Metal plastic polish. A real pain but it did get rid of these marks. With all the manipulation required just make sure you don't actually crack the canopy during handling!!"

Re-read some of the future posts. You have to sand down the canopy part first as John Wolstenholme stated earlier. LAST thing is future.

Thanks, I'm well versed in scratch and mold line removal techniques. My point being that if it were a surface flaw, a dip in Future would at least minimize the appearance of the "scratch". Given that Future had zero effect, this suggests that the defect is not on the surface but rather within the part.

I subsequently used some diluted water color paint in a "Dye Penetrant" technique and they are definately not surface scratches.

I'll be calling Tamiya tomorrow.

Matt

I just dug my kit out and sure enough, there's a hairline crack in it. Just one, slightly off the centerline, a little longer than the ones in the above pic... ;)

Who makes a good aftermarket replacement?

Are the canopy frame detail parts that come with the kit nice and accurately detailed? B)

:rolleyes: