F-15C of 44 Squadron, 18 Wing

I'm building an Eagle from 44th Squadron, 18th Wing at Kadena. Here Is One Page and Here Is Another Page that show photos of the jets. I won't post the images directly since they are copyrighted.

As I understand the ModEagle paint scheme it consists of FS36176 Dark Grey and FS36251 Medium Grey. I got some Model Masters 1794 which is supposed to be FS36251 but it is much darker than the color shown on the jets in the photos above. Here is a sample of it:

colors.gif

The inset gray on the left side is (or should be!) the same as the light gray on the jets mentioned above.

So, my question is, did the jets at Kadena use a different color scheme, are they just faded in those photographs, or did I just get a strange bottle of paint? I'm tempted to just use Dark Ghost Gray and keep on with it, but I thought I'd ask here first. I searched for an answer first and didn't find anything helpful, but I could have missed it. Any help would be much appreciated.

well the Mod-Eagle scheme fades just like any other.but it could be a different paint as i've seen pics of other PACAF F-15C's were the FS36176 does look very blue in colour but that could be also to do with the light condidtions on the day the pics were taken..

post some pics of your finished F-15,there can never be enough Eagles on ARC!!(gotta do something to get rid of all those Tomcats on here!limpwrist.gif

post some pics of your finished F-15,there can never be enough Eagles on ARC!!(gotta do something to get rid of all those Tomcats on here!

Thanks for the help, Mungo. I appreciate it. I will post some pix when I get it done, just don't hold your breath. I've been working on it since July and have barely scratched the surface. Here is a photo of the "Office" and there are a few more on my web site (links in my signature)

cockpit.jpg

That's the first time I've used color PE on a cockpit and other than being a bit "Flat" it turned out pretty decently. I have cleaned up a few things since I took the pictures. Funny how you can notice thinge in photos you neverr see in real life.

As to the Tomcats, it could be worse. They might be Bugs!

Scott,

Wow - that office is looking great!

The darker grey out of the bottle is too dark - you could tone it down a bit with some white, or try Intermediate Blue (forgot FS number).

To show how the color can vary by color and sheen, and look very blue, check out Mass ANG Eagles here. They appeared freshly painted, and the sun was very bright on that October day.

Look forward to seeing your F-15.

Cheers

Ken

Wow - that office is looking great!

Thanks, Ken. I appreciate that. As I mentioned it's my first try with color PE and it felt a bit like cheating. I like doing cockpits but wanted to give the PE a try to see how it worked.

To show how the color can vary by color and sheen, and look very blue, check out Mass ANG Eagles here. They appeared freshly painted, and the sun was very bright on that October day.

Great Eagle pix. Thanks for the link.

The color variation is what I'm concerned about. The links I posted in my original post (I think the owner of that site is a member here. If so, thanks for making the photos available) show the jets in sunlight, in shadow, and in a hangar. Sunlight causes a color shift because of sky reflections, and hangars are usually lighted with either high pressure sodium (very yellow), mercury (very purple), or metal halide (sort of bluish) lights which cause all kinds of weird color shifts. That's why I couldn't decide whether they photos showed realistic colors or not.

I'm probably going to either lighten up the MM 1794 a bunch or just try and match the grays in the photos (dark ghost looks pretty close) and let it go at that. I figured with all the knowledgeable people on this forum I would get some good advice, and I already have.

Scott,

Looks very nice so far, here is a picture of the instrument panel from an Eagle; it might help with the detailing. http://gra.midco.net/mlgould/Jet%20Fighter...15C%20Eagle.JPG I can't emphasize enough that FS#'s are only guides, even in real life. Paint batches vary. The paint mixtures vary. Fading varies. Get a color you are comfortable with based on photos (which also vary due to lighting, photo equipment, film, developing, etc...). Some places (like Vance AFB on their T-38's) don't even use FS paints; they get them from the local paint store.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

Thanks again, guys. Ken the photos are great and really tell the story of how light changes colors. You guys are exactly right, and I'm just going to go with what I think is right. I like the colors in the photos and I'm going to match those and head forward with it. After all, I do have photos to back me up :wave:

Murph, thanks for the panel link. I have those images printed and in my notebook. I realize the PE panel is the old-style panel without the MFD's that were installed as part of the upgrade (can't remember what they called it), but I used what was available. I just really wanted to try a color PE set on this one, and that's what Eduard had available.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Scott,

I flew F-15C's in the 44th at Kadena. The pictures you posted in your original post were taken during the time frame I was there or shortly thereafter. I can tell from names on the plane as they are all guys I flew with. Timeframe was about 1993 or 1994 even though the date on the pictures shows 2000.

As to colors our jets were painted in the mod Eagle scheme and the pictures you have look identical to what I remember the hue/tone that I remember when looking at the jets. I don't know how this compares to what Model Master says is the colors should be but if you mix something that looks like the pictures you will be spot on.

For reference you will notice that in some of the pictures the radome is a light gray color instead of the mod eagle colors. The color you see in those pictures is FS36375 Light Ghost Gray. There was a time period after the jets were newly painted in mod eagle colors when there weren't enough dark gray radomes for all the jets. So they used the old light gray radomes on the mod eagle jets. We called them "snoopy" jets.

Hope this helps, and if you have more questions feel free to ask.

Darren McTee

Hey Darren! What's up man? :worship:

It was good seeing you again over in Atlanta and Meeting Mark H. What was on the menu at Folk's again? Lizzards n Gizzards? :lol:

Thanx for sharing info about that unit. I'll have to pick your brains when it comes to the F-15. :worship: I plan on building a Kadena bird, hopefully soon? I suppose Kadena Eagles all had MSIP upgrade at the timeframe and the Bay 5 was painted white? Is that correct?

Thanx buddy!

:wave:

What scale is that office? And, what kit is that? It's beautifully done.

Daryl it's a Tamiya 1/32 kit/ The PE is from Eduard (#32532) and, even though it doesn't show well in that photo, the seat is from Cutting Edge.

I don't know how this compares to what Model Master says is the colors should be but if you mix something that looks like the pictures you will be spot on.

Darren that's some great information and I really appreciate it. I knew you guys would get me pointed in the right direction. The MM color for FS36251 is what I show at the top of the post, and it is way, WAY off of what the photos indicate. If the light gray radomes are light ghost then the base gray must be something around the shade of dark gull gray or thereabouts.

Howdy Frank, Murph, Cyrus,

I'm laughing at my "Newbie" label. Obviously I never post here but you may see more of me here as I try and figure out this board. Speaking of board thats how I am starting to find Hyperscale's forum.

Cyrus...mmmm Lizzards & Gizzards I can smell em now! How's that snap-tite kit coming?

As for Kadena jets, in 1993-94 only one squadron (12th) and half of ours (44th) was MSIP. 67th had not started yet. All our Bay 5's remained metallic green even after the MSIP conversion.

Cool...now I have 2 posts.

Shead

Scott,

The base color is darker than 36320 and there is a slight brown hue to it. Kind of a dirty brown gray rather than a blue gray. I was thinking of making 36251 lighter and blueing it up slightly as the MM paint looks a little too brown.

I may be wrong in my previous post about the "snoopy" nose jets. The color was probably 36320.

Darren

I'm laughing at my "Newbie" label. Obviously I never post here but you may see more of me here as I try and figure out this board. Speaking of board thats how I am starting to find Hyperscale's forum.

Shead,

I hope it isn't the "C" grade modelers getting in your way ? (I see there is some discussion about that)

:thumbsup:

Frank C (C as in "C grade")

All our Bay 5's remained metallic green even after the MSIP conversion.

Shead,

Just to update that (there has been some recent discussion on repaints), I received an e-mail from one of the bros at Kadena several months ago, and they are still green. The Bay 5 floors on some jets are tending to get weird looking though (mix of primer and white), because of scuffing and touch ups.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph