Being from a Brit family and having done training over there while I was in the Airborne up here, I can say this is how the airfields are over there!!! NO KIDDING

I was at a crossing one day in a jeep and these train gaurds came down. Well, I'm sitting there like a knob wondering....?????? *** ?????? there are no tracks........well holy crap here comes this bloody Typhoon just as low as this phantom across the friggin road. Not all of them but there are a few who do use the "civilian" roads as part as the approach and there are even some who's runway cross the roads.

Also, one thing to take into acount is what type of landing is he doing? Is it a specialty landing? If it is, he could be practicing or conducting a short field landing. I can't see a phantom doing a soft field. Anyway, for short field we are taught to come in at a much more shallow glide angle than a regular landing glide and to touch down as soon as we pass the thresh hold. Once touchdown, we apply full brakes and stop as soon as possible. This would definatley explain the low attitude.

:o

Edited by maddog
were missing some shadows on the ground ;) :wave:

knowitce the bushes shadow, and the absence of any on the field under the plane :D

jsut kiddin!

Look a little closer, there is a shadow of the Phantom on the ground ... ;)

Gregg

Believe me guys, this is reality. If I am not misstaken, this is Gilze-Rijen Airbase in Holland. I have been there many times and seen this kind of approaches often. In the good old days, when there were still American Deployments there, I remember one deployment of Eagles (FF code), who were actually trying to make the lowest approach and after that compared our pictures to see who has won. ;)

Regards, Sietse

Holland

No special knowledge or experience, but I'm afarid I'd be in the "fake" camp. There is no airfield that I know of in the UK where the end of the runway would be so close to a public road that this type of approach would be necessary. Also, safety concious officials would ensure that the public would be kept far further back than is shown here by means of traffic control light/barriers. Further, no one appears to be covering their ears here - tht F4 must be pretyy loud!

RAF Valley has a public road passing very close to one end of the runway, however, there are traffic lights going red whenever an aircraft is on approach. This one is not as low as the F-4, but still low enough for a couple of good pictures.

P7281524.jpg

Absolutey fantastic how close to the runway you're allowed at RAF Valley with no extra security.

Lothar

There is no airfield that I know of in the UK where the end of the runway would be so close to a public road that this type of approach would be necessary.

Ever been to Shetland? The road at the end of the runway has traffic lights to stop traffic when an approach is made.

were missing some shadows on the ground  :cheers:  :worship:

knowitce the bushes shadow, and the absence of any on the field under the plane  :worship:

jsut kiddin!

Look a little closer, there is a shadow of the Phantom on the ground ... :worship:

Gregg

Yep, definately a shadow, you can see it on the right-hand side of the road, ended just about at the center line.

Also, note that there is some cloud cover and the lighting is diffused, making shadows less distinct.

Looks legit to me.