Best Time For Attaching Tail Surfaces

Hello,

Ever since I've been back into modeling aircraft, I have been attaching all surfaces(tail) then painting the model. However, lately, I've been noticing builds in the forums where the person building will do all of the main assembly and not attach the tail surfaces (horizontal stabilizers). The surfaces and the rest of the model are painted separate and attached afterwards. Phantom Phixer's F-4 and a 109 in the Battle of Brittain Group build were done this way. In both cases, I saw where it would be easier, and I plan to try it in my next build. Which method would be the best method? Is therwe any problems with glue oozing out after the painted tail surfaces are attached? TIA

The problem with attaching the tail surfaces after painting is that it's virtually impossible to fill/sand the seam without damaging the paintwork. Even if it's an almost perfect fit of parts, there's still the danger of glue being squeezed out (as you've suggested). I don't think I've yet built a kit that hasn't needed some work on the tailplane-to-fuselage join. You could get away with it with some modern jets where the tailplanes are designed to move but with most aircraft with fixed tail surfaces, I just can't see how it could be done.

What I do depends on what the real aircraft had. On those with conventional tailplane and elevator, I attach before painting, as there's usually a tailplane/fuselage joint to deal with. On those with an "all-flying" tailplane there is by definition a separation, and I often find it easier to paint first and attach afterwards (eg F-4 Phantom, A-7 Corsair II). However, ultimately, it depends on what suits you for the model you are building at the time.

HTH,

Edited by MikeC

I've gotten to where I keep the stabs separate until the main fuselage is painted; by keeping the stabs off the rest of the model until near the end I can also paint them without worrying about messing up the fuselage (especially if there's a different underside color).

On the Hase 1/72 AV-8 B Harrier II I completed earlier this year, some of the decals go on very close to the point where the stabs meet the fuselage (actually kind of tucked up behind the little "fins" on the stabs), and since the stabs were all one color, it worked out quite well to leave them off til afer everything was decaled.

:thumbsup:

Old Blind Dog

Usually I letf the tail planes out until the final assembly, when the model is already painted and, sometimes, even decaled. For aircraft with conventional tailplane and elevator, the key is dry-fitting until you get a satisfactory join between the parts!

:bandhead2:

Serelle