Which camo should I do my B-1B in?

What camoflage paintjob should my B-1B Lancer be in?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What camoflage paintjob should my B-1B Lancer be in?

• European Green/Gray
    • Overall Tactical Grey Scheme

Am planning on starting the 1/48 scale B-1B Lancer (once I get it...) I'm partial to the Overall Gray TPS used by most B-1Bs now.

I'm wondering what most people would pick as their favorite scheme and why for this big bomber.

Also can anyone point out to me what aftermarket I should look for, for this big beauty?

My choice would be Euro One. It's my favourite camo and I think it makes the Bone look very sinister and evil. Actually, it makes most planes look sinister. I wish that at least some of the operational Vipers had carried this scheme too, and the F-4 looked so much better in that than in Hill II.

:cheers:

Since most of Euro One Bones were still fitted with featers on the exhaust nozzles before changing to the featherless ones, that color scheme also allows you to save on resin nozzles.... and a lot of work!

I want to do that scheme when I build mine.

And it's something different from the boring Gunship Gray.

Davide

From a 'I hate masking and like only having to get one colour of paint for the whole thing' perspective - you can't beat overall Gunship Grey.

Animal - Let's see some of those newly acquired kits being built! You've got some great stuff and I can't wait to see how great it you get it all put together!

From a 'I hate masking and like only having to get one colour of paint for the whole thing' perspective - you can't beat overall Gunship Grey.

Animal - Let's see some of those newly acquired kits being built! You've got some great stuff and I can't wait to see how great it you get it all put together!

I think I'm shaking in my boots.... :rofl: too much to open them just yet. Nice kits, expensive kits...hmmm...do I feel I've got the guts to open 'em up?? Uh... :beer4:

Mini-rant coming...

Guys, the B-1 was never in the Euro I scheme. That was a TAC & MAC scheme. The B-1 was in the Strategic scheme, which was a SAC paint scheme.

Whats the difference you ask? The Euro I scheme has two greens & one gray. On the F-4, it was sometimes refered to as the Lizard scheme. Gunship grey replaced the tan areas from the SEA scheme, but the dark & medium green areas remained the same.

The Strategic scheme has two greys (36081 Euro 1 , & 36118 Gunship)& one green (34086 Green Drab). The green faded to a brown looking color over time. This is as far as I've gotten on painting mine in the Strategic scheme. Yes, its the 1/48th kit, & I'm using the Early Bones Fox One sheet.

top_overv.jpg

bot_overv.jpg

Chris Ish

Edited by Ishthe47guy

well mine will be in the overal grey (that is only because of the Memphis bell nose art that was on the cutting edge 1/48 sheet :worship:)

But if I wanted to go for a what if :cheers: it would be overal Black with some nice skull and bones on the tail :wave: (probably stolen from a jolly rogers sheet then :woo: sorry :thumbsup:)

I'd only do a "what if" scheme on a 1/144th scale kit. It takes to long to build the 1/48th kit as it is.

While we are on the "what if" schemes, what about the SAC SEA scheme on the B-52D ?

like this one

The silver & white scheme seems interesting & easy to bo as well. I'm motivated to take some more pics of the one I've got going tonight & post them tomorrow. I've got the MLG bay glued in & the fwd fuselage section about 85% complete.

Chris Ish

• 2 weeks later...

I would definately go with the ACC gunship gray scheme-not only is it more attractive and makes the BONE look that much more sexy :lol: -but there are not too many decals for the old SAC scheme. I have a 1/72nd BONE from Aifix-stay far away from this kit :lol: Oh, and by the way, there ARE featherless "cans' available for the 1/48 BONE by Cutting Edge. Couple that with the resin towed-target by shull24.com, and you got yourself a true 'BAD-To-da BONE' B-ONE!!!

BONE's 4-EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :lol: