This is the Macross SDF1 from the Japanese anime series "Macross" (I came to know it as Robotech, a series in the 1980's that largely bastardized the original series).

The kit:

This kit is the Yellow Submarine resin kit of the Macross SDF1 in cruiser mode. Actually it is a recast of that kit by a Japanese company called G-System. There were no decals and the kit needed a ton of clean up. I also had to pin lots of the parts because the weight of the kit was too much on several of the joints. I weathered it heavily with pastels and oil washes. I wanted to make sure it looked like it fell to earth. The engine bell area was done with Alclads burnt metal and exhaust. The rest was done with Tamiya acrylics. I used a small Aztec-ing affect to give the open spots some character. I'm particularly pleased with the Space Carriers (aka the arms of the Macross), which came out well, I think. By the way... this is my second resin kit ever... I'm pretty pleased. I did it for the Armorama.com Capital Cruiser Campaign (a good reason to complete this kit).

Macross_SDF1_-_profile.JPG

Macross_SDF1_-_engine.JPG

Macross_SDF1_-_carrier.JPG

Macross_SDF1_-_bottom.JPG

Background:

In 1999, The Space Station New Frontier confirms that object of mammoth size is heading towards Earth. The falling object is determined to be an alien spaceship, specifically a war vessel, and its alien crew to be giants whose height is five times that of Humans. In preparation for alien warfare, a plan is drafted to unify the countries of Earth and to establish an Earth U.N. Government. Research on anti-giant combat weaponry systems ([later designated as] Battroid and Destroid) begins. These transforming fighter jets, or Valkyries, provided the backbone of the Earth's defense against the alien invaders. Many of these fighters were housed in the two Space Carriers (ARMD-1 and ARMD-2) that were affixed to the Macross and form its arms when it transforms into a robot. During the Macross's space launching ceremony. The Zentradi Army's Vrlitwhai Fleet arrives (after it had detected traces of the Macross's defold reaction). This begins the Space War 1...

I own and built the "Storm Attacker mode" 1/4000 SDF-01 kit of the UNS Macross. (unfortunately I don't have any pics of the completely model... I really need to take some). Yellow Submarine did a fantastic job on these kits, I was very happy with the one I built!

When I was still heavily into Macross model-building, Hobbyfan and E2046 were THE sites to go to (G-system had yet to work on Macross stuff, I bought one of the Yellow Submarine Originals when it came out). Now I just need for one of the recasters over at Macross World to decide to do another B-club 1/48 "Ultimate Strike Valkyrie" kit recast (again)... I'd almost lay down the $300 to do it if they could find 25 others who would also do it.

Thats one sweet little model you have there :D

I just wish we could get a steyrene 1/48 VF-1 from Hasegawa but looking at what they charge for their 1/72 kits it may end up costing as much as a resin one :(

-Damian (closet Macross builder)

ps. VF-0B in Black Aces markings comming soon to an ARC near you!

I thought the 1/72nd Hasegawa VF's are pretty reasonable. You can get an old VF-1 for about $20. The VF-0s will go for about $30. And you are correct about the 1/48th resin VF-1's. The Ultimate Detail 1/48ths go for $400-$500 and a Hobbyfan recast will cost you at least $300. But that Ultimate Detail VF-1 is a pretty amazing kit from what I understand (I've never actually seen one up close).

Here is what the kit comes with

48strike-side.jpg

And here it is completed

cm48_8.jpg

cm48_9.jpg

Edited by My_name_1s_MUD

to my knowledge, the 1/48 Ultimate Detail Strike Valkyrie is currently out of print (they have to wait until they have enough pre-orders to run a set). I believe it's the same for the two UNS Macross models, although I cannot remember. The last thing I bought from Hobbyfan was an VF-4G recast that I sold like a month later.

This is the Macross SDF1 from the Japanese anime series "Macross" (I came to know it as Robotech, a series in the 1980's that largely bastardized the original series).

WOW! Cool stuff.

Question on the model, I've only seen the US Robotech series. When in the series did the SDF-1 look like this?

Thanks- Toad

HEY! That's 900 posts for me!

WOW! Cool stuff.

Question on the model, I've only seen the US Robotech series. When in the series did the SDF-1 look like this?

Thanks- Toad

Basically it was a movie that condensed the 15 hour story of "Super Dimension Fortress: Macross" into a 2 hour movie. All new animation (some of the finest hand drawn animation EVER, even now!) and the creator, Shoji Kawamorii, took the opportunity to re-vamp some of the designs a little. The Valkyries were altered slightly, and the SDF-01 was designed as it was originally meant to be seen (it was supposed to link up with the ARMD platforms in the TV series also, but they were destroyed during the linkup process in the 3rd episode) along with a couple of other design changes.

Bear in mind, the Macross saga of Robotech only shares animation with SDF: Macross. There are many areas were the dialogue is completely different (and there are no poor concepts like "the robotech masters" or "the flower of life" or anything like that). Macross has many of it's own sequels and has continued to be popular in Japan over the years, where Robotech has pretty much rotted into the ground (they're "trying" to get a new series off the ground, and that's a whole 'nother can of worms, but I don't think it will finish... I cannot stand Robotech....)

LOL, I'd better stop. My old fanboy days are starting to re-surface.. I'll sum it up like this:

SDF Macross= Cool

Robotech= about as much fun as getting your stomach pumped.

I like the Battroid designs that FASA licensed for use in the Battletech tabletop miniatures game.

marauder-01a.jpg

The Battletech MAD-3R Marauder was derived from the Zentraedi Officers Pod from the Macross series (later Robotech - a condensed and more kiddified version)

<_<

MikeJ

WOW! Cool stuff.

Thanks- Toad

Basically it was a movie that condensed the 15 hour story of "Super Dimension Fortress: Macross" into a 2 hour movie. All new animation (some of the finest hand drawn animation EVER, even now!) and the creator, Shoji Kawamorii, took the opportunity to re-vamp some of the designs a little. The Valkyries were altered slightly, and the SDF-01 was designed as it was originally meant to be seen (it was supposed to link up with the ARMD platforms in the TV series also, but they were destroyed during the linkup process in the 3rd episode) along with a couple of other design changes.

Bear in mind, the Macross saga of Robotech only shares animation with SDF: Macross. There are many areas were the dialogue is completely different (and there are no poor concepts like "the robotech masters" or "the flower of life" or anything like that). Macross has many of it's own sequels and has continued to be popular in Japan over the years, where Robotech has pretty much rotted into the ground (they're "trying" to get a new series off the ground, and that's a whole 'nother can of worms, but I don't think it will finish... I cannot stand Robotech....)

LOL, I'd better stop. My old fanboy days are starting to re-surface.. I'll sum it up like this:

SDF Macross= Cool

Thanks for the explianatin.

So, can someone get Macross in the US? Is it on DVD or anything? I have a few of the Robotech episdoes on DVD but always wanted to sse the origional Macross amd the 2-hour movie.

WOW! Cool stuff.

Thanks- Toad

SDF Macross= Cool

Skull Leader = OTAKU

:lol:

-Damian

ps. M7 was pretty cool once you got used to the songs! "Fry away! Fry away!..."

• 6 years later...

I wouldn't go so far to say that Robotech involved stomach pumping. It introduced some interesting concepts that IMHO made Macross a potentially bigger story and Robotech certainly had a better storyline than what was on US television at the time (although I admit Robotech Masters is a poor fit into the story, like somebody took a sledge hammer to get that square peg to fit into a round hole). I don't consider one superior to the other really as both have laid some eggs (Macross 7 and the Firebombers anyone?). Now I admit the whole Harmony Gold licensing situation has mucked things up a bit, meaning we can't get the Hasegawa Macross models on shelves in this country, but there is always HLJ.com for stuff like that.