What is left of the USS Alabama

To be honest, it really could be worse.

I understand the ship lists because it rests on the mud bottom to begin with and the mud shifted - so the list is supposedly not due to taking on water.

The aircraft seem like they should be within the capabilities of some of the restoration experts...

And really, all the other human tragedy considered, I humbly submit this rather pales in comparison.... just my $.02

It probably now looks like one of those destroyed ones in AMARC. If that much damage happened to the hangar and gift shop buildings then that BUFF on the pole is probably off the pole and on the ground with broken wings.

The Bradley Air Museum (Hartford, Ct.) looked just as bad after a tornado tore it apart. All of the outside aircraft (B-47, B-29.....) took a lot of damage. But they seem to have recovered. It takes time and a lot of dedication......

I could've sworn that I saw an SR-71 that took some damage in there. Am I right??

James, they have a A-12 there so I think that's what you seen ...

I had seen that YF-17 fly at Pt. Mugu way back in 78 ...

Gregg

I could've sworn that I saw an SR-71 that took some damage in there.  Am I right??

James, they have a A-12 there so I think that's what you seen ...

I had seen that YF-17 fly at Pt. Mugu way back in 78 ...

Gregg

I think this is the underside of their A-12 (Blackbird not Avenger II! :bandhead2: )

pavillionint02.jpg

Yep pretty sad indeed.

Here is a link to the NOAA satellite page of the devestated areas.

http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/katrina/KATRINA0000.HTM

and here is a link directly to the sat-image of the USS Alabama location.

http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/storms/katrina/24541700.jpg

Note, The F-4 by the main gate looks bad,B-52 looks ok,C-47 next to it looks ok except for the horizontal tail and right wing.

The HU-16 Albatross looks like some kind of damage on left wing also is that the original location?

F-14 by main bldg looks ok. Lot of dirt and debris everywhere. :angry: