Longbow shot down by farmer?

Does anyone know what the tail number for that 1st Cav 227th AVN Longbow shot down by the "farmer" in the early days of the war? And possibly any pics? I would ask my brother who volunteered to go with that unit but its supposed to be a surprise for him. Also read that it had a bat on the tail? Hmm, any help would be great. Thanks boys.

Well as the title is phrased like as a question i shall answer it.......

20030325-201502-Iraq_Trofei_s2.jpg

Yes the Longbow was claimed by the Iraqi authorities and television to of been downed by a lone farmer(pictured). Whilst this may well be propaganda, it is plausable that the farmer did indeed get lucky. However I suggest we avoid discussion over Iraqi claims or the Apache's record in OIF as the moderators will probably get involved :cheers:

Plenty of pics are available online, a simply yahoo/google image search for "Iraq Apache" will give you pages of results so try that and other combinations etc. Be aware there are a number of crash sites in Iraqi, the one in question easily identifyable due to being in a grassy field. Video footage is also available, as most of the pics are videocaps of the iraqi report.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/imag...eb-t&fl=0&x=wrt

Sorry I can't help you with the aircraft details more but hopefully omeone else can or some searching will yield results.

HTH

Edited by Mandrake
I believe it was mechanical problems that forced it down. The damage so prominently displayed by Saddam's friends in the media was inflicted after the fact.

Silverfox,

No it was shot down by AAA (at least according to one of the crewmembers). http://www.tradoc.army.mil/pao/Web_special...avewilliams.htm

REgards,

Murph

Thanks Rotorhead. Thats what I was looking for. Would you happen to know anything about the bat on the virtical stab? Well I think I got the Cav decals nailed down. Just waiting on my photoetch from greatmodels.com thats 9 weeks over due. Thanks for everything boys.

Would you happen to know anything about the bat on the virtical stab?

Well, according to the text and profile in Osprey's "AH-64 Apache Unit of Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom"... it had a black vampire bat insignia above the serial number on the tail and the the bat was outlined in white.

Not sure if that information is accurate or not.

See almost no damage... The thing definitely was not hit by regular 23mm or similar AAA.. Looks like small arms fire... (7,62mm maybe?)

It was brought down with twigs and gravel, buddy. Pilot was doing Kobra manuever when Iraqi farmer threw twigs and gravel at unproven cowboy junk's main rotor.

I am done with this.