Another one I did right before moving. Strange that the models survived the move just fine but I can't find the roll of film I shot of this and the other one I finished before moving (I took them outside, on a sunny day, with posterboard backdrop and everything, too!). These pictures are from my relatively simple Sony Cybershot 3.2 Megapixel camera. Aside from being a touch dark, I'm pleasantly surprised at how they tuned out.

Anyway, the kit is Revell's 1/48 F-15E with Cutting Edge resin conversion kit to make it an F-15I, and Isracal decals. I got the entire thing as a package deal from Dave Roof once upon a time. The paint is Testor's Model Master.

Two things in retrospect - I did not know until AFTER doing the cockpit that F-15I cockpits are painted in all black for NVG (who'd have thought - I've got probably 250 hours on NVGs in a "normal" gray cockpit and seem to have gotten by just fine! :thumbsup: ). Second, I think the "dark tan" color is a bit stark in comparison to the sand and sky colors - I think I should have "cut" it a bit to tone it down and match the pictures I worked from in Air Forces Monthly.

But other than that, I'm pretty pleased. One of my better efforts to date - good warm up for the Prowler project!

Big thanks to Albert Moore (who knows a lot more about Israeli aircraft than I do and answered a few questions for me) and Ken Middleton (who bailed me out when I had mislaid the instructions! Ken - please PM your address so I can send them back!) :soapbox:

F-15I_4.jpg

F-15I_3.jpg

F-15I_2.jpg

F-15I_1.jpg

Edited by Karl Sander

Albert Moore??? peshaw, What does he know....

Hi Karl,

Excellent looking Ra'am! Glad I was able to help where I could. Next time you look to build another IDF airplane in desert camo, get a tin of Humbrol Middlestone (Hu121). It's a near perfect match for the FS33531 color used on IDF aircraft.

PS-Did you get a case of space madness from applying all those stencil decals? :)

Thanks all!

The Cutting Edge set went together very well. Converting from an F-15E wasn't really all that hard at all - if you've never done any sort of after market conversion project before, I'd say this one makes for a benign introduction!

Yes, I'm still slightly batty from the stencils!

Ken - I didn't know I had sent the instructions back. I must be more with it than I thought; of course, I might have done that before I did the stencils....

Karl,

that looks terrific!

How hard is it to convert an E to the IDF I?

Regards,

--Frank

Karl, nice work, looks good.

Frank: I did mine without the CE set. Check it out here if you're interested. It's not hard at all really.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal3...olz/gal2308.htm

Joe,

thanks for posting that link - that's a great article! Great model as well.

I have one of these mostly painted and quite far in assembly. I don't think I am going to make mine an F-15I because I don't feel like going backwards. I wish I had known more about them back when I started it.

thanks man

:thumbsup::woot.gif:

--Frank

Karl -

Excellent job on 269!!

As a reward for your outstanding effort - here's a photo I took three years ago of 269 at DM.

Great work!!

ATB -

- W -

Edited by RipVW