F-104G German Marine colo(u)r matches...?

The F-104G in The Stash is not one for the Bassaltgrau/Silbergrau version.

What matches are there by brand or do these colors need mixing? If so, where is a source that I can access mixing quantities?

Also, is the orange da-glo?

Thanks,

Daryl J.

Edited by Daryl J.

None of the colours are available in the three brands you mention. They are available in enamel from Xtracolor and/or Revell (of Germany), and of course Don Color (follow the jpsmodelle link in the posting above).

I do not know of any source with mixing ratios unfortunately.

The top colour was RAL 7012, basaltgrau.

Silbergrau (RAL 7001) was not used as an undersurface colour on Marineflieger Starfighters. Instead RAL 9006 (white aluminium) was used. This is, for all practical purposes, painted aluminium - you can use you favourite aluminium paint here. One of the German magazines (Flugzeug or Jet&Prop) had an article on Marineflieger Starfighters a dozen years ago atleast, when the Starfighters were being retired. Photo captions in this article pointed out that several of the Starfighters had light grey underurfaces - I would assume the same as then being used on the Tornados RAL 7035 (light grey).

Anders

. One of the German magazines (Flugzeug or Jet&Prop) had an article on Marineflieger Starfighters a dozen years ago atleast, when the Starfighters were being retired. Photo captions in this article pointed out that several of the Starfighters had light grey underurfaces - I would assume the same as then being used on the Tornados RAL 7035 (light grey).

Anders

That had to be very few F-104G, as I have never heard of it, or seen it before. In the 70ties some had the Radom painted grey instead of glasfiber and a black antiglare, but those were also very rare

I built this 1/48 Hasegawa kit in 2003. I understand your frustrations in finding the right colors because I did a lot of research on the subject and found the same problems you are finding in trying to find a match.

Here is what I did:

Top Surface is Model Master FS36176 F-15 Dark Gray

Bottom is Model Master FS36320

Nose Cone Model Master FS16473 Aircraft Gray

Bottom might not be correct but from the MANY photos I looked at they always looked more gray than silver to me.

Darren McTee

Like asvennevik says,the color of German Marine 104 is RAL 9006 not 7001.

Plz look at this picture (note the difference of colors between the radome and the fuselage)

Taken from the book "Vikings for take off" made by Axel Ostermann,ex MFG 2 Starfighter Pilot.

1024_3331633934376163.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've decided I'd like to do a relatively "simple" jet and I've got a question about the German Navy F-104.

I've got the Eagle Strike decal sheet #48057 and it says the colors for a 1983 era jet are RAL 7012 - Basaltgrau and RAL 7035 Lichtgrau.

Could anybody confirm or deny that information? I've checked around some and haven't come up with anything positive.

Thanks in advance,

George