ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
madmike

Armstrong Whitsworth Siskin

Hi all...

With the up-coming Matchbox GB nearly nigh, I have decided to build one of Matchbox's gem 1:72 kits, the Armstrong Whitsworth Siskin.

I have next to no info available for this little 20's era biplane and am wondering if anyone would have clear pics of the cockpit and rigging in particular?

Many thanks

:cheers:

MikeJ

Hi all...

With the up-coming Matchbox GB nearly nigh, I have decided to build one of Matchbox's gem 1:72 kits, the Armstrong Whitsworth Siskin.

I have next to no info available for this little 20's era biplane and am wondering if anyone would have clear pics of the cockpit and rigging in particular?

Many thanks

:blink:

MikeJ

"No need to go overboard." Who again said that? ;-)

I beg your pardon?

Crikey, I just want to rig the model and get the cockpit colours right!

This is the best I have, no cockpit pics but this just about shows the rigging

Regards,

Norrie

Norrie

Thanks mate, should be an easy exercise with some stretched sprue.

I have not rigged a biplane since I was 14!

:blink:

MikeJ

I beg your pardon?

Crikey, I just want to rig the model and get the cockpit colours right!

Just pulling your leg, mate! The quote was from your opening post of the Matchbox Madness thread.

I don't consider adding rigging to a biplane as going overboard, actually I doubt anyone would either. I did not even mention scratchbuilding a cockpit either.

I was rigging Matchbox biplanes using stretched sprue at the age of 14, so no surprise I want to do the same again.

None of my books have clear pics of the rigging attachment points, which is why I have asked the question in the hope someone more knowledgeable about the Siskin could help me sort the mystery out.

My exact words in the Matchbox thread were;

1:72 Aircraft kits only with no aftermarket PE/Resin, aftermarket decals allowed if required. Scratchbuilding to improve a cockpit is fine but there will be no need to go overboard.

MikeJ

Edited by madmike

I don't consider adding rigging to a biplane as going overboard.

Neither do I, I started doing this at age 14 when building the P-12E. As I said, just pulling your leg.

It's just that I like the refreshing "no frills" approach of the Matchbox Madness GB.

It's just that I like the refreshing "no frills" approach of the Matchbox Madness GB.

That is certainly the goal of the GB. Thommo and I want us all to retreat to our teens, before we noticed other "things"

MikeJ

:cheers: Hi Mike, the January 2005 issue of 'Military in Scale' had an article on building the Matchbox AW Siskin, you may wish to source a copy out.

:unsure:

Robin.

:D Hi Mike, the January 2005 issue of 'Military in Scale' had an article on building the Matchbox AW Siskin, you may wish to source a copy out.

Robin.

Robin

Cheers for that mate....Now where to find one!

;)

MikeJ

Just fired an email off, Hopefully this will give me some clear pics of the rigging.

A build review is most useful!

:rolleyes: and thanks

MikeJ

Mike, I would recommend the book 'On Silver Wings', it has drawings, photo's etc. Sorry but the author and publisher escape me at the moment. Careful though, you may end up looking for every kit/accessory/decal sheet relating to between the wars RAF biplanes!

Peebeep

I found a copy using advance book exchange - but US$83?

Strewth!

Sounds like I need to check the library out, sounds like a good book though!

:lol: and thanks for the info :cheers:

MikeJ

Hiya,

I have the a Siskin plans book and the On Silver Wings book. If you want, I'll scan anything useful tomorrow evening (the scanner's on the wife's computer and she's currently using it!). I have a real soft spot for the Siskin, which may explain how I ended up with eight of the buggers!

Cheers,

Mark.

Right, I've scanned a couple of pages from the Siskin Data Plan booklet that has some good 1/72 plans plus some sectional drawings in 1/36. As I've kept the files fairly large (around 750kb) to maintain integrity (they should print nicely) I will put them up on my photobucket album here:

http://photobucket.com/albums/1003/lasermo...f/?sc=1&multi=2

I shall add extra drawings and pertinent photos over the next few days. There's quite a nice set of squadron markings plans in the booklet too.

Edit: there's 9 pages up now, so get busy with those Siskins, guys! I want to see models!!!

HTH,

Mark.

Edited by lasermonkey

Hi!

These plans are great, but one thing is still missing. Namely, I would like to build a 2-seater in Estonian markings. The photos and these drawings clearly show that 2-seater had different wing with greater dihedral than single-seaters. Unfortunately, these scale plans do not show front projection of two-seater to see this dihedral.

Does anyone have anything to help with?

Marko

Lasermonkey you are a star, I might add this to the Matchbox GB. Are you joining in? I have Modeldecal 31a, those black & white checks would look FAB.

Peebeep

Hiya,

I did a Siskin not that long ago, straight from the box, including the kit decals which went on really well! Who knows, I may be tempted to do another. I also have that Modeldecal set, but I'm tempted to do a 19Sqn machine.

Cheers,

Mark.

ps I'll try to add the stuff from Silver Wings soon.

What markings come with the Matchbox kit? I don't suppose anyone would be interested in some Siskin decals would they? (a between-the-wars biplane, OOP kit and in 1/72 scale- should sell like hot cakes...)

What markings come with the Matchbox kit? I don't suppose anyone would be interested in some Siskin decals would they? (a between-the-wars biplane, OOP kit and in 1/72 scale- should sell like hot cakes...)

:thumbsup:

Actually, they would not set the world on fire, but I can wish, can't I ?

Depending on how many you need to sell it may or may not be worthwhile,

no on second thought - stick to world shattering items like the smoke rings......

:crying:

What markings come with the Matchbox kit?

29 or 32 Squadron

Peebeep

Mike

That sounds good :lol:

:wave:

MikeJ (looking for another Siskin in preparation for some beaut new decals)

What markings come with the Matchbox kit?

29 or 32 Squadron

Peebeep

And Modeldecal did ones for 43 Squadron on sheet 31A