Thanks guys.

Dennis: Given the vintage of the kit, the surface detail is very good. Fine recessed lines etc. There are a few sink marks, I think 2 or 3 on the fuselage and a couple on the wing undersides; nothing serious. From dry fitting, overall fit of parts is also good. With careful glueing, the wing/fuselage joint won't need filling at all. The one exception is the nose cone, no matter how it's attached, there'll be a step somewhere that will need trimming/filling.

The faults with the kit tend to be in the detail. Undercarriage bays are very bare, and cockpit is a bit basic. The Eduard brass addresses both of these areas. I'm also told that the spinners aren't quite the right shape, with the central hole being slightly too large. Not a huge deal. Overall, I'm quite impressed, and it's the only game in town for an early mark 110.

Steve: From a cutaway in one of my books, the boxes are identified as cannon magazines, and they're in approximately the right position. The Eduard brass set suggested replacing these with what looks like radar and electronics boxes, which obviously is not appropriate for this variant.

regards,

Jason

Cockpit installed:

Edited by Jason C-C

Thanks, Jason, the cannon ammo boxes make sense. I ran across this pic in an old "Wings" magazine article. It doesn't say what variant the plane is..are you saying it's not an early (110C) model?

Also, what color scheme are you using? I'm also doing an EGr 210 bird, but I'm trying to decide between 70/71/65, 71/02/65, and 74/75/76.

Thanks,

Steve

I can't say for sure whether the kit is correct with respect to the boxes, it may be that the equipment shown in your photo is standard fit on a 110C. Looks like some form of compass repeater on the right, and perhaps nav gear or electrics in the centre-left. I've seen another pic which is similar to yours, so perhaps the cannon ammunition boxes were lower down.

I'm planning on doing a 110D from 2./EprGr 210, S9+DK. As far as I can tell, this aircraft was wearing 71/02/65 when it was shot down in September 1940, on a raid to Yate (which is incidentally just up the road from me!).

Jason

Edited by Jason C-C

Hi Jason, you mentioned the hole in the spinner being too large. I'm not sure about the hole itself being too large but the 'tube' in the center is definitely too large. I carved mine out and inserted smaller diameter aluminium (did I say that right ? ;) ) tubing.

I think it makes a noticeable improvement in the overall look.

This is a Battle of France era bird I built in the '90s.

110cB.jpg

Mike

a

b

e

n

...hth and have fun :monkeydance:

Jason, really looking good! I'm waiting for some of my aftermarket stuff to arrive so I can start my 110, now that I have the right instructions (thanks again for that). I picked up the Airwaves PE set, I will be interested to see how it compares to the Eduard set, being about half the price, I wonder if it will contain about half the pieces?