JetBlue Nose Gear

Actually those pics are from an earlier landing gear problem from a few years ago. The plane involed in last weeks event was N536JB "Canyon Blue". Not Blue Bird, N503JB. The same landing gear problem happen with a United flight before too.

jason

Whether it's LAX or not, what's also interesting is that the runway surface looks like it's not very damaged at all. I was half expecting a really deep gouge with all that weight on it. :cheers: Looks like the wheel had more damage than the runway.

Edited by SimFixer
Actually those pics are from an earlier landing gear problem from a few years ago...The same landing gear problem happened with a United flight before too.

jason

So that makes three known and identicle landing gear incidents with the same series of AC? Is there a known cause for this type of malfunction? You just have to think that eventually the gear is going to totally fail and buckle on one of these landings if this happens a few more times with not good results for some people onboard :cheers: .

Regards,

Don :o

Don't quote me but the story I get from Airbus guys I work with is that the nose gear does some logic checks as it starts to retract. If the logic hits a snag, it redeploys and the wheel is turned 90 degrees. :cheers: Now....I'm just a simple guy but wouldn't be easier to leave the wheel straight and install a telelight in the cockpit? Yeesh!!

Actually, most of the burning noted during the LAX landing was caused by the frictional heating of the wheel hub igniting the runway stripes. If you watch the replay, every time a runway stripe is passed over the flames burn more brightly. The runway stripes at LAX are the adhesive type, rather than painted on and the heat caused by the friction exceeded the flash point of the stripes. The remains of the nose gear hub self extinguished moments after the aircraft came to a stop. Again, this was a nice normal landing with an extraordinary configuration.

ATB –

- Rip -

Edited by RipVW
Again, this was a nice normal landing with an extraordinary configuration.

Agreed, though the taxi to the gate would have been interesting.

"Is it just me, or does it seem to take an extra fistful of throttle to taxi? And what's with the steering anyway???"